Raiders Release P Marquette King

HTTRDynasty

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I guess you need to make a run at him. The best Punter plays for the LA Rams. :P

Why doesnt every thread about punters end up with rams running around talking about how good there punter is, most insecure fan base 

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

First-Team All Pro Punter - 2013, 2015-2017

Second-Team All Pro Punter - 2014

There's no doubt.

Hekker is in a completely different league from anyone else. I have no doubt Hekker will be the best punter ever when he is finished. Not only for his sustained success, but for completely revolutionizing the punting game with his arsenal of different styles. 

37 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

He will be signed within a few days. He is one of the best at his position. 

Jeff Fisher would prioritize King in FA - because, you know, punting is the most important weapon you can have on a team.  :D

29 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

First-Team All Pro Punter - 2013, 2015-2017

Second-Team All Pro Punter - 2014

There's no doubt.

I would take All Pros for punters with a pretty big grain of salt.

I highly doubt that most... if any of the voters really know how to judge punters besides on what names they know and basic stats which need a good deal of context to accurately assess that you can't get if you don't watch all the punts from all the punters in said given year.

I don't do that though, so I'm not blaming them for not doing it either. I'm just saying.

However, a site called Purple PTSD actually does provide context to punters season long performances.

Punters simply cannot be evaluated by simple distance alone. We’ve known this for a while, but national media still cites net yards or touchbacks (as a positive?!) constantly. For the third year in a row, I’ve taken the punting data from 2017 and parsed it in a more useful way. Here’s last year’s, with 2015’s results embedded into it. For more on the methodology and why things are the way they are, check that out. But very briefly:

Short field punts (from your own 40 and closer) are measured as a percentage of the field they cover. So a punt from the 50 that’s fielded at the 10 is an 80% punt, as it covered 80% of the available field. Long field punts (everything behind your own 40) are simply measured as average distance, since those are the times you’re trying to boot it as far as possible. Touchbacks are a -20 yard penalty for obvious reasons, and blocked punts are removed.

Punters are ranked by a combination of these measures, weighted toward long-field punts since they’re more common.

https://purpleptsd.com/how-good-is-your-teams-punter-all-33-nfl-punters-ranked/

Believe it or not Hekker comes in at 6th (Titans punter came in at 18th though).

Johnny Hekker fails to live up to his all-pro reputation, but is still a top ten name. He mostly suffers from some inopportune touchbacks and a couple of short field shanks, though, his power only ranks 4th.

This is what they say about his performance this year.

Hekker ranked 3rd last year by their methodology.

If you average their rankings the last 2 years the best 5 punters recently have been Lechler, King, Hekker, Morstead and Lee.

Edit:

Since we are on the topic of Hekker... I figure its a good excuse to post this Dude Perfect video he was in.

Archived