2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Well the new one is also younger, less prone to antics and penalties, and is millions of dollars cheaper

True, but there were a few guys left on the board that I like.  Outside of Hurst and Key I’m just underwhelmed by our draft so a Punter isn’t adding much excitement.  

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I do but do not like taking the third punter in a draft in the 5th where only 2 should have been drafted.  Once again it is not a good value.

Ok...Townsend more than deserved to be drafted. He was a top tier punter in the country the last 3 years and had 11 private workouts with teams up to the draft. He's not a slouch and i dont think its a massive reach. 47.5 avg+ the last 2 years, 3 time All-SEC, and an All-American last year.

This is nothing more than fandom being butthurt cuz they didnt get the sexy pick of Dickson or Scott. Townsend is a DAMN good punter and has been for years. If you're hating on him being worthy of a 5th, youre uninformed

Just now, drfrey13 said:

There are still a couple players with good potential.  JC Jackson, Brown, and Ejiofor would all be better choices in my opinion.

And I don't disagree. I liked other players here too - Scales or Cichy, but the very, very end of the 5th, after loads of compensatory picks is not likely to give you any can't miss players that you couldn't find similar ranked players later on or in UDFA. We needed a punter...and we got one.

3 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Ok...Townsend more than deserved to be drafted. He was a top tier punter in the country the last 3 years and had 11 private workouts with teams up to the draft. He's not a slouch and i dont think its a massive reach. 47.5 avg+ the last 2 years, 3 time All-SEC, and an All-American last year.

This is nothing more than fandom being butthurt cuz they didnt get the sexy pick of Dickson or Scott. Townsend is a DAMN good punter and has been for years. If you're hating on him being worthy of a 5th, youre uninformed

With what was still on the board I would have waited to see if he was there later.

2 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

This

2 minutes ago, reddevil said:

And I don't disagree. I liked other players here too - Scales or Cichy, but the very, very end of the 5th, after loads of compensatory picks is not likely to give you any can't miss players that you couldn't find similar ranked players later on or in UDFA. We needed a punter...and we got one.

This has been a need based draft at just about every pick.  Starting to bother me a little bit.

Would like to draft (or UDFA)
Equanimeous St. Brown, WR Notre Dame (future Jordy replacement)
DeShon Elliott, S Texas (solid FS depth)
P̶a̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶N̶i̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶ ̶T̶u̶l̶a̶n̶e̶(drafted) | Holton Hill, CB Texas | JC Jackson, CB Maryland (CB that could compete for one of the CB spots)
Will Clapp, C (Would be good Hudson depth)

Priority FAs
Martez Carter, RB Grambling State (I like this scat back a lot, super elusive with fast cuts)
Hercules Mustafa, [the 250 pound DT] Washington State
Skai Moore, LB South Carolina (I think he has too many injury/size questions to get picked, could contribute though)
Damon Webb, S Ohio State (I think he could be like Carrie matching up in the slot and reserve FS)
Al Rasheed Benton, MLB West Virginia (If he improves his tackling technique could develop into a starter, if not won't stick in the league)
Desmond Harrison, OT West Georgia (If we didn't double draft OT, I'd have him as a draft target for potential. I think he's a good practice squad option like Jylan Ware)
Jack Chichy, MLB Wisconsin (Injuries made him not play last year, but talented enough to try it at the NFL level)

I'm sure I'm missing some I've liked but this is the best I've got off the top of my head. I hope there wasn't an obivious Player X hasn't been picked yet that I should have listed.

10 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

This has been a need based draft at just about every pick.  Starting to bother me a little bit.

in some spots I agree. key was need/value and hurst was same. Hurst may wind up as the biggest steal of the draft. 

No LB makes me sad. I'd of preferred a LB or CB in round 3 and took another OT later in draft. Was a deep defensive draft in some spots and felt we didn't use it to our advantage

Archived