All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

This is an old article about Don Beebe, but I thought this part was interesting

Beebe himself was a basketball junkie. Back in grade school, he practiced Pete Maravich drills in his parents' basement, something he credits to the success he had catching passes.

"We like to incorporate the ball. It's unique and very hard to do. We want them to do the footwork first and then incorporate the ball," says Beebe. "I remember my son [Chad], he looked like Pete Maravich. It really helped him develop his foot speed and ability to change direction, as well as hand-eye coordination."

https://www.si.com/edge/2014/09/12/don-beebes-house-of-speed

It never ceases to surprise me when I see parents pushing their young kids to focus on one sport, yet every time you talk to a professional athlete, or their parents, they talk about how much playing multiple sports as kids made them better at the sport the ultimately focused on. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It never ceases to surprise me when I see parents pushing their young kids to focus on one sport, yet every time you talk to a professional athlete, or their parents, they talk about how much playing multiple sports as kids made them better at the sport the ultimately focused on. 

Absolutely. You use different muscles and joints in every sport, but developing all of your body and skills really helps you adapt in the nuanced areas of a particular sport. Stephen Neal is a great example of that. Not a down of football in college, but was an pro bowler on the OL. 

IMHO, has Brock Lesnar been made a Guard and wanted to take a little time to develop, he would have been an excellent one. 

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Absolutely. You use different muscles and joints in every sport, but developing all of your body and skills really helps you adapt in the nuanced areas of a particular sport. Stephen Neal is a great example of that. Not a down of football in college, but was an pro bowler on the OL. 

IMHO, has Brock Lesnar been made a Guard and wanted to take a little time to develop, he would have been an excellent one. 

Antonio Gates is a Hall of Fame example

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ve always felt that soccer and basketball should be required sports for young athletes. I’m not a fan of either sport, but the skills you develop are transferable across the board with other sports. 

Wrestling is very applicable for line play. Teaches leverage, balance and hand skills. 

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

When I was in high school, our 103 pound wrestler was 5’7”.  Talk about lanky. 

I was 6’1” as a freshman, and I don’t think I reached150 until halfway through my senior year. My freshman football pictures, I legit look like a bobble head. 

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Parents are pulled aside by recruiters/advisors early on that tell them "your kid has potential if they focus on whatever sport, it could get them a scholarship". Parents are told their kid is great and of course they are already pre-disposed to thinking their kid is great so they believe it. Hockey and Basketball are the two worst when it comes to this where I am at. Baseball is up there. Basketball parents pay thousands to cart their kids to AAU tournaments to try to get recruited. And AAU is sloppy basketball, it's not like it is really improving their skills. Hockey players are told if they play year round they might get looks at Juniors and if they play well in Juniors they can get a scholarship. Then they end up 22 year old Freshman paying full price to play hockey at a division 3 private school. 

On 2018-03-16 at 7:19 PM, Klomp said:

So right now, our WR corps is....

Adam Thielen
Stefon Diggs
Laquon Treadwell
Stacy Coley
Cayleb Jones
Brandon Zylstra

Thoughts? Would this be a spot to add a special teams/return guy for the last spot on the active roster? Draft or FA?

^^ above post from March is interesting -- despite signing Wright and King, and adding multiple UDFAs, the Vikings will start the season with the same WR depth chart as they had finishing last year, aside from releasing Cayleb Jones in the context of his suspension and legal problems. 

Shows how hard it is to make an NFL team and move up the ladder. 

Thielen is the oldest WR on the team, and he just turned 28. The rest of the group are between 23 (Treadwell) and 25 (Diggs) this year, including Beebe and Badet on the practice squad. 

The Vikings have the entire WR group under contract for multiple years:

• 6 more years (through 2023): Diggs
  • 3 more years (through 2020): Thielen, Coley, Zylstra, Beebe (ERFA), Badet (ERFA)
  • 2-3 more years (through 2019 with a team option for 2020): Treadwell

If they stay healthy and produce / develop as hoped, we might see little movement in this position group for the next couple of years.

On 9/2/2018 at 3:26 PM, wcblack34 said:

Wrestling is very applicable for line play. Teaches leverage, balance and hand skills. 

More than just like play, teaches hand fighting for defensive backs, balance for all positions, helps with explosion into tackles and how to drive and use leverage in a tackle or block, and teaches kids not to be shy of contact. 

Archived