2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

56 minutes ago, Mr Bob Dobalina said:

Surprised Marcus Davenport isn't mentioned more on here as our top pick.Yes I know he played  at a small school.but he held his own against good competition and looked good at the Senior bowl.Hes got the perfect size and measurables.Kept improving in  college.If we had another edge rusher to pair with Mack that would be deadly. 

I think people like him but not for the 10th pick range. That's me anyways.

Random thoughts on potential picks:

I really wouldn't mind Roquan Smith, I just don't know if he is going to have the impact everyone thinks he will. I think he's going to be a liability in the run game. 

Vita Vea playing in roughly 65% of plays on defense is pretty bad. Do you really want your top 10 pick to be a 2 down player?

I would love to draft Derwin James, I just think he's a rich man's Obi Melifonwu.

Do we really need Denzel Ward in the first? I think G. Conley and R. Melvin are pretty good starters if they can stay healthy. Shouldn't we be searching for a slot in the middle of the draft if anything?

Is 10 too early for D. Guice? Really?

Between R. Penny, Ronald Jones, and S. Michel, who would you pick in the 2nd?

Am I the only person that doesn't want an OT in the first 3 rounds? I think we have a really good OL without drafting another lineman early.

41 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Do we really need Denzel Ward in the first? I think G. Conley and R. Melvin are pretty good starters if they can stay healthy. Shouldn't we be searching for a slot in the middle of the draft if anything?

One million times yes. Melvin is signed for only one year and has shown to be extremely injury prone. Conley was an awesome prospect, but we have no idea how he is going to play for us. Ward is one of the best players in the entire draft at a very vital position. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

One million times yes. Melvin is signed for only one year and has shown to be extremely injury prone. Conley was an awesome prospect, but we have no idea how he is going to play for us. Ward is one of the best players in the entire draft at a very vital position. 

Good point regarding him being signed for only one year.

18 hours ago, Jerry said:

I really wouldn't mind Roquan Smith, I just don't know if he is going to have the impact everyone thinks he will. I think he's going to be a liability in the run game. 

While LB is still a need, i agree that he's more of an athletic finesse LBer in the mold of Alec Ogletree. I wouldnt hate the pick but depending on who's available, i could end up not liking it much.

Vita Vea playing in roughly 65% of plays on defense is pretty bad. Do you really want your top 10 pick to be a 2 down player?

Vea has the traits to be a 3- down player and he fills our most glaring weakness, an impact player on the D-line to take pressure and attention off of Mack constantly.

I would love to draft Derwin James, I just think he's a rich man's Obi Melifonwu.

We've spent a 1st on KoJo and a 2nd on Obi. Plus Nelson is back and fits like a glove in Guenther's scheme. I dont see us needing a safety until at least the middle rounds.

Only other guy i might want at 10. Im not as high on himI as everybody else is but we've barely seen Conley play and Melvin is an i jury-prone guy who had a breakout year last year playing on a 1 year deal. He would be a quality player who fills a need.

IMO, yes. He is talented but if we got him(wouldnt mind at all) id want it in a trade down scenario. He's not a top 10 talent imo and RB is that high of a need imo.

Michel all day long. I'd be ecstatic if we grabbed him in the 2nd but i think he'll go late 1st. Jones i wouldnt mind cuz he'd add an explosive element not currently in our RB stable. Dont like Penny. System runner, lots of miles already, lacking as a receiver, average at best pass blocker.

Am I the only person that doesn't want an OT in the first 3 rounds? I think we have a really good OL without drafting another lineman early.

Im with you here. Nearly every OT selected on days 1 and 2 will be a reach this year, mark my words. The demand for good OTs vastly outweighs the supply of OTs in this draft. McGlinchey is a mid to late 1st rounder who'll go around 10 just cause he plays a premium position. Im all for an OT in the 4th if a day 2 prospect slips to day 4 but like you im good with our O-line right now if it means we dobt reach for one.

23 hours ago, Jerry said:

There are elite NFL players who play roughly 65% of the defensive snaps. Vea is a ready made elite run defender in the NFL from day one; that deserves top 10 consideration.

Grading both as safeties, I see little difference between James and Melifonwu as prospects. I happen to grade James as an OLB in the NFL, though.

Every NFL needs three starting caliber corners. The more corners the better.

I originally advocated for taking Guice at 10, but I've since backed off that stance after reviewing some other prospects in this class. Further, I don't think runningback should be a day 1 or 2 priority given how free agency has gone.

I currently have it ranked 1) Michel 2) Guice 3) Penny. I haven't graded Jones yet. Michel has the best mix of vision, explosiveness, and balance. Plus he's the best pass blocking of the three by far.

The Raiders' oline is weakest at the most important position: tackle. Weakness in both starting talent on the right side and depth overall can really debilitate the offense.

Following others lead, here are my notes/thoughts on potential candidates at 10 as we're closer to the draft:

Barkley/Chubb

The dream scenario is one of them falling to 10 but seems incredibly unlikely at the moment.

Denzel Ward

Probably my favorite option right now.  He has everything you want in a CB but the weight.  Plus he has the ability to play nickel year 1 and move outside the year after.  I dont like investing so many high picks in the secondary but its still a big problem area and its hard to over-invest in CB.  Im curious if he meets our size thresholds at CB or maybe Gruden/Guenther will change our drafting habits.

Minkah

On just talent I have 1 spot below Ward and I love him as a player but I have a hard time seeing how he fits.  I think his best spot is in a Tyrann Matthieu type role or as a S but I don't think Guenther runs many 3 safety looks and I don't wanna give up on Obi.  I hate spending 3 high value picks on Ss three years straight plus Im not sure a nickel CB is worth pick #10. Nonetheless our DB coach is from Alabama so I would feel comfortable about his schematic fit if we draft him.

The LBs - Roquan + Edmunds

I'd be fine with either of them.  I have Roquan a little above Edmunds but its more of a 1a & 1b ranking.  Roquan is the safer pick as I think he has a good chance of becoming Lavante David at WLB and I think he can play MLB if we protect him a la Ryan Shazier and Deion Jones.  Something is missing when I watch Edmunds but I can recognize his significant upside.

The Edges - Davenport + Landry

I'd be fine with either one of these guys too.  I have Landry ahead of Davenport but Davenport seems like the better scheme fit when you look at the DEs that start in Guenther & Zimmer's 43.  Davenport's a little raw but it's hard to ignore someone with his combination of elite athleticism and dominant tape.  Yes he dominated by mostly bull rushing college OTs but when he was just as dominant vs Texas A&M and Baylor as he was vs the other crappy schools on his schedule.  

Jaire Alexander

I have Jaire as a top 10 player in this draft so I would probably have him #3 behind Ward + Minkah but I recognize that most people don't think so highly of him. Personally, I see a Marcus Peters type of CB who can play both nickel and outside.

Derwin

Similar to Minkah, I love the player but dont want to spend another high value pick on S.  Still wouldn't even be upset if he was the pick.

Vita Vea

This is the first one where I would be a little upset if we picked him.  He's super fun to watch but I don't want to draft a NT at #10, especially when we just resigned Jelly for that exact role.

Conclusion

So many options but I REALLY REALLY wish we lost one or two more games at this point and put ourselves in position for Chubb or Barkley.  Still, I'd be pretty happy with any of the above mentioned players excluding Vea.

Who are some of everyone's favorites at every position? top guys and bottom guys, just overall guys you think will be successful in relationship to their value/expectations.

QB: Sam Darnold // Baker Mayfield

RB: Saqoun Barkley // Sony Michel // Mark Walton // John Kelly // Bo Scarbrough

WR: Anthony Miller // Equanimeous St. Brown // Christian Kirk // DaeSean Hamilton

TE: Mike Gesicki // Dalton Schultz // Chris Herndon IV

OL: Connor Williams // Will Hernandez // Isaiah Wynn

DT: Vita Vea // Taven Bryan // RJ McIntosh // Nathan Shepherd // Poona Ford

DE: Rasheem Greene // DaShawn Hand // Chad Thomas // Lorenzo Carter

LB: Rashaan Evans // Skai Moore // Matthew Thomas // Ja'Von Rolland-Jones

CB: Isaiah Oliver // Holton Hill // Mike Hughes // Isaac Yiadom // Tarvarus McFadden

S: Derwin James // DeShon Elliot // Minkah Fitzpatrick // Justin Reid // Siran Neal

On 4/8/2018 at 8:29 PM, Jerry said:

https://www.ndtscouting.com/georgia-linebacker-roquan-smith-poised-star-nfl - Most people overthink it with Smith. Ledyard is spot on in his assessment.

Smith doesn't miss tackles. His movement skills and instincts are next level. He's a top 10 talent teams will overthink because of size and regret not taking him.

I've been all in on Smith since day 1. If there is one player I'm sure of, it's him. His coverage skills, sure tackling, play recognition, etc. would be a huge boost to the Raiders. 

James is one of the most talented DBs to come out in awhile. A true alpha-dog who can lock down in coverage with special ability. Obi isn't in his stratosphere.

Melvin is only signed for a year. And has only shown promise for 1 year. Ward is a top flight CB who should be gone before 10. If he falls, then you take him and have options. The Raiders CBs have SUCKED for a decade. Imagine having 2 stud OSU guys locking it down for then next 5 years

Yes and no. Guice is a top 10 talent. But there is so much talent at RB, you can afford to wait. If he was drafted at 10 I wouldn't hate it.

Michel by a mile

Yes, because I think the talent is lackluster. That said, the Raiders Oline is poor at tackle. Penn is done, won't be ready until TC most likely. Who is the RT? A TC battle of scrubs.

With Minkah and Derwin those guys can come in and play slot CB from the get go. Both are able to play that small LB role and cover the TEs. With the way the NFL game is where these TEs are just monsters now and run 4.5 and 4.6 LBs can’t cover them anymore. That’s why you see a lot more teams play with three safeties. 

Obi wouldn’t stop be from drafting Minkah or Derwin because even if Obi becomes the player Oakland drafted him to be. There is a role for all of them on the field. 

There is still a need for a player like Denzel Ward. He can play the slot his first year and take over next year. Can they just wait till the second or third round for a CB who can do that. Yeah sure, but if you believe in Ward that much there’s no reason to not take him at 10 if he’s there. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

https://www.ndtscouting.com/georgia-linebacker-roquan-smith-poised-star-nfl - Most people overthink it with Smith. Ledyard is spot on in his assessment.

Smith doesn't miss tackles. His movement skills and instincts are next level. He's a top 10 talent teams will overthink because of size and regret not taking him.

I've been all in on Smith since day 1. If there is one player I'm sure of, it's him. His coverage skills, sure tackling, play recognition, etc. would be a huge boost to the Raiders. 

would you put him at MLB?

Tahir-Smith-James\Morrow  would be the line?

Archived