Suh signs with Rams 1 year 14 million

49erurtaza

18 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Not specifically. Jay Gruden's offense has been on tape. They are both heavily rooted in the West Coast scheme so there's obviously not too many surprises there. I know McVay was calling plays but to think an offensive guy like Gruden would just hand everything over is not realistic. And it's not like McVay gets his own team and then runs all of Jay's plays or old Redskins' plays. There's a ton of new wrinkles added making it his own. A lot I'm sure McVay has been waiting to unfold. Last year was the first year of McVay's offense. Clearly. Now teams have actual tape on HIS play calling in HIS offense with HIS players. There's no denying his offensive prowess. He's probably the best young offensive mind going, but one good year does not an offensive genius make. Jay had a pretty good idea of how and what Sean likes to do, being privy to him being his OC for a few years and he beat him at home. Held him to 20 in LA. And I, personally, have some questions on why he goes away from Gurley. Correct me if I'm wrong but McVay has said on a couple occasions he's got to stick with him more often. Clearly, there's room to improve and it wouldn't surprise me if Goff and co. took a step up this year. But, as I've been saying, I need to see it first. Football is week to week, year to year. McVay hasn't encased himself as an offensive guru yet. Hes got some hurdles still. And one of them is being a consistent scoring offense, year to year. He hasn't proven that yet. 

As a Gruden disciple, I'm hoping (Jon) Gruden can take a page out of McVay's book and replicate the same offensive success.

Just as a comp:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/195/PHI - May 1 PHI depth chart

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/199/PHI - Sep 1 PHI depth chart

Between May & September - no Derek Barnett on DL, no Ronald Darby & Rasul Douglas  at CB, no Corey Graham for S depth, and no Legarrette Glount/Corey Clement for RB.   And that's of course before we get to Ajayi at the trade deadline.

To try and poke holes pre-draft is just ridiculously 1-sided beyond typical homerism.   LAR has draft picks that will address ILB or EDGE Rd1, and ILB is actually a position you can find beyond Rd1 if you go EDGE.   

I have no stake in this, other than as an interested observer (with $ on prop bets lol) - but right now, it's a clear 3-horse race between PHI, LAR & MIN, with NO a hair behind.   Injuries will often tell the tale, especially when it hits and where in the roster, but these are ridiculous takes pointing weaknesses in LAR.   They are one of the 3 powerhouse complete teams (if you want to say NO is close, no problem).  

To paint LAR as having major roster issues, well, all I can say again is "how's the weather in PHI guys?". 

11 hours ago, Duluther said:

Not at all. The other 31 teams (besides perhaps the Vikings with the Cousins deal) are being passive to the point of allowing LA to acquire all of the best available players this offseason. 

No other team was willing to give up a 5th for Talib... A player who can provide a top 10-CB type year on his 1-yr deal? 

No other team was willing to give up a 2nd and 4th for Peters (+ 6th)... A young, elite, and perhaps the most dangerous CB in the league who has multiple years left on his rookie contract?

no other team was willing to sign the best player in FA (Suh), who plays a very important position for $14m a year? Knowing you’re going to get a 3rd round compensatory pick afterward?

And now, a top 3ish receiver who’s still young is a possibility to be traded... but it seems only LA is willing to wheel and deal. Shocker.

I get every single one of these players has behavioral issues, but for most they are overblown in regards to how it will affect their team (Suh and OBJ specifically).

Makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying.

58 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

It’s not a coincidence while the Rams offense ascended way up with McVay last season, the Redskins offense descended way down. There was a reason why so many people in Washington hated to lose McVay. The guy is an offensive genius. I don’t know what more I can say. 

The Redskins scoring went from 12th to 16th. It wasn't a big drop. Considering the players they lost on offense, I'd say that's not much of a drop at all. 

'Skins scoring with McVay went from 26th to 10th to 12th. He did a tremendous job with the Rams in his first year. Absolute no argument. He was named coach of the year. But before I label him a genius of sorts, I need to see him continue the display. That's not asking much. Would you label a guy anything off of one performance? If anything the outlier from past performances is 2017 so we'll see. Its not far fetched to expect a regression. 

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

The Redskins scoring went from 12th to 16th. It wasn't a big drop. Considering the players they lost on offense, I'd say that's not much of a drop at all. 

'Skins scoring with McVay went from 26th to 10th to 12th. He did a tremendous job with the Rams in his first year. Absolute no argument. He was named coach of the year. But before I label him a genius of sorts, I need to see him continue the display. That's not asking much. Would you label a guy anything off of one performance? If anything the outlier from past performances is 2017 so we'll see. Its not far fetched to expect a regression. 

They also went from 3rd in YPG to 16th in YPG and 2nd in YPP to 15th in YPP. McVay also isn't a one year wonder. He called plays in Washington in 2015 and 2016. You already showed us how much of a jump they made in scoring, and we know how much of a jump Cousins made in performance. The Rams did the exact same thing (but to an even greater extent). That's not a coincidence.

14 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Yeah, honestly, losing Desean and Garcon, and Reed playing only 6 games for the year, not to mention our OL being a revolving door due to injuries (having to pick up multiple guys off the street) throughout the year, had much much much more to do with the drop in offense from the prior year.  Gruden is just as bright of an offensive mind as McVay IMO.  Though I think McVay is a better leader of men, even as a 12 year old.

28 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

They also went from 3rd in YPG to 16th in YPG and 2nd in YPP to 15th in YPP. McVay also isn't a one year wonder. He called plays in Washington in 2015 and 2016. You already showed us how much of a jump they made in scoring, and we know how much of a jump Cousins made in performance. The Rams did the exact same thing (but to an even greater extent). That's not a coincidence.

We'll see. There's certainly not enough evidence to say he won't regress. Outside of a few of you that have him already sitting with Lombardi and Landry. It's his first head coaching gig, what's the rush in anointing him a genius. He's got much to prove still. 

4 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

We'll see. There's certainly not enough evidence to say he won't regress. Outside of a few of you that have him already sitting with Lombardi and Landry. It's his first head coaching gig, what's the rush in anointing him a genius. He's got much to prove still. 

He's a genius. We're simply calling a spade a spade.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Yeah, they play in that soccer stadium. You know, the LA Galaxy.

Oh, the hockey team.

Just now, jrry32 said:

He's a genius. We're simply calling a spade a spade.

Oh, the hockey team.

No no, the other one.
No, not that one, the other OTHER one.
No, not the Staples Center teams either ...
... wait ... how did we end up at Chavez Ravine (and why didn't you bring back any Dodger dogs?)?

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

I don’t think it’s far fetched for the Rams to regress some on offense. What they did was historic going from worst to first in points scored. We will however get better in areas we did struggle in which is redzone efficiency and getting more production from the tight end position which really is the staple of McVay offensive scheme. Overall the Rams offense will still be very good. It still will be one of the best offenses in the NFL. 

Archived