2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Heart conditions are very unpredictable.  One doctor will get positive result then 15 minutes later a negative unless it is structural.  Wish I knew the actual diagnosis.  The article NightTrain gave states Star and Nick Fairley.  2 different situations so it is a very clouded situation but I hope we got a great player and more importantly that the kid is healthy.  I am excited to get a player that good in the 5th but I am concerned because from the article it seems like he is only hearing what he wants to hear to protect his dream.

He heard cleared, by multiple doctors!

8 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I’m greedy but the only two draft moves I didn’t like

getting more value for the 1st round trade down 

why trading up for Brandon Parker... likely would have been there in the 3rd. Those two extra picks would have been nice 

See BidD’s post. We got 3 players with 1st round grades. It’s a great draft. Get over the trade values.

1 minute ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

See BidD’s post. It’s a great draft.

I get what you are both saying. But it could have been epic. 2nd instead of a 3rd for the trade down. Stay put and wait for Parker, have 2 more picks. Wait for Hall in the 3rd or 4th. Early draft value on our end was erratic. 

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Him playing four year does matter because the team checked him out and let him play four year anyway after extensive work ups for multiple doctors. You can fearmonger if you want but we got a great player that has proven that even with this condition, whatever it may be, he can still play with out issue and produce at a high level. College cleared him and the NFL cleared him. I'm fine with the only official org not clearing him being "Dr. Frey"

And how many other teams did not clear him.  Him falling to 5th shows that at least some did not.  He was also not cleared at the combine and in school.  He could have an extremely dangerous condition and never have an issue.  It is all statistics and what degree of risk you are willing to take.  I have no clue what he has but if names like Hank Gathers and Nick Fairley are comparable then it is serious.  Since you seem to think doctors can rule out all risk just remember that Gathers went through extensive testing after his episode and then cleared before he collapsed and died on the court.  Even with a condition like Gathers the chance of sudden cardiac arrest is very small but huge compared to an average person.

Just now, holyghost said:

I get what you are both saying. But it could have been epic. 2nd instead of a 3rd for the trade down. Stay put and wait for Parker, have 2 more picks. Wait for Hall in the 3rd or 4th. Early draft value on our end was erratic. 

Yeah....hindsight. But, I admire our aggression. Want player - get player. 

Just now, reddevil said:

I like aggression in football but our best draft is one were we did not panic and waited for the players to fall to us.  Since then we have reached a lot from a spectators point of view.

3 minutes ago, reddevil said:

True, QUITE true. It seems very clearly we knew exactly who we wanted. At least that carries a measure of conviction not seen in many past drafts. 

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I like aggression in football but our best draft is one were we did not panic and waited for the players to fall to us.  Since then we have reached a lot from a spectators point of view.

If by spectators you mean armchair GM’s, coaches and scouts, then ok.

Archived