2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

Just now, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Got a punter

Why?  I get that we need one but is it worth a 5th when there is still some decent talent on the board.  A run on punters and we are the last one to gram one.  Never the spot you want to be in.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Why?  I get that we need one but is it worth a 5th when there is still some decent talent on the board.  A run on punters and we are the last one to gram one.  Never the spot you want to be in.

No, we should have waited til the 6th, but we didn’t want to lose our over draft status we have built over the last few days.

10 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Townsend is a very good punter.  Nice pick

Johnny Townsend, P, Florida

• By CBS Sports Staff
  • Apr 16, 2018 • 1 min read

Draft Prospect Outlook:

Will boom long punts often but more of a line-drive kicker than someone who'll get major hang time.

College Recap:

Townsend spent five years at Florida, and entered the 2017 season as one of the nation's top punters after averaging a nation-leading 47.9 yards per attempt in 2016. He earned second-team All-SEC honors by the Associated Press and the league's coaches and was widely viewed as an instrumental part of the Gators' success reaching the SEC Championship Game for a second consecutive year.

Townsend followed up that terrific 2016 season with an equally strong 2017 campaign. He averaged 47.5 yards per punt, including a career-long 70-yard boot against Georgia. He racked up 27 punts of at least 50 yards, including six of 60 yards or more. Townsend's accuracy was also quite impressive; he pinned opponents inside their 20-yard line on 27 of 64 punts. - Thomas Goldkamp, GatorBait.net

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Whatever though. How many punters can there be that are starter quality in one draft? We got blocked on Scott by GB, and cutting King left us with a hole there. When you have a gaping desperate hole at P, at least your vulnerable position is the most useless one in P.

I just wouldn't call it a source of great worry. 

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

At this stage in the draft I would expect there are so many players you have similar grades on, you feel you can still get players in round 6, so why not pick up a player to fill what is a definite need. We don't really have any areas that a 5th rounder in a different position will be a starter in.

Just now, riceman80 said:

Youd think that people would respect the value of investing in a decent punter after 20 years of having Lechler and King and being the franchise known for Ray Guy...

We had one, Gruden cut him or we wouldn’t have to waste resources on a new one.  

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

All I posted was that the Raiders drafted a punter. Whether I like the pick or not is irrelevant.

Just now, riceman80 said:

Youd think that people would respect the value of investing in a decent punter after 20 years of having Lechler and King and being the franchise known for Ray Guy...

I do but do not like taking the third punter in a draft in the 5th where only 2 should have been drafted.  Once again it is not a good value.

4 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Johnny Townsend, P, Florida

• By CBS Sports Staff
  • Apr 16, 2018 • 1 min read

Draft Prospect Outlook:

Will boom long punts often but more of a line-drive kicker than someone who'll get major hang time.

College Recap:

Townsend spent five years at Florida, and entered the 2017 season as one of the nation's top punters after averaging a nation-leading 47.9 yards per attempt in 2016. He earned second-team All-SEC honors by the Associated Press and the league's coaches and was widely viewed as an instrumental part of the Gators' success reaching the SEC Championship Game for a second consecutive year.

Townsend followed up that terrific 2016 season with an equally strong 2017 campaign. He averaged 47.5 yards per punt, including a career-long 70-yard boot against Georgia. He racked up 27 punts of at least 50 yards, including six of 60 yards or more. Townsend's accuracy was also quite impressive; he pinned opponents inside their 20-yard line on 27 of 64 punts. - Thomas Goldkamp, GatorBait.net

Another draft prospect outlook they forgot:

He won’t dance around like a clown after doing his job

Archived