Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

The problem with the Avdija pick is not Avdija himself — it’s that it just wasn’t likely to work out alongside the Westbrook trade. 

The whole appeal of Avdija is that he’s a big SF who can handle the ball and be creative for other players. He has tremendous feel and passing ability, he’s clever and creative and it’s pretty obvious that he understands the game on a high level. In theory, at the time of the pick, that’s a little redundant with what Troy Brown was supposed to bring, but I don’t think anyone was making any decisions based on Troy Brown being on the roster. 

The problem is, there’s very little room for anyone else to breathe in an offense dominated by Russell Westbrook, especially  when you also have Bradley Beal. Despite missing several games, Westbrook was 2nd in the NBA in total touches (behind the MVP Jokic) and 4th in the NBA in time possessing the ball (behind Luka, Damian Lillard, and Trae Young). He is still as ball-dominant as any player in the league, he’s just not as good anymore as the rest of the guys who get the right to hoard the rock like that. Then you add in Beal, who was also top 25ish in touches despite missing a dozen games, and the fact that the Brooks offense is very much predicated on running things through the PGs — there was very little chance for anyone else to do much creating or freelancing. 

If you’re going to have a team built around Russell Westbrook (which you shouldn’t, but if you’re going to take him, you might as well try to do it right), you have to fill it with players who complement him. Spot-up shooters and transition rim-runners and pick and roll alley-oop-catchers. Guys who can comfortably play off of him, and finish plays quickly and decisively (whether by launching a jumper or finishing at the rim) when he does dole out touches to them. 

Guys like Avdija and Brown are totally wasted playing next to a Russell Westbrook. It smothers their gifts (ball handling, passing, creativity) and it highlights their weaknesses (mediocre shooting and below-the-rim playing style). I really like Avdija, but the pick was immediately submarined two weeks after it was made by the decision to bring in Westbrook. Had they known they we’re going to do that, someone like Devin Vassell or the obvious pick, Tyrese Halliburton, would have made much more sense. Knock-down shooters who can play a little more perimeter defense to cover up for Westbrook’s general aversion to the concept of team defense.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, turtle28 said:

Welp 🤦‍♂️ 

Get ready for our 41-41 season and our 8th seed! 

How many times have I told you Leonsis is an awful owner and you always argue it. He’s a horrible owner who royally lucked out with Ovi.

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

How many times have I told you Leonsis is an awful owner and you always argue it. He’s a horrible owner who royally lucked out with Ovi.

You’ve proven me wrong in my defense of him time and time again! He’s better than Snyder but that’s an extremely low bar! 😂 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:
Brooks is out! Thank god! Hopefully now they get a HC who can put some offensive sets in and emphasize that the team play some defense!

Part of that issue is getting more players with some proclivity to play defense. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:35 AM, MikeT14 said:

There will be a lot of happiness at this development in many corners of the fanbase — but I think overall, they’ll end up making a lateral move at best. The personnel on the roster is the big problem, which means that almost all coaches are going to run into issues trying to win with the options they have. 

The most positive thing about this, for me, is that maybe Beal and Westbrook will be upset about Brooks getting shown the door and will force the team’s hand with requests to be moved. Westbrook agreeing to a reasonable buyout is the best thing that could happen to this franchise (though probably pretty far-fetched, with $90M left on his deal), and trading Beal for a real haul of contributing young players and picks would be a close second. 

Looking around the East, maybe there’s a path for them to get as high as the 5ish seed (in the ATL/NYK/MIA range)? If they have good health, Rui takes a big step forward, Gafford/Bryant proves to be a competent C duo, they add some shooting at 15 (Corey Kispert?), and they find a competent two-way starter at the 3, either through said pick 15 or veteran FA — they could be in that mix. But it’s never getting better than that with this group, unless they somehow fall into the next Giannis or something at 15. 

What they should be doing is hiring a tank coach and replacing Tommy Sheppard with a tank GM (the original himself is out there for the taking) and going through the process of burning it to the ground. But given that they’re pretty much stuck with Westbrook, I guess they’re going to feel compelled to try to win more games. Yay, I guess.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In two seconds...

Washington Wizards receive: Immanuel Quickley, Obi Toppin, No. 19 pick, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick (via Dallas, top-10 protected), 2024 first-round pick, 2026 first-round pick (top-eight protected)

New York Knicks receive: Bradley Beal

47 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

In two seconds...

Washington Wizards receive: Immanuel Quickley, Obi Toppin, No. 19 pick, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick (via Dallas, top-10 protected), 2024 first-round pick, 2026 first-round pick (top-eight protected)

New York Knicks receive: Bradley Beal

Wait, what? What do you mean "in two seconds?"