2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

27 minutes ago, roi34 said:

need more picksssss! if Vea and Micah are two best options at 10 .. trade down. We could still get a Payne or draft OT in first. Harold also may still be around.

Everyone wants to trade down every year. But there has to be a player a team covets and the price has to be right. We'd need to hope QB4 is still available and someone wants to leap Miami to get him. Long shot.

DE Chad Thomas from Miami is visiting. Not surprising since he fits the tall DE mold the Bengals have been using for years. His combine testing was poor though. I guess he could be an option on day 3.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Everyone wants to trade down every year. But there has to be a player a team covets and the price has to be right. We'd need to hope QB4 is still available and someone wants to leap Miami to get him. Long shot.

Maybe but we still want it. Or someone could want a top ten player that has fallen to us.

On 01/04/2018 at 10:00 AM, SilverNBlackFan said:

Was watching Path to the Draft the other day and Daniel Jeremiah mentioned Taven Bryan as a potential surprise pick for us at #10.

While it wouldn't be my ideal pick, I honestly wouldn't mind taking him over Vea. He fits more what we need.

Really like Taven Bryan as a prospect but my concern would be adding another developmental DT - I think he'll be a fine player but top 10 maybe too rich for a guy that could need 18 months to add polish to his game and really make an impact. Trouble is he may be too talented with too much upside to make it to our second round pick........... I like him but If it was me in that draft room I'd probably be cautious and go with Vea, Hurst or Payne as more polished players. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Because it's possible a top defender is available there. 

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So the Raiders who need a top defender would pass? 

Sometimes more isn't always better (see Cleveland Browns).

But it is sometimes. This isn't an absolute type thing. It's not like we will be pissed with Vea Ward or one of the LBS or even don't want one of them. We just like the value and options in the high rds. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Sure but I think this is a good year to do it. We are basically at the top of "best of the rest" level players imo. So we should move down in my eyes.

I'm honestly not that bothered about moving down. There are quite a few players in mid to late first I like and of course if you got an extra 2nd and you hit on all your top picks it would do wonders for us. But I really have my heart set on getting a genuine difference maker and at 10 we would have an excellent chance of landing one in Fitz, James, Ward, Vea, Smith or Edmunds. Moving down far enough to get sufficient compensation would take us out landing these guys imo and I'm not sure I'd honestly want to risk it. I think there's just as much risk in trading away from the players at 10 and having the hedge bets not ultimately pay off. This isn't to say that I don't think there's merit in a trade down - I'm just not one to hold the position that trade down is necessarily option A for us.

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Sure but I think this is a good year to do it. We are basically at the top of "best of the rest" level players imo. So we should move down in my eyes.

It'd depend on who is on the board for me. The run on QBs are going to push a top 5 talent to 10. In whch case, I like the impact of a Ward/Fitzpatrick falling their. 

Trading down I personally like the idea as this class has the most talent rounds 1-3 and will drop off day 3. More picks days 1 and 2 the better.

33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It'd depend on who is on the board for me. The run on QBs are going to push a top 5 talent to 10. In whch case, I like the impact of a Ward/Fitzpatrick falling their. 

Trading down I personally like the idea as this class has the most talent rounds 1-3 and will drop off day 3. More picks days 1 and 2 the better.

Agreed. I just don't like most options that I think will be available at 10 for the value there. 

Also what's with the Davenport top 10 projections lately?

21 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Agreed. I just don't like most options that I think will be available at 10 for the value there. 

Also what's with the Davenport top 10 projections lately?

I like Ward/James/Fitz - I couldn't pass on James at 10. He's too talented and he's everything you want in the locker room and on the field. 

I've seen these Davenport projections too lately. It must be that time of year. Outlets started projecting Davenport to the Raiders at 10 early on and I guess it's come full circle. I 100% would not like that move. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I've seen these Davenport projections too lately. It must be that time of year. Outlets started projecting Davenport to the Raiders at 10 early on and I guess it's come full circle. I 100% would not like that move. 

You told me Davenport was a beast. Are you not high on him anymore?

Archived