Eric Reid

HangOnSloopy

3 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I don't think I have paid much attention to him as a pro. What kind of player is he?

Started out really well as a rookie.  49ers D has been a mess of late though and he had some injuries, but the talent is there.  Can play LB as well in a pinch.

I think he would be a good piece to add to our defense which seems to get multiple DBs hurt/suspended often.  FS, SS, and Nickel LB he can play...

13 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Hobson says we won’t sign him till after the draft and when it won’t affect our comp picks next year 

What comp picks?  We lose anyone other than Chris Smith and Bodine?  Mike Brown really worried about losing some 7th round comp picks?  smh...

5 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Those picks have some value. If no one else is talking to him, might as well wait.

Yeah if he’s gonna be there anyway why not wait. I really want Bates but if he isn’t there in the third or they don’t move up to get him It’s good to have a backup plan.

This seems like the kind of under the radar signing that turns into a 8 year player with a few pro bowls.

Looks like they're trying to capture some of his rookie magic when he had 6 turnovers.  

Reid played very well last year, just so you guys no. Was his best season in a while, but he's a pretty solid safety. Those PFF numbers that were posted are somewhat misleading depending how he's deployed. He's actually very good as a safety coming downhill against the run, but he's not going to be good at it from the linebacker position, which is why you see the regression in his run grade. That being said, he's functional against the pass from the safety position (doesn't have great deep range), however lining him up in the box and locking him into a tight end and he was excellent against the pass because he was dealing with less open space and could come down hill and attack, even in coverage. 

So to sum up - if you deploy him at LB, locked on tight ends and the like, expect similar to what he did last year - a little stronger against the pass than typical, a little weaker against the run. If you deploy him as a safety, box or deep, I would expect a slightly better performance against the run, slightly worse against the pass. 

He's still a very solid safety and could easily start for most teams. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reid played very well last year, just so you guys no. Was his best season in a while, but he's a pretty solid safety. Those PFF numbers that were posted are somewhat misleading depending how he's deployed. He's actually very good as a safety coming downhill against the run, but he's not going to be good at it from the linebacker position, which is why you see the regression in his run grade. That being said, he's functional against the pass from the safety position (doesn't have great deep range), however lining him up in the box and locking him into a tight end and he was excellent against the pass because he was dealing with less open space and could come down hill and attack, even in coverage. 

So to sum up - if you deploy him at LB, locked on tight ends and the like, expect similar to what he did last year - a little stronger against the pass than typical, a little weaker against the run. If you deploy him as a safety, box or deep, I would expect a slightly better performance against the run, slightly worse against the pass. 

He's still a very solid safety and could easily start for most teams. 

Thanks for the info.  I'd rather sign him now, along with Jones, then attack the draft on both lines

Archived