The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

I think Brandel's size advantage might play into the decision to make him the starter. Risner didn't offer much of anything in the run game, and I think the coaching staff really wants to make that a priority this season. Brandel seems to be better suited for that role. 

• Like 3

The Vikings opened against Las Vegas with their projected starting lineup of Christian Darrisaw, Blake Brandel, Garrett Bradbury, Ed Ingram and Brian O'Neill from left to right.

That group played the first drive, helping Darnold guide the offense down the field to start the game.

After the first series, Minnesota subbed in David Quessenberry for Darrisaw, Dan Feeney for Brandel, Michael Jurgens for Bradbury and Walter Rouse. Ingram remained in the game at right guard for the Vikings second possession of the game.

Minnesota drove the ball but McCarthy's pass on third-and-8 was intercepted.

Tyrese Robinson replaced Ingram on Minnesota's third possession.

In the third quarter, the Vikings moved Rouse to left tackle and brought in Henry Byrd at right tackle.

Minnesota native Spencer Rolland later entered the game at left guard.

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold-preseason-passes-reichard-finishes

Alec Lewis, The Athletic: “We haven’t talked much about right guard Ed Ingram during training camp. Several weeks ago, defensive lineman Jonah Williams bull-rushed him backward twice in a row. On Saturday, during Darnold’s first series, Ingram was turnstiled, causing quick defensive pressure."

"It feels as if the one guard spot still up for grabs is Ingram’s. He remained in the game on the Vikings’ second possession once they pulled the rest of the starters. A possible replacement, Dalton Risner, is currently rehabbing a back injury. It will be interesting to see how Minnesota mixes up this unit in Cleveland.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/three-years-in-and-ed-ingram-is-still-a-problem

Could pop this in the Raiders GDT but I'm going to put it here instead to steer the talk solely towards the OL.

Walter Rouse: 52
Michael Jurgens: 52
Dan Feeney: 30
Henry Byrd: 28
David Quessenberry: 24
Spencer Rolland: 22
----------------------------------
Ed Ingram: 19
Garrett Bradbury: 12
Christian Darrisaw: 12
Brian O'Neill: 12 
Blake Brandel: 12

Seemed like Rouse and Jurgens played pretty well for rookies. I also know that Tyrese Robinson (#79) saw some action but don't see him listed on the snap counts.

https://atozsports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings-news/minnesota-vikings-offesnive-snap-counts-preseason-walter-rouse-jj-mccarthy-michael-jurgens/

• Like 1

Rouse looks like he might have long term potential, he looked good. 

If I were putting the OL room together I'd have:

Darrisaw
Brandel
Bradbury
Ingram
O'Neill

Rouse
Risner
Quessenberry
Jurgens

I'd keep 9 to open a depth spot for another position, and keep Jurgens over Feeney for age/potential.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'd keep 9 to open a depth spot for another position, and keep Jurgens over Feeney for age/potential.

This is exactly where I'm at. At some point you can't expose the younger guys in hopes of sneaking them onto the PS. Feeney could very well end up on the PS, not sure of the qualifications for that anymore though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Rouse looks like he might have long term potential, he looked good. 

If I were putting the OL room together I'd have:

Darrisaw
Brandel
Bradbury
Ingram
O'Neill

Rouse
Risner
Quessenberry
Jurgens

I can't see them going with Jergens as the backup center right now more likely we go heavy and keep ten so they can ideally redshirt Jergens and Rouse.

1 minute ago, solidvikingfan said:

I can't see them going with Jergens as the backup center right now more likely we go heavy and keep ten so they can ideally redshirt Jergens and Rouse.

If Bradbury gets injured I'm not sure there's a functional difference between Feeney and Jurgens, other than Jurgens getting game reps will help him develop. Feeney is what he is at this point.

You can only keep so many players with potential. If you’re going to keeping Jurgens over Feeney, then he needs to be better than Feeney is now, because you may need to rely on him. If Jurgens hasn’t surpassed Feeney by the end of camp/preseason, then I’m not worried about a 24 yo, mid 7th round pick making it to the practice squad.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

You can only keep so many players with potential. If you’re going to keeping Jurgens over Feeney, then he needs to be better than Feeney is now, because you may need to rely on him. If Jurgens hasn’t surpassed Feeney by the end of camp/preseason, then I’m not worried about a 24 yo, mid 7th round pick making it to the practice squad.

I get that logic. They'd also save ~300K more cutting Jurgens over Feeney.

Tuesday practice:

The Vikings maintained their first grouping of LT Christian Darrisaw, LG Blake Brandel, C Garrett Bradbury, RG Ed Ingram and RT Brian O'Neill.

When the second group was in, Minnesota opted for David Quessenberry at left tackle, Tyrese Robinson at left guard, Michael Jurgens at center, Henry Byrd at right guard and Walter Rouse at right tackle.

That alignment flipped what the Vikings had done in opening Saturday's game against the Browns. That day, it was Rouse at left tackle and Quessenberry at right. Robinson started at left guard, and Ingram opened at right guard. Robinson moved to right guard when Byrd entered the game at left guard.

Veteran interior linemen Dalton Risner and Dan Feeney remain sidelined.

vikings.com

With the addition of Cindric on Wednesday, Minnesota now has 10 interior offensive linemen on its roster heading into the team's final preseason game on Saturday against the Philadelphia Eagles.

With Risner missing a bunch of practice recently, it seems like Blake Brandel and Ed Ingram are on track to open up the regular season as the Vikings' two starting offensive guards. This would leave Risner as a reserve entering Week 1 if Minnesota were to keep him on its final 2024 roster.

Since entering the NFL in 2019, Risner has started in more than 70 games. So, would he even be okay with remaining with the Vikings for the upcoming season if he doesn't have a chance to be a starter?

The Cindric signing probably doesn't have a big direct impact on Risner's status with Minnesota. But it does show that the Vikings are making sure they have plenty of interior offensive line options when they have to construct their final 53-man roster by next Tuesday.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/latest-minnesota-vikings-signing-bad-news-dalton-risner