The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The person watching the tape has to guess what the responsibilities of the individual linemen are and then make a judgment on it. 

It’s not guessing. You can watch plays and figure out what the blocking assignments are. There aren’t a lot of blocking concepts. And once you recognize what the concept is, it’s pretty easy to determine what each player’s responsibility is supposed to be. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not guessing. You can watch plays and figure out what the blocking assignments are. There aren’t a lot of blocking concepts. And once you recognize what the concept is, it’s pretty easy to determine what each player’s responsibility is supposed to be. 

That's not what I hear.  In fact, I just heard a game or 2 that they rated down one of our OL due to a play that the coaching staff said wasn't even his responsibility. 

Edited by swede700

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's not what I hear.  In fact, I just heard a game or 2 that they rated down one of our OL due to a play that the coaching staff said wasn't even his responsibility. 

PFF grades every play. Not just impactful ones. So, even if they marked down a play, it’s not enough to mark down his entire game. 

And it’s not just PFF that has the Vikings o-line graded highly this year. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Also, a text book night of how a quarterback can make their offensive line look great. 

For as well as the o-line played, the way that Cousins was navigating the pocket made the o-line shine. 

Definitely felt like it was one of Kirk’s better games in terms of working his way through the pocket. No sacks, seemed to have a great feel, only real bad decision was the Int (which honestly was a 50/50 ball) and the TD pass at the end of the first half (felt like that really should have been picked and was a bit of a fluke but good things can happen when you’re aggressive just as they can backfire). At 3-4, we’re still in it and the schedule looks more favorable, more road games too. Dont know what to make of the home struggles this year.

• Like 1