Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

8 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Allen processes things and pulls the trigger much quicker than Hackenberg. I think the issue with Hack is that he never got comfortable with his decisions. I don't know if that was a psychological thing or what but he just never seemed sure of his throws and his accuracy suffered as a result. 

I agree with that.  Allen is also a much better athlete.  

Mayfield is the hardest evaluation I'm having. Keep going back and forth with the guy. He seems to struggle sometimes on deep balls also but then he'll have these beautiful throws on deep crossing patterns and constantly demonstrates an ability to move through reads quickly. 

I think what ultimately puts him at #4 on my list is that he just hangs out in the pocket for entirely too long sometimes. He needs to get the ball out of his hands quicker. 

1 minute ago, Sandwhich2 said:

What's everyone main concerns with Darnold? 

• Can't handle big games/away games
  • Fumbles (holding on too long?)
  • USC QB

Those are mine, but the guy was the #1 prospect before his meh 2017 season. He has all the talent needed, just needs to get his head together.

Allen and Hackenberg are not close as prospects; the only comparison is that they're tall, athletic and strong armed with sub-par collegian completion percentages. 

Hackenberg's weakness is playing in chaos. That's one of Allen's best strengths. 

Hackenberg was "broken" when it came to sensing pocket pressure (and the preseason showed he still was); for Allen's faults, he always keeps his eyes downfield and is keenly aware of pressure... his issues were more about always trying to make the big play. 

Hackenberg was a re-acclimation project who needed to be completely rebuilt from a confidence, eye-placement, and mechanical level. Allen is a clean-slate who from what I have seen, really just needs to hone up his mechanics and more importantly learn how to read defenses (current NFL offenses have shown you can scheme this part to make it easier on a young QB adjusting to the NFL game... just look at PHI, LA, and HOU). 

My favorite QB in this class for the Jets is Rosen because he's the most projectable. I hope he has the competitive fire to play well into his late 30s and can stay healthy, but those are two relative unknowns. I think he's matured tremendously this year which will make it easy for ownership to get behind (heck, they already have being that we made this move). Still, there's a lot to like about Darnold and Allen as well. I'm fine with any of them because I think their success will have a lot more to do with coaching/development and situation than whether they have it or not. I think the way we've structured our QB room plus elevating a QB whisperer to OC is going to be huge for any QB we bring in, which makes me feel a lot more confident in it working than I was when we drafted Sanchez... we have been working on this since last Summer, so you know they are 100% dedicated to developing a QB into a success, unlike the Tannenbaum-Ryan administration, who just wanted a guy who looked good on camera and can hand the ball off. 

The key will be making sure the Jets coaches aren't stupid when it comes to the handling of reps... McCown may be your "starter", but the focus shouldn't be on him... needs to be on the rookie QB and getting him up to speed. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. But I have to see the guy we draft 1st. Then see if he’s even a franchise QB in the coming years. We can’t act like whoever we take at 3 is a shoe in to be a franchise QB.

Yeah I’d love for it to be Rosen but if not then we are trading up for what the FO believes is the franchise qb. Right or wrong we will find out. At least we are swinging the bat though and not sitting back and selecting DE, ILB or Safeties year in year out lol. 

So I didn't weigh in yet on the trade over the weekend but obviously super excited about it.  Obviously far from a sure thing when it comes to QB's but I'm tired of trying to bunt for a base hit when it comes to the QB spot.  It's been a decade of mediocrity when it comes to the most important position in sports since we went for it with Sanchez.  Obviously not a good outcome but totally worth the risk.  Same situation here, with multiple talented QB's and a team desperate for one we had to go for it and I'm proud of Mac for doing so.

A few things I read that I disagree with.

1. Don't reference the trade chart.  It doesn't apply here.  Very happy we have our future 1st and if the QB pans out I'd trade the next five 2nd rounders for a franchise guy.  They mean that much so worrying about an extra 2nd rounder is meaningless.

2. No we are not trading up for Barkley or any other position so it's a waste of time discussing it.  We are taking a QB

3. Not every QB comes into great situations with a great OL and great weapons.  Our weapons are serviceable as is the OL.  Are they top notch, of coarse not, but they are not the worst either.  Totally overblown concern I feel.  Obviously if he's getting crushed snap after snap it's not good but that won't be the case.

Finally who am I hoping falls to #3?  The guy I want is Rosen.  I worry about the injury history but he's who I think we want.  I assume Darnold/Allen goes #1 and Nelson/Barkley goes #2.  Very happy with our position.  We very well could finally have an answer to all our prayers come April and that's all that matters.  

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Pryor coming in for visit.  That would be a nice target for our young QB.  Anderson as the deep threat, Pryor as the chain mover and RDZ guy and Q working the slot.  I think we would all be good with that.

I love Pryor; he reminds me of Braylon

Archived