Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

One thing that I think is a little bit of an X factor here is Jayson Tatum playing against Bradley Beal. I think he basically idolizes Beal, and he’s never really played well against us. Are those things related? I kinda think so. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

One thing that I think is a little bit of an X factor here is Jayson Tatum playing against Bradley Beal. I think he basically idolizes Beal, and he’s never really played well against us. Are those things related? I kinda think so. 

Nailed that one. Obviously Tatum was totally off his game...

Westbrook’s aging shows up more in these sorts of games. In the regular season, when everyone is mostly on cruise control, he’s still able to make the big impact because he plays so much harder than everyone else.

The hustle rebounds aren’t quite as there, the windows for all those high-risk passes he likes to thread get smaller, and they systematically target him on defense to take a little more starch out of the legs. He still has the flashes of brilliance, even when he plays badly as he did today, but he’s not going to dominate the whole tone of the game the way he does in the regular season games. Maybe he was hurt or sick today...but this kind of performance isn’t exactly brand new for him in the playoffs over the last couple years. 

The other thing that’s glaring is the lack of shooting. Obviously, you’re not going to see Beal + Westbrook + Bertans combine to go 1 for 17 from 3 very often — and holy smokes, how worthless is Bertans when the shot isn’t falling? — but still, the game has become one of just raining down 3’s, and this roster is just not built to do that. They desperately need more (playable) knock-down shooters. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

Westbrook’s aging shows up more in these sorts of games. In the regular season, when everyone is mostly on cruise control, he’s still able to make the big impact because he plays so much harder than everyone else.

Ya he still gets people going, he had that one nasty putback dunk.  But defensively he just isn't there anymore and his lack of shooting hurts the spacing. 

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

The other thing that’s glaring is the lack of shooting. Obviously, you’re not going to see Beal + Westbrook + Bertans combine to go 1 for 17 from 3 very often — and holy smokes, how worthless is Bertans when the shot isn’t falling? — but still, the game has become one of just raining down 3’s, and this roster is just not built to do that. They desperately need more (playable) knock-down shooters. 

Agreed.  The shooting was abysmal.  This team is basically built for Beal to carry the team and with Beal nursing a bum hamstring he needs the role players to step up and they just didn't.  

I expect the Pacers to destroy the Wizards and move on.  The Wizards have no one who can handle Sabonis, and Brogdon will eat up Westbrook.  The only wildcard is that Levert didn't play against the Hornets (not that they needed him).  

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, I haven’t paid much attention this year but wasn’t it better to lose this game? Did you really want to play the Nets? 

I don’t think it really matters. This team as currently constructed isn’t winning a playoff series even if they beat Indy tomorrow night.

Seriously though, Anthony Gill plays good defense, rebounds, hustles, has good size & can knock down an open 3, why wasn’t he getting more minutes at SF this entire season? 

6 minutes & 10 points.

Personally, I’ve felt like he should’ve been given the chance to start at SF over guys like Bonga to start the season. If he had been given that opportunity I feel like he would’ve seized the opportunity. Every time he gets in the game he defends well, rebounds and hits open shots.

Great win by the Wiz last night 142-115. Russ really rebounded to have an awesome game, Beal did his thing despite battling through his hamstring injury and not playing most of the 4th quarter, Rui was solid and Gafford played awesome in the middle.

Russ: 18 pts, 8 rebs & 15 asts

Beal: 25 pts (4-7 from 3) 5 rebs & 4 asts 

Rui: 18 pts (2-3 from 3) 4rebs, 2 asts

Neto: 14 pts (2-4 from 3)

Gafford: 15 pts, 13 rebs, 5 blocks

Lopez & Bertans scored 9 points each

Ish threw in 8 pts w/ 4 rebs & 6 asts 

Anthony Gill had 10 pts in just 6 minutes (knocked down two open 3s), somehow Brooks has to find this guy more plying time and he’s needed to all year. He plays good defense, rebounds, hustles, has good size & can knock down an open 3, why wasn’t he getting more minutes at SF this entire season? He was never given a chance to start at that position as far as I’ve seen and for what we’ve needed out of that other forward position all year it would’ve made more sense to try him there over a guy like Bonga to start the season.

I think vs the Sixers it will make sense to play Gill more. The Sixers have a big team. Elmbid 7’, Simmons 6’10 and Harris 6’8. I think we should play Gill more than both of our back up PGs to match up vs their size.