The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what do we think the Vikings' reaction/response will be?

definitely reckless and irresponsible behavior, how deeply will they care to do something? to what level?

I think the Vikings should support whatever penalty law enforcement and the court decides.  I would also insist that he take a safe driving course.  Finally, he needs to be told that another infraction will endanger his future on the team.  Udoh is great depth on the OL but he's not indespinsable. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I think the Vikings should support whatever penalty law enforcement and the court decides.  I would also insist that he take a safe driving course.  Finally, he needs to be told that another infraction will endanger his future on the team.  Udoh is great depth on the OL but he's not indespinsable. 

Seems there is major immaturity issues, outside of driving. Perhaps he should get some counseling for that, in addition to taking safe driving courses. Frankly, you’d think his license would be suspended if there are enough cases of reckless speeding. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 10:40 AM, vikingsrule said:

Seems there is major immaturity issues, outside of driving. Perhaps he should get some counseling for that, in addition to taking safe driving courses. Frankly, you’d think his license would be suspended if there are enough cases of reckless speeding. 

Make him pay out of pocket for a full time chauffeur and require he pay said driver in advance through the end of his contract, refundable if the contract is cancelled before the expiry date. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Trey Lance isn't a 1st rounder in any redraft. He hasn't earned it.

True. Still, it's unfortunate it has played out the way it has. I mean, San Francisco did think enough of him to make him their opening day started last year with Jimmy G still on the team. I think there's potential. But he needs to go somewhere else. The situation in San Fran has soured too much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

True. Still, it's unfortunate it has played out the way it has. I mean, San Francisco did think enough of him to make him their opening day started last year with Jimmy G still on the team. I think there's potential. But he needs to go somewhere else. The situation in San Fran has soured too much. 

I am not sure why SF doesn't keep him while he is on a rookie contract with their history of QB injuries the last few seasons.  They aren't likely to get much return in a trade (I could be wrong.)  As long as there isn't division in the locker room...but what do I care...I don't pull for the 49ers, nor would I be particularly interested in Lance with the Vikings.

Minnesota Vikings left tackle Christian Darrisaw is poised to become one of the highest-paid non-quarterbacks in the NFL by next season. Selected 23rd in the 2021 draft, Darrisaw lived up to the companions to future Hall of Famer Trent Williams last season by finishing as the second-highest graded tackle by Pro Football Focus. Darrisaw’s future extension will not likely be complicated and likely to happen in his first year of eligibility next offseason. 

Purple Insider’s Matthew Coller predicted Darrisaw to see a five-year, $125 million extension:

“He’s definitely good enough to get it next year. If this year goes like last year, then Christian Darrisaw is one of the best — not just left tackles — but best and most valuable players in the NFL. When you get a left tackle of this caliber, you give him all the dollars. There’s a really big impact to put one guy on an island, and for their future that’s what they’re going to hope to do.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/christian-darrisaw-contract-extension-nfl-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR2R0LymWMxVK3ns-Hc80p9eVaAqCedhBCVhrA5Jhy692cRq2B8ium3kU6I

• Like 1

Darrisaw’s presence, along with right tackle Brian O’Neill, has Minnesota on the verge of a top-10 offensive line after years of futility in the trenches. O’Neill signed a five-year, $92.5 million extension two years ago that keeps him in Minnesota through the 2026 season. Pairing him with Darrisaw will be tantamount to the offense’s success long-term.

Center Garrett Bradbury re-signed to a three-year, $15.8 million deal after a bounce-back season — but the guard spots remain a serious concern. Ed Ingram allowed the most pressures in the NFL (63) last season but played every snap as a rookie, while Ezra Cleveland allowed the third-most pressures (55).

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/christian-darrisaw-contract-extension-nfl-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR2R0LymWMxVK3ns-Hc80p9eVaAqCedhBCVhrA5Jhy692cRq2B8ium3kU6I

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Darrisaw’s presence, along with right tackle Brian O’Neill, has Minnesota on the verge of a top-10 offensive line after years of futility in the trenches. O’Neill signed a five-year, $92.5 million extension two years ago that keeps him in Minnesota through the 2026 season. Pairing him with Darrisaw will be tantamount to the offense’s success long-term.

Center Garrett Bradbury re-signed to a three-year, $15.8 million deal after a bounce-back season — but the guard spots remain a serious concern. Ed Ingram allowed the most pressures in the NFL (63) last season but played every snap as a rookie, while Ezra Cleveland allowed the third-most pressures (55).

Wow the most pressures allowed in the NFL with Ingram and Cleveland is 3rd most.  Is that including all OL positions?  Curious how many Bradbury allowed.  Granted those two guards could make Bradbury look worse than he is but also Bradbury could help the guards out a lot more than he does as well.

Sucks to have two solid tackles but it is kind of worthless if the interior gets pushed around.  One would hope Ingram improves just based on NFL experience.  Cleveland has mobility which is nice but recall they did draft him as a potential LT and that never worked out.  Sucky thing is who is the backup guard, Udoh I do not even consider him a guard anymore based on how poor he was at it, and Reed is nothing great.  I guess if they consider Schlottmann the backup but he is also the backup center...

Stinks they could have picked up some real damn quality interior OL depth in the draft and did not.  

They could have got Olu Oluwatimi multiple times and my guess is he starts on Seattle sooner than later.  Also passed on Luke Wylper multiple times, a RS SOPH center who was pretty solid at times and has a lot of potential.  And passed on Jarrett Patterson obviously multiple times a guy who played center and guard and tackle.  Passed on Andrew Vorhees and Nick Broeker who could both be very solid guards.

Roy and Ward better both hit because in that range they could have made a OL move.  Them being a 4th and a 5th round pick, but yes that Vikings depth at OL is looking pretty crappy unless some guys really show out.  

Will be interesting how the Patriots do, because they got Jake Andrews, Mafi and Sow all in this draft and all interior OL depth in the middle rounds.  And real sucky thing is they got a pretty solid group already outside of Reiff who is up there in age.  But David Andrews, Onwenu and Strange are all solid interior OL and Trent Brown on the outside as well with the power, if you throw in those draft picks as depth that is solid, Vikings do not have anything close to that kind of depth.  Patriots also got McDermott, Stueber and Anderson as OT depth as well.  

I think it's still a bit early to determine if they would have gotten better offensive lineman in the draft. Ingram and Cleveland were both high draft picks, after all. The draft is a crap shoot. Cleveland is gone after this season, in all likelihood. We can look to replace him next year. Hopefully Ingram can live up to his draft status. He definitely had flashes last season.