The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

On 1/9/2024 at 10:16 AM, swede700 said:

That is awesome, great for Christian, with another fine season next year he will be getting a massive pay day potentially.  Is interesting Trent Williams is that high, and he should be but honestly in the Super Bowl he was beat badly more than once by my count, not a good showing by him and that poor play did impact the game and was a bit of a reason for the 49ers loss.  Sure they did not expect Trent Williams to give up TFL yards multiple times and pressures, or maybe I am recalling incorrectly but I think he did have a rough game if I remember right.  

Vikings are in a situation, last year I brought up how really bad their developmental or backup OL are, well currently have have basically zero backup or developmental OL on the roster.  Usually teams have one or two guys they can be like hey we can let go of this guy because we have him sitting in the wings.  Vikings have literally no one that fits that bill right now, will be interesting who is brought back, and sure most backups do not get paid much at all so it does not matter really.  However Risner will be getting a bigger pay day, Udoh might test the waters but we will see.  Is an odd position the Vikings are in on the OL.

LT Christian Darrisaw (2025 Free Agent)
LG
C Garrett Bradbury (2026 Free Agent)
RG Ed Ingram (2026 Free Agent)
RT Brian O'Neill (2026 Free Agent)

2024 Free Agents
Dalton Risner OG
Austin Schlottmann C
Olisaemeka Udoh OG/OT
David Quessenberry OT
Hakeem Adeniji OT
Chris Reed OG

2024 Restricted Free Agent
Blake Brandel OG/OT

Easy to think oh they got Bradbury and O'Neill locked up forever, well not really, sure will get some cheap years out of Ingram but he is barely a starter and if they did not add Risner this past year he would have been taken advantage of a lot more but Risner helped solidify a lot of things on the inside.  

Either way they need more quality on the OL and depth who are cheap but can maybe become a starter if they decided not to resign a guy or two.  

The Jets are cutting offensive guard Laken Tomlinson after two seasons, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports.

Tomlinson, 32, signed a three-year, $40 million deal with the Jets in the 2022 offseason. He started all 34 possible games the past two seasons, but he did not live up to the contract.

The Lions made Tomlinson a first-round pick in 2015, and after two seasons in Detroit, he landed in San Francisco. Tomlinson became a Pro Bowler with the 49ers, earning all-star honors in 2021 to set up his big free agency haul in 2022.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-jets-to-cut-laken-tomlinson

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Jets are cutting offensive guard Laken Tomlinson after two seasons, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports.

Tomlinson, 32, signed a three-year, $40 million deal with the Jets in the 2022 offseason. He started all 34 possible games the past two seasons, but he did not live up to the contract.

The Lions made Tomlinson a first-round pick in 2015, and after two seasons in Detroit, he landed in San Francisco. Tomlinson became a Pro Bowler with the 49ers, earning all-star honors in 2021 to set up his big free agency haul in 2022.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-jets-to-cut-laken-tomlinson

I'm not sure I would want the team to be interested in any offensive lineman cut by the Jets.  The Jets had the worst offensive line I have seen in all my years of watching professional football. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Entering his fourth season, Darrisaw will draw a big contract decision soon. NFL teams can trigger the fifth-year option of their 2021 draftees until May 2nd, and picking up Darrisaw’s option is just a formality at this point.

The compensation for the fifth-year option is set based on playtime and the number of Pro Bowls. Because he met the playtime criteria (75% of snaps over three seasons) but failed to make a trip to the Pro Bowl, although he deserved to be there, his salary projection is $16,037,000 in 2025, according to OverTheCap.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/expect-vikings-no-brainer-move-to-be-done-soon?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Dalton Risner: “I showed up there (Minnesota), and their four-year starter, within three weeks, I beat him out for the job, ended up trading him away, and I played 11 games. I thought things would change this offseason, here I am, in April, about to be May and I don’t have a job and it’s unfortunate."

BleedingPurple.com

49 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

The Risner situation is very strange to me. 

It's even stranger when the situation has happened in b2b seasons.

I would have thought half the league would be clambering to get an adequate starting lineman

22 minutes ago, viking said:

It's even stranger when the situation has happened in b2b seasons.

I would have thought half the league would be clambering to get an adequate starting lineman

Last year made some sense because he was coming off an injury.