The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Cleveland is not...although, outside of that one play where he just got blown up by Chris Jones, I think he had to have done a decent job. 

From that video, it looks like Cleveland releases Jones because it’s a screen pass, and Jones grabs Cleveland. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

From that video, it looks like Cleveland releases Jones because it’s a screen pass, and Jones grabs Cleveland. 

I'll have to see it again...if I remember the play correctly, I think Romo initially thought it was supposed to be a screen too, but then changed his mind and said it really was just a drop-back and he got blown up. 

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I'll have to see it again...if I remember the play correctly, I think Romo initially thought it was supposed to be a screen too, but then changed his mind and said it really was just a drop-back and he got blown up. 

Are we talking about the touchdown play that was linked above? Or a different play? 

44 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Wes Phillips was talking about how hard it is to change the narrative around offensive lineman. Has Ingram shown improvement that makes it tougher to switch for Reisner?

definitely. The mistakes are obvious to everyone. The successes are difficult to see in real time, and much harder to accept once people are predisposed to believing something else.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

definitely. The mistakes are obvious to everyone. The successes are difficult to see in real time, and much harder to accept once people are predisposed to believing something else.

It is very hard to break an impression. In all walks of life, but especially emotional ones like fandom.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Except it isn’t a lie. 

It's not a lie, but I'll still say it's misleading...because more than any other position in football, the rating of offensive line play is based on perception rather than actual hard statistics.  The person watching the tape has to guess what the responsibilities of the individual linemen are and then make a judgment on it. 

I'm not saying they haven't gotten better at it, since they probably have, but it's really hard to evaluate the meaning of these ratings since we have no idea the capability of the people evaluating it.