The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Two new guards next year please. 

Draft or FA? IIt's gonna be really tough to find decent guards in either Draft or FA considering demand for OL these days...People who are familiar with prospects were saying there really aren't great OL prospects in this draft..it's apparently loaded with DL talents

Edited by upriser7

36 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Draft or FA?

Yes. Both.

38 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

It's gonna be really tough to find decent guards in either Draft or FA considering demand for OL these days.

True enough. It is going to cost some bank if there is a blue chip starter is available in free agency. It is worth it. If that means the team can keep neither Waynes nor Barr then they shouldn't keep either of them. Achieving average offensive line play is too important IMO to ignore (again/still). Coach Zimmer needs to coach up mid round draft picks to become at least respectable DBs. If he can't do that, the team might as well hire an offensive genius that can coach up mid round draft picks on offense to respectability.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders move on from Kelechi Osemele given all the other cap cutting they've done - otherwise free agency is pretty bare.  It's going to have to come through the draft or internal improvement from players like Isidora.

22 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders move on from Kelechi Osemele given all the other cap cutting they've done - otherwise free agency is pretty bare.  It's going to have to come through the draft or internal improvement from players like Isidora.

Do the Vikes even have any cap space to sign a free agent? Some big free agents on defense next year.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Do the Vikes even have any cap space to sign a free agent? Some big free agents on defense next year.

Depends on what they decide to do with the likes of Barr and Richardson; could probably free up enough money for a decent guard by releasing Remmers and Sendejo.  There are ways to create money; and this team is in the position where they should look into the majority of those avenues.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

I would be willing to let Barr and Richardson go for a good O-lineman in FA and then draft a couple too.  They have tried to address the O-line but not with the urgency they have the defense and we see the results.  With the defense solid you can now reach for a guy there but the days of doing that with the Oline are over.  All in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Seems like Isidora takes a 2 steps forward and 1 step back. 1 step forward 2 steps back and so forth. There are times I really like what he brings and I am hopeful with another off season he will become stronger and more consistent. 

1 hour ago, Bermuda Viking said:

I would be willing to let Barr and Richardson go for a good O-lineman in FA and then draft a couple too.  They have tried to address the O-line but not with the urgency they have the defense and we see the results.  With the defense solid you can now reach for a guy there but the days of doing that with the Oline are over.  All in. 

Are there any good ones worth signing? I'd rather not throw elite money at an average starter again. 

Edited by vikingsrule

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That probably ain't gonna happen.  Start with 1 guard and build from there.  Throwing money at average players isn't going to solve anything.  

Which is why I said it's probably going to have to happen through the draft and/or internal improvement - the list of expected free agent guards isn't awe inspiring.  All I know is that Remmers is maddeningly inconsistent, and his failure to slide left on a protection and let than animal from Canada get through untouched was a huge mental gaffe.  Compton seemingly has zero play strength.

Nothing is going to help Cousins more than giving him a pocket to step up into to avoid edge pressure. Batted passes at the line will decrease and strip sacks should decrease as well (assuming he moves forward in the pocket when it's there).

We have mostly been given Elflein a pass owing to his injury that prevented him from offseason training. I believe it is justifiable to give him that pass but it can at least be mentioned that Elflein hasn't been good this year. The team is going to need a lot of improvement from the man in the middle next year. 

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Nor is having a terrible OL.

True, but I still have to think that Elflein actually having an offseason to train (instead of rehab) and O'Neill also getting a full offseason to strengthen himself will be much better next season.  We'll also have to see what is done with Easton, because having him back would be like having a new guard.  Find another new guard in the draft and I think they'd be improved.   

• Like 1