The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

As of October 10th, he was rated 11th best G by PFF. I don't think he was that good, but "low level" is not how I would describe him.

I think most of us can agree that PFF has overrated the Vikings' OL this year (by how much is the real question).  11th is probably a generous rating considering how much better the OL has really played the last 2 weeks as compared to when Ezra was in there. 

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The OTC guy on Twitter said Ezra may not even have generated a comp pick by walking. 

I could see that only if the Vikings offset the players they lose with players they've brought in, but perhaps the league has differing notions on him as a player.  In my mind he's better than someone like Ben Powers who signed a 4th round comp deal.

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think most of us can agree that PFF has overrated the Vikings' OL this year (by how much is the real question).  11th is probably a generous rating considering how much better the OL has really played the last 2 weeks as compared to when Ezra was in there. 

sure, but I don't think he's a bottom 3rd guard either. that's all I was getting at.

Just now, RpMc said:

I could see that only if the Vikings offset the players they lose with players they've brought in, but perhaps the league has differing notions on him as a player.

I think the latter might just be the case.  We'll have to see what kind of contract he brings in, but I'm not sure it's going to be as lucrative as we discussed earlier.  I had said $10M, but I actually thought more seriously about lowering it to the $7M or so mark that McGovern got from the Bills.

9 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I think this is also a way of doing right by the player. He lost his job here, but he will get to play in Jacksonville to show he deserves a better contract in the off-season.

Yeah it's possible the went to him to see what he wanted to do. 

Otherwise I would have kept him for that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Brandel, Reed, Schlottman, and Quessenbery is fine depth. Seems Kuper has maximized the talent on the roster.

If worse comes to worse, they have another Ivy Leaguer on the PS in Henry Byrd (whose dad went to Vandy).  He's clearly another smart guy on the roster. 

2 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Is it possible Ezra wants to transition back to the left tackle position? Is this a more likely scenario with the Jags? It certainly won’t be an option here. 

I don't see OT as an option for Cleveland in Jacksonville. They've got Cam Robinson and Walker Little at LT and 2023 1st round Anton Harrison at RT. Both Robinson and Little are signed through next season (UFAs in 2025).

If Cleveland wants a shot at OT he'll need to test free agency.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I don't see OT as an option for Cleveland in Jacksonville. They've got Cam Robinson and Walker Little at LT and 2023 1st round Anton Harrison at RT. Both Robinson and Little are signed through next season (UFAs in 2025).

If Cleveland wants a shot at OT he'll need to test free agency.

I see this as a rental. I think Cleveland hits FA for sure.

• Like 2