The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

All comes down to the offensive line and the run game. We know that they can out athlete people. They have done that virtually every year. They have had better athletes than Michigan the past few years, but Michigan was more physical and they were the one grinding it out and controlling the game. They need to start turning these 1st and 10s into 2nd and 3. Ryan Day has still not given up on the finesse zone running scheme to no surprise. At least there is somewhat of a running threat at quarterback this year which will help, but still. If they reach a point where they are actually imposing their will on the ground then there will be more reason for excitement from me. Until then I have not seen any changes in the past weaknesses on offense. 

47 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We’ve missed this sooooo bad at QB

And we showed absolutely nothing as far as play calling is concerned. I'm certain we'll have designed runs for Howard to utilize his power and speed. He threw very well on the run as well which is extremely encouraging. I was impressed with his accuracy, zip, and athleticism yesterday. Hope he builds on that Saturday night

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

A properly designed bootleg with Howard should be basically unstoppable

I think we'll have that as well. No need to show it against our first few opponents though unless they feel it needs work. He looked excellent moving around and throwing on the run last weekend.

I always thought fans were selling him short a little bit so hopefully he moved that needle last week. I think he has all the tools we need to get it done.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:37 AM, candyman93 said:

I was really encouraged by Will Howard. He was a little nervous early, but settled in.

Talk to me when they play someone worth a flip, which will not happen until October. Interesting month for them.

10 hours ago, bomont said:

Talk to me when they play someone worth a flip, which will not happen until October. Interesting month for them.

You don't need to play someone "worth a flip" to be encouraged. 

He showed great pocket awareness. He showed great pocket mobility. He showed great accuracy from the pocket and on the run. He showed he has great speed especially for someone weighing 235.

Some stuff will be harder with better teams, yes, but you don't need to play good teams to show those things above. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The article is absolutely beautifully written. Most embarrassing visual in my lifetime is dancing in pregame then getting bent over a barrel physically for 4 quarters.

This team is really good. Howard having a few balls seemingly slip out of his hand is a little strange. We haven't had rain in like a decade but not sure how they prep the field. Hopefully it's just a one-off. That deep ball to JJ was a big problem though. Maybe he just needs to get used to his speed a little more b/c that dude can fly.

It's two MAC schools but we did what we needed to and looked better this game than the first. DL might be the best in the nation and is certainly the deepest. Talent is literally everywhere.

We have a ton of reasons to be very optimistic this season. Clean some things up and get people a little more healthy for... a... bye week.... in the middle of September. 

Weird stuff

23 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's two MAC schools

Yes it was two Mac schools but they left no doubt and flexed their muscles on them. They also did it two different ways. Vs Akron it seemed like the passing offense was clicking and vs W. Michigan they absolutely ran all over them.