The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

Hill wasn’t bad at all. It usually takes OL a year or two to develop as effective starters, and that was his first extended playing time. He was a pretty good pass blocker and a pretty bad run blocker. He might be better at both, this year.

With existing personnel, I’d rather see Hill at RT and Remmers inside than Isidora starting and Remmers outside. 

Aviante Collins might also be able to push for some snaps at OT this year. He looked great in his few snaps as a run blocking 6th OL, for what little that’s worth.

Not sure who the tackle capable versatile OL are in the draft. Isaiah Wynn maybe?

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

Remmers at RG, if true*, means Berger won't be chased by Spielman, but may return.  That leaves open RT, with Hill the presumed starter.

* - the quoted source is PA, after all.

If Easton leaves, a 2nd rd pick is available to draft a LG. 

If Berger returns to MN, he's the versatile-sub IOL. 

There is still a need to upgrade, despite Hill's good potential, at RT.

So, top 2 draft picks must be DT, RT, in that order.    That's just my naive interpretation of the draft prospect depth of OT, DT.  Draft Geeks; correct me if I'm wrong.  But, to hedge, a very talented RT might drop to 30 while all top DTs have been taken before 30.   ...Any draft sequence could happen!  :)

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

Remmers at RG, if true*, means Berger won't be chased by Spielman, but may return.  That leaves open RT, with Hill the presumed starter.

* - the quoted source is PA, after all.

If Easton leaves, a 2nd rd pick is available to draft a LG. 

If Berger returns to MN, he's the versatile-sub IOL. 

There is still a need to upgrade, despite Hill's good potential, at RT.

So, top 2 draft picks must be DT, RT, in that order.    That's just my naive interpretation of the draft prospect depth of OT, DT.  Draft Geeks; correct me if I'm wrong.  But, to hedge, a very talented RT might drop to 30 while all top DTs have been taken before 30.   ...Any draft sequence could happen!  :)

Reading This Post has me a bit...perplexed. Does it have to be DT first and RT second, or is it that any draft sequence could happen?

Yeah I like Easton but he was the weak link last year. He’d be better in Berger’s old role as the IOL backup. 

I’d like to see them draft a guard in round 1 or 2, who could start as a rookie and push Easton to the bench. Give Hill a chance to play RT all year with an option of bumping Remmers back outside (and starting Easton in his place at guard) if Hill’s not up to it. 

For instance:

Reiff - Wynn - Elflein - Remmers - Hill

Collins, Easton, Isidora and a later round rookie as backups

If the Vikings are able to land Richardson, then I think it makes sense that the draft will be heavy with offensive line picks.  I could see the first two picks both being offensive linemen.

I am just surprised the team doesn't appear to like what they saw from Isidora last season.  I thought he played well when called into action.  Especially for a 5th round rookie.  I clearly remember him even putting a couple of people in the dirt.

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the Vikings are able to land Richardson, then I think it makes sense that the draft will be heavy with offensive line picks.  I could see the first two picks both being offensive linemen.

With Cousins and Richardson, I'd say just draft like 7 OL and see what sticks. Maybe throw in a DB.

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Um, maybe 1. RT, 2. CB slot, 3. OG/C.  4 - on BPA, incl TE, LB.   Re: other thread; I didn't mean to imply you were only negative on Cousins.  I'll explain in that thread later.... gotta go.