2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

Though the Raiders came out slightly behind in that trade according to the Jimmy Johnson chart, our draft calculator thinks they got the better end of the deal. The Cardinals gave up picks worth an expected 9.5 AV to move up to the 10th overall pick, worth 6 expected AV.

Per analytics guru Seth Walker.. The first trade was only a 7th rd pick from being completely equal on the original draft pick value chart. Everyone needs to take their goggles off regarding the trade, it was a good trade.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I like aggression in football but our best draft is one were we did not panic and waited for the players to fall to us.  Since then we have reached a lot from a spectators point of view.

But not from our FOs point of view. And I do agree that we did perhaps reach, but we probably don't need any more picks in all honesty. We've already got too many players! And I expect Reg to get us at least 1 or 2 gems in UDFA.

On th record, I would gave done it completely differently, but I what I do like is that we have aggressively gone after players to specifically change areas of identified weakness.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

Why would I ignore 2017?

Because after 2017 you feel they are better than what was available at the time.  Based just on draft position you would expect what was there at the time to be better than a 6th and UDFA OLB.

1 minute ago, raiders4life said:

Per analytics guru Seth Walker.. The first trade was only a 7th rd pick from being completely equal on the original draft pick value chart. Everyone needs to take their goggles off regarding the trade, it was a good trade.

It wasn't some sort of awful trade, especially considering we were apparently taking Miller either way. But looking at the value other teams got for 1st round trade backs, we got alot less without any reasoning to it. That's what most fans were up in arms about I think.

2 minutes ago, raiders4life said:

It's probably the fact the Cardinals were moving up for Josh Rosen who is a franchise QB. Usually trade ups for franchise QBs, the team not getting the QB wins (not close/slight loss) according to the trade value chart.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Because after 2017 you feel they are better than what was available at the time.  Based just on draft position you would expect what was there at the time to be better than a 6th and UDFA OLB.

But I'd also be fine with either starting there in 2018. The team has other needs and there are better players on the board.

1 minute ago, holyghost said:

It wasn't some sort of awful trade, especially considering we were apparently taking Miller either way. But looking at the value other teams got for 1st round trade backs, we got alot less without any reasoning to it. That's what most fans were up in arms about I think.

If they had taken any other player then the not sexy OT, then they probably don’t whine about the trade value.

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

It's probably the fact the Cardinals were moving up for Josh Rosen who is a franchise QB. Usually trade ups for franchise QBs, the team not getting the QB wins (not close/slight loss) according to the trade value chart.

I’ll admit I haven’t looked up the value #s of the other trades. Random thought, would as many people here be complaining if Reggie hadn’t traded back in the Hayden trade?

Archived