Green Bay signs Fuller to offer sheet; Bears match

AZBearsFan

9 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I browsed through over half of it, and it looks like a lot of their other threads: just a bunch of dudes nitpicking over nothing to make it sound like their perfect team has real problems.

The Packers are wasting the prime years of arguably the greatest NFL QB I have ever seen live.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

The Packers are wasting the prime years of arguably the greatest NFL QB I have ever seen live.

I’m fine with it. It’s hilarious to watch them seemingly go 15-1 every year and then lose on one play in the Divisional or NFCCG.

Nonetheless, Rodgers still bails them out of 99% of all problems, which is why I’m certain that being a Packers fan is super easy. All it involves is winning all the time and looking down their noses at every other team in the NFL. They act like they’re so disappointed and heartbroken all the time, but they don’t know the first thing about disappointment. They’re like a billionaire who loses a million dollars and expects everybody else to feel sorry for them. In reality, no one else cares.

10 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

They really do need corner help, I think it was probably viewed as a win-win in which they either a maybe-pretty-good corner or stick us with a bigger cap hit. 

I guess. Feels like Pace gambled a bit here and lost.   Kept the player, but had to pay over what he would have if he just extended him.

It was a must move, but guys that only played good in a contract year worry me.  Will they still work hard?

Fuller does look smart not playing through injuries early on, taking the criticism and making it healthy to his contract year.  

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I guess. Feels like Pace gambled a bit here and lost.   Kept the player, but had to pay over what he would have if he just extended him.

You’re making a pretty big assumption there that Fuller would have been willing to sign an extension for less than the ultimate offer sheet amount prior to getting tagged, especially if they had already discussed tagging him in one manor or the other. I haven’t seen anything out there that says that’s the case.

Knowing the UFA corner market and where he likely stood in it why would Fuller’s camp have ever agreed to an extension worth less annually than the transition tag amount? The CB market and his place in it were pretty well established and likely to fall in his favor. With that being the situation at hand it could very well have been Fuller’s camp who said “Pay my price or I won’t sign an extension before FA” with Pace agreeing to meet his price if the market agreed. It did and he did, but if this was indeed the case at that juncture in the negotiation Pace was actually the one getting the free spin to see if he could get less than he already knew he was willing to pay. The difference between the transition tag number and the ultimate AAV on the extension is only $1.1M per year. That’s a nuisance amount in the NFL salary structure for upper echelon veteran players. 

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It was a must move, but guys that only played good in a contract year worry me.  Will they still work hard?

Fuller does look smart not playing through injuries early on, taking the criticism and making it healthy to his contract year.  

The problem with your theory is, his cap is actually less now, not to mention the low gtd money in the deal.  Make no mistake they wanted him and thought they were going to get him.  It was one of the most boneheaded gm moves ive seen.

Pace let him go out and test the market, Fuller's camp found the best deal they could get, and the Bears matched it.

What's the problem here? Ozzie Newsome does something like this in Baltimore and he's hailed a genius.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

Ted Thompson is gone now, though. (Or at least not making the important decisions any more.) The NFCN will be the best division in football again, probably starting this upcoming season.

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Ooph. That's embarrassing.

This is why Emery fell on his face (window slammed shut) and why it has taken Pace longer to re-build our franchise (old, decaying talent trying to be off-set by money-hungry ******* divas).

Just now, G08 said:

This is why Emery fell on his face (window slammed shut) and why it has taken Pace longer to re-build our franchise (old, decaying talent trying to be off-set by money-hungry ******* divas).

Right. The Bears were damn near an expansion team in terms of talent, it is ridiculous how miserable our drafts have been prior to Pace.

Archived