The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Nor is having a terrible OL.

I would argue that throwing money at average OL is the solution. The team needs to realize that it is going to need to pay what it costs for an average offensive line. What they need to avoid is throwing money at below average offensive linemen.

While throwing money at average players to steady the ship, the team needs to draft wisely to bring their offensive line above average and have a piece or two at lower costs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I would argue that throwing money at average OL is the solution. The team needs to realize that it is going to need to pay what it costs for an average offensive line. What they need to avoid is throwing money at below average offensive linemen.

While throwing money at average players to steady the ship, the team needs to draft wisely to bring their offensive line above average and have a piece or two at lower costs.

When they were signed, Reiff and Remmers were the epitome of today's average offensive linemen.  The draft is the only solution.  

• Like 2

You guys are forgetting that there is another way, besides draft and free agency, to get players...trade for them.  The Vikings have both picks and good players that we should be willing to dangle in front of other teams for quality linemen.  I'd be willing to part with some players as trade bait.

5 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

You guys are forgetting that there is another way, besides draft and free agency, to get players...trade for them.  The Vikings have both picks and good players that we should be willing to dangle in front of other teams for quality linemen.  I'd be willing to part with some players as trade bait.

Any players in particular?  Also remember that a decent starting lineman will not come cheap

7 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

The problem is that you actually have to give up greater value in picks and players because good linemen are soooo hard to come by. You can name teams that have a wealth of good players at WR, CB, RB and the like, but name me one team that has 3 starting caliber tackles or guards. I can't think of one. I can't think of a team that has 6 average or above average linemen. It just doesn't exist in today's NFL 

12 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I didn't forget about the trade option, I just don't think it's a viable option.  You'd have to give up far more than you'd get in return, considering how vital good offensive linemen are in this league.  So again, draft is the only option.

Edited by swede700

On 11/19/2018 at 11:43 AM, upriser7 said:

I wonder how much someone like David Morgan if fully fit could have helped our OL last night

I was thinking the same thing about Will Hernandez.  They said that he is a mauler and didn't fit our scheme, but maybe our scheme needs to find a way to use guys like that.  Our run blocking is nonexistent.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I was thinking the same thing about Will Hernandez.  They said that he is a mauler and didn't fit our scheme, but maybe our scheme needs to find a way to use guys like that.  Our run blocking is nonexistent.  

I never bought that.  Hernandez is actually mobile despite his size.  I sometimes believe people would turn down Steve Hutchinson in favor of scheme fit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

We have mostly been given Elflein a pass owing to his injury that prevented him from offseason training. I believe it is justifiable to give him that pass but it can at least be mentioned that Elflein hasn't been good this year. The team is going to need a lot of improvement from the man in the middle next year. 

I think he should be the starter going into next year but it wouldn't hurt to draft someone to develop as a backup plan. Or they should draft a guard/center that can start it at guard and move over to center of needed

Here's the 2019 linemen free agent list.

3345a9y.jpg

Nothing all too exciting there.

As for trading, EVERY GM in the league knows how important an offensive line is. You're not going to get a solid linemen without destroying your draft capitol in the process. 

The crappy thing about the draft, besides the bust factor, is that even draft 'n play picks may be pretty shaky in their rookie season which may still produce periods of bad line play and all of a sudden....we're into Kirk's last year and finally have a consistent line. What we need to do now is what we needed to do 2-3 years ago (no duh!)

As for Will Hernandez.....He's looking like he's going to be a stud. You either teach him to fit in your scheme or you adjust your scheme around him but too late anyways.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

I don't see a single FA OL worth throwing $10+ million per year at. Therefore, im focusing free agent resources on keeping the defense together. I'd consider trading Trae Waynes if I can get more draft capital and look to free agency for a stop gap starter at CB while Hughes is groomed into the role.

Guard needs to be looked at early and we need two. 

Wouldn't mind bringing Easton and Compton back as competition at LG and valuable depth. Easton may very well be an upgrade at LG and C for us if healthy. But that's a huge question mark.

LT Reiff

LG 2nd-3rd rd (from Waynes)

C Elflein

RG 1st

RT O'Neill

Depth: Hill, Compton, Easton, Isidora

18 hours ago, swede700 said:

I didn't forget about the trade option, I just don't think it's a viable option.  You'd have to give up far more than you'd get in return, considering how vital good offensive linemen are in this league.  So again, draft is the only option.

I didn't say it wouldn't be risky.  Sometimes you have to risk something to get something.

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yeah. Let's trade Waynes who is arguably our best CB this year. Not like our first round rookie blew up his knee or anything. 

It baffles me how much Vikings fans undervalue him. 

You want to pay him top 5-10 CB money? Can we even afford that without sacrificing the OL again? 

Given their showings this year, and as blasphemous as it may sound, I’d rather move on from Rhodes than Waynes.

both get nicked up/injured too much, but Waynes has been the better corner this year to my eyes (granted that’s without deeper investigation).