BF's Visit/Interest Based 2018 Mock

Broncofan

OK, less than 2 weeks to go - since I've been pointing out who DEN has seen privately as factors in other mocks, it's only fair I do one myself.  So here goes... note that this is also very dependent on the first 4 picks, so I'll add those in, and what the h***, I'll add in my dream first 4 (that has some realism to it, and not a total pipe dream lol):

1.1.  Darnold

1.2   Allen (via trade with BUF)

1.3   Mayfield

1.4  Chubb (CLE)

Courtesy of WF, here's the updated visit/interest list (COM - Combine interview, PRI - private visit, SR - Senior Bowl interview, EW - East West Shrine interview....a long time ago lol)

• Josh Allen^, QB, Wyoming (COM, PRI)
  • Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Kansas (COM)
  • Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama (PRI)
  • Jerome Baker, OLB, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State (COM)
  • Brandon Bean, WR, Grand Valley State (PRO)
  • Keishan Bierria, ILB, Washington (PRI)
  • Keishawn Bierria, ILB, Washington (PRI)
  • Bryce Bobo^, WR, Colorado (EW, LOC)
  • Toth, Brett, OT, Army (EW)
  • Trenton Cannon, RB, Virginia (PRI)
  • D.J. Chark, WR, LSU (PRI)
  • Regis Cibasu, WR, University of Montreal (EW)
  • James Daniels, C, Iowa (PRI)
  • Sam Darnold^, QB, USC (COM, WOR)
  • Gus Edwards, RB, Rutgers (PRI)
  • Luke Falk, QB, Washington State (COM)
  • Chris Hardeman, FS, Houston Baptist (PRO)
  • Heath Harding, CB, Miami (Ohio) (PRO)
  • Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois State (PRI)
  • Marquis Haynes^, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Ole Miss (SR, COM)
  • Connor Hilland, G, William & Mary (EW)
  • Donte Jackson, CB, LSU (PRI)
  • Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville (COM)
  • Josey Jewell, OLB/ILB, Iowa (PRI)
  • Ronald Jones II, RB, USC (PRI)
  • Mark Korte, C, Alberta (EW)
  • Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond (SR)
  • Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado (LOC)
  • Avonte Maddox, CB, Pittsburgh (EW)
  • Baker Mayfield^, QB, Oklahoma (COM, PRI)
  • Derek McCartney, DE, Colorado (LOC)
  • Matthew McCrane, K, Kansas State (EW)
  • Jamar McGloster, OT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Ryan Nall, FB, Oregon State (COM)
  • Deatrick Nichols, CB, South Florida (EW)
  • Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (COM)
  • Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (PRI)
  • Robert Priester, CB, Wyoming (PRO)
  • Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State (PRI)
  • Malik Reaves, CB, Villanova (EW)
  • Josh Rosen^, QB, UCLA (COM, PRI)
  • Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State (COM)
  • Tracy Sprinkle, DT, Ohio State (PRO)
  • Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma (EW)
  • Salesi Uhatafe, G, Utah (EW)
  • Vita Vea, DT/3-4DE/NT, Washington (PRI)
  • Fred Warner, OLB, Brigham Young (PRI)
  • James Washington^, WR, Oklahoma State (SR, COM)
  • Javon Wims, WR, Georgia (PRI)
  • Chris Worley, OLB, Ohio State (EW)

So, with the above in mind, let's do the mock picks below:

1.5 Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA - enough said.  We all know the argument for taking him, I just pray he's there.  If so, Elway runs to the podium.

2.8 Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State - in any other year, doubt he's there at #40, but the injury and Daniels/Hernandez/Wynn alternatives for C/G keeps him here.   I'd be thrilled to take any of those 3 ahead of him, but guessing they are gone.   In this scenario, we gladly take a starting G, or a replacement for Paradis if he's not all the way back.  Elway's not had a visit with Price, but that's partly circumstantial - he's recovering from hip surgery, so travel isn't possible for him.   

3.7 Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State - an early private visit, and we know Elway saw tons of him at the Senior Bowl, too.   3-down back who really upgrades our overall RB stable.   

3.99 Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State - no need to explain why - the love shown for the Charks of the world mean he's devalued.   I'd love Anthony Miller ahead of Gallup, but this is more about drafting for value, too, and I don't see Penny there at 3.7 if we go for Miller there (and Miller could be gone before then, too).    Note that while Gallup technically doesn't have a visit, DEN was present at his local workout day, and met with him extensively - with only 30 visits, it's hard to see why they'd spend a visit on him, when they can see him very easily (and they did).

4.106 Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa  - with the big 3 ILB gone in Round 1, and ILB Rashaan Evans as the likely 4th ILB, and Malik Jefferson and Darius Leonard all seen as insane-tool guys, I don't see the Day 2 love for Jewell - because guys with great instincts and a nose for the ball just don't get valued as the physical tool guys.  Elway's brought him in for a private visit, so the interest is certainly there.   If he's still there at 4.106, love the pick, and I suspect the 6 ILB's I just named will all go ahead of Jewell, and even our favorite PR story this year,  Shaquem Griffin, could all go ahead of him.   If there are 6-7 guys going ahead of Jewell, 4.106 seems very reasonable to see him as still there.    FTR, if Jewell were to go before 4.106, then that means any one of Jefferson/Leonard/Griffin are there, and I'd gladly take them too.  But since Jewell's athletic profile plays down, and Elway thinks enough to bring him, I"ll put Jewell in here. 

4.113 Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T (Greg Senat, Wagner, if Parker gone) - time to address T, and while I loved the earlier call by @broncos67 of Greg Senat, I love Parker even more.  Either way, one of those 2 developmental LT-capable guys are here, and it's best to get a guy who can do either, so either position can be filled, in case Bolles is best suited for RT.    Veldheer is at best a 1-year stopgap.

5.149 Devontae Harris, CB, Illinois State - he's purely a pick because Elway's brought him in, and his 4.43 speed and run-toughness suggest there's some ceiling.  His hips are stiff, and his reading needs work.  But at Rd5, I can see why Elway would want to inquire here.  Would help add to our CB depth more.  

5.160 Fred Warner, LB, BYU - this another nod is to Elway's private visit list.  And a nod to the insane tool, low-actual-on-the-field-skills guys.   Warner's an athletic freak, but needs more strength training.  He'd be a great 2nd ILB to draft, and unlike Jewell, would be an athletic freak that could also dominate ST while he learns.  Remember, we need to think beyond 2018, and in 2019+ it would be great to have 2 cheap ILB's, and not be reliant on either Todd Davis or Brandon Marshall. 

There are 3 main flaws to this scenario - first, no trades.  That's just not Elway's style.  It's so unlikely we don't make at least 1-2 trades - now maybe it's CJ Anderson for a 2019 pick, or a 2018 swap, so that would work lol.   The more important 2nd reason - I've listed where I see guys falling on the big board - sadly, we know Elway will reach for a guy, and sometimes badly, if he wants them badly enough.  I think the above is a reasonable rank list - but Elway's never shown the ability to risk losing certain guys (and why I've listed other guys I'd be happy with - something that Elway's not followed).   To be clear, while I'm trying to zero in on who Elway might pick, I'm also throwing in how I'd like to see Elway target those guys with how the overall Big Board goes - that type of value-based drafting is not something Elway's been doing for several years now, instead locking in to guys way ahead of how the Big Board is falling.   

The 3rd weakness is that I would have liked to find a way to have CB upgraded more, as I sense Elway wants to make a bigger splash (having been at Oliver's local workout, Combine interview and having brought in Anthony Averett & Donte Jackson for PRI visits).  And man, it kills me to not draft Sony Michel or Anthony Miller, my 2 skill position mancrushes.    But, I had to factor in Elway's interests, so I can''t get 'em all..and hard to put them in as realistic targets if Elway's not even seen them once (damn).

Now,  I tried to factor in who DEN has brought in, because history has shown this matters to Elway, especially early on.   Now, even with that, there are 2 picks without visits.  Price is a guy who Elway didn't bring in - but I do think Price's inability to travel in general explains it here.   Neither has Parker (or Senat), but by the time we are in Day 3, I think we can justify that, there are only so many visits you can make lol.

OK have at it, that was fun...

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

OK, less than 2 weeks to go - since I've been pointing out who DEN has seen privately as factors in other mocks, it's only fair I do one myself.  So here goes... note that this is also very dependent on the first 4 picks, so I'll add those in, and what the hell, I'll add in my dream first 4 (that has some realism to it, and not a total pipe dream lol):

1.1.  Darnold

1.2   Allen (via trade with BUF)

1.3   Mayfield

1.4  Chubb (CLE)

Courtesy of WF, here's the updated visit/interest list (COM - Combine interview, PRI - private visit, SR - Senior Bowl interview, EW - East West Shrine interview....a long time ago lol)

• Josh Allen^, QB, Wyoming (COM, PRI)
  • Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Kansas (COM)
  • Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama (PRI)
  • Jerome Baker, OLB, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State (COM)
  • Brandon Bean, WR, Grand Valley State (PRO)
  • Keishan Bierria, ILB, Washington (PRI)
  • Keishawn Bierria, ILB, Washington (PRI)
  • Bryce Bobo^, WR, Colorado (EW, LOC)
  • Toth, Brett, OT, Army (EW)
  • Trenton Cannon, RB, Virginia (PRI)
  • D.J. Chark, WR, LSU (PRI)
  • Regis Cibasu, WR, University of Montreal (EW)
  • James Daniels, C, Iowa (PRI)
  • Sam Darnold^, QB, USC (COM, WOR)
  • Gus Edwards, RB, Rutgers (PRI)
  • Luke Falk, QB, Washington State (COM)
  • Chris Hardeman, FS, Houston Baptist (PRO)
  • Heath Harding, CB, Miami (Ohio) (PRO)
  • Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois State (PRI)
  • Marquis Haynes^, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Ole Miss (SR, COM)
  • Connor Hilland, G, William & Mary (EW)
  • Donte Jackson, CB, LSU (PRI)
  • Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville (COM)
  • Josey Jewell, OLB/ILB, Iowa (PRI)
  • Ronald Jones II, RB, USC (PRI)
  • Mark Korte, C, Alberta (EW)
  • Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond (SR)
  • Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado (LOC)
  • Avonte Maddox, CB, Pittsburgh (EW)
  • Baker Mayfield^, QB, Oklahoma (COM, PRI)
  • Derek McCartney, DE, Colorado (LOC)
  • Matthew McCrane, K, Kansas State (EW)
  • Jamar McGloster, OT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Ryan Nall, FB, Oregon State (COM)
  • Deatrick Nichols, CB, South Florida (EW)
  • Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (COM)
  • Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (PRI)
  • Robert Priester, CB, Wyoming (PRO)
  • Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State (PRI)
  • Malik Reaves, CB, Villanova (EW)
  • Josh Rosen^, QB, UCLA (COM, PRI)
  • Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State (COM)
  • Tracy Sprinkle, DT, Ohio State (PRO)
  • Jordan Thomas, CB, Oklahoma (EW)
  • Salesi Uhatafe, G, Utah (EW)
  • Vita Vea, DT/3-4DE/NT, Washington (PRI)
  • Fred Warner, OLB, Brigham Young (PRI)
  • James Washington^, WR, Oklahoma State (SR, COM)
  • Javon Wims, WR, Georgia (PRI)
  • Chris Worley, OLB, Ohio State (EW)

So, with the above in mind, let's do the mock picks below:

1.5 Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA - enough said.  We all know the argument for taking him, I just pray he's there.  If so, Elway runs to the podium.

2.8 Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State - in any other year, doubt he's there at #40, but the injury and Daniels/Hernandez/Wynn alternatives for C/G keeps him here.   I'd be thrilled to take any of those 3 ahead of him, but guessing they are gone.   In this scenario, we gladly take a starting G, or a replacement for Paradis if he's not all the way back.  Elway's not had a visit with Price, but that's partly circumstantial - he's recovering from hip surgery, so travel isn't possible for him.   

3.7 Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State - an early private visit, and we know Elway saw tons of him at the Senior Bowl, too.   3-down back who really upgrades our overall RB stable.   

3.99 Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State - no need to explain why - the love shown for the Charks of the world mean he's devalued.   I'd love Anthony Miller ahead of Gallup, but this is more about drafting for value, too, and I don't see Penny there at 3.7 if we go for Miller there (and Miller could be gone before then, too).    Note that while Gallup technically doesn't have a visit, DEN was present at his local workout day, and met with him extensively - with only 30 visits, it's hard to see why they'd spend a visit on him, when they can see him very easily (and they did).

4.106 Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa  - with the big 3 ILB gone in Round 1, and ILB Rashaan Evans as the likely 4th ILB, and Malik Jefferson and Darius Leonard all seen as insane-tool guys, I don't see the Day 2 love for Jewell - because guys with great instincts and a nose for the ball just don't get valued as the physical tool guys.  Elway's brought him in for a private visit, so the interest is certainly there.   If he's still there at 4.106, love the pick, and I suspect the 6 ILB's I just named will all go ahead of Jewell, and even our favorite PR story this year,  Shaquem Griffin, could all go ahead of him.   If there are 6-7 guys going ahead of Jewell, 4.106 seems very reasonable to see him as still there.    FTR, if Jewell were to go before 4.106, then that means any one of Jefferson/Leonard/Griffin are there, and I'd gladly take them too.  But since Jewell's athletic profile plays down, and Elway thinks enough to bring him, I"ll put Jewell in here. 

4.113 Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T (Greg Senat, Wagner, if Parker gone) - time to address T, and while I loved the earlier call by @broncos67 of Greg Senat, I love Parker even more.  Either way, one of those 2 developmental LT-capable guys are here, and it's best to get a guy who can do either, so either position can be filled, in case Bolles is best suited for RT.    Veldheer is at best a 1-year stopgap.

5.149 Devontae Harris, CB, Illinois State - he's purely a pick because Elway's brought him in, and his 4.43 speed and run-toughness suggest there's some ceiling.  His hips are stiff, and his reading needs work.  But at Rd5, I can see why Elway would want to inquire here.  Would help add to our CB depth more.  

5.160 Fred Warner, BYU - this another nod is to Elway's private visit list.  And a nod to the insane tool, low-actual-on-the-field-skills guys.   Warner's an athletic freak, but needs more strength training.  He'd be a great 2nd ILB to draft, and unlike Jewell, would be an athletic freak that could also dominate ST while he learns.  Remember, we need 1.

There are 3 main flaws to this scenario - first, no trades.  That's just not Elway's style.  It's so unlikely we don't make at least 1-2 trades - now maybe it's CJ Anderson for a 2019 pick, or a 2018 swap, so that would work lol.   The more important 2nd reason - I've listed where I see guys falling on the big board - sadly, we know Elway will reach for a guy, and sometimes badly, if he wants them badly enough.  I think the above is a reasonable rank list - but Elway's never shown the ability to risk losing certain guys (and why I've listed other guys I'd be happy with - something that Elway's not followed).   To be clear, while I'm trying to zero in on who Elway might pick, I'm also throwing in how I'd like to see Elway target those guys with how the overall Big Board goes - that type of value-based drafting is not something Elway's been doing for several years now, instead locking in to guys way ahead of how the Big Board is falling.   

The 3rd weakness is that I would have liked to find a way to have CB upgraded more, as I sense Elway wants to make a bigger splash (having been at Oliver's local workout, Combine interview and having brought in Anthony Averett & Donte Jackson for PRI visits).  And man, it kills me to not draft Sony Michel or Anthony Miller, my 2 skill position mancrushes.    But, I had to factor in Elway's interests, so I can''t get 'em all..and hard to put them in as realistic targets if Elway's not even seen them once (damn).

Now,  I tried to factor in who DEN has brought in, because history has shown this matters to Elway, especially early on.   Now, even with that, there are 2 picks without visits.  Price is a guy who Elway didn't bring in - but I do think Price's inability to travel in general explains it here.   Neither has Parker (or Senat), but by the time we are in Day 3, I think we can justify that, there are only so many visits you can make lol.

OK have at it, that was fun...

Awesome job with the visits and draft I freaking love this draft wish I could triple like this.

I would do backflips around my neighborhood if this came to life. That would be unreal. I don't know that Warner goes that late, but everyone else I could roughly see going when they do. I might replace Price with James Daniels, but other than that, no complaints about any of these guys. I do think many of our early picks are going to be on the offensive side of the ball.

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I would do backflips around my neighborhood if this came to life. That would be unreal. I don't know that Warner goes that late, but everyone else I could roughly see going when they do. I might replace Price with James Daniels, but other than that, no complaints about any of these guys. I do think many of our early picks are going to be on the offensive side of the ball.

I’d probably go Daniels too but I’m assuming he isn’t available.  

Warner could go sooner but when you have a 4th-5th round grade it’s such a crapshoot to know how it works out.      If it helps, I could have swapped 11 spots and gone Warner & Harris lol.

My main misgiving about this mock draft is when Elway loves a guy he ignores the draft board.   I could easily see him reach for Warner Rd 4 or Jewell Rd 3.   The board rank just has them lower.  It would be great if we see Elway show that patience (esp since there are alternatives if the price is too early).   It would have to mean he’s willing to avoid locking in on some guys no matter how the board is falling.   We’ll see. 

2 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

So...we're all in agreement that if the draft goes any other way we're rioting to and tearing down the stadium that must not be named

To be fair, I only go QB if it's Darnold/Rosen.  Others feel differently and would do it for Mayfield and a few for Allen, and I get the reasoning (but gotta admit while I'm conflicted on Mayfield, I'm outright terrified if it's Allen).  So for obvious reasons, this could go very differently - but I think there's a fairly large consensus to go QB (not unanimous, nor should it be) if Darnold/Rosen are there at 1.5 (Darnold sadly won't be there).     

The thing is, if Rosen is there, there's a pretty clear way to still get very productive players who actually fall in the overall BPA range with our picks, and deal with our needs - instead of trying to address needs in a very preset order.     That's the same argument for going Chubb 1.5, which I get.  I have nothing against Nelson, if he's the guy taken with Darnold/Rosen gone, I'd have zero problem, as he/Barkley/Chubb are all top-tier guys this year IMO - but you could put Chubb at 1.5 if QB is gone and have Rds 2-5 go the same way, because it's falling off the board and matching BPA (and using need only as a tiebreaker).   Nelson at 1.5, you won't get the same level of QB at 2.8 or the same level of D difference maker, as you get with QB/Chubb at 1.5 and C/G at 2.8.   The same argument against Barkley can be made.   This just illustrates the domino effect with going Rosen...if we're lucky enough that he's there, and Elway takes him.   Figured we could also make it more interesting to use guys we know Elway is targeting - sadly, that takes out Michel & Miller, though....I love 'em both.  Oh well.

Love this draft. Rosen at #5 is a no-brainer. I also like Billy Price a ton. The interior has more questions than people like to acknowledge and its likely that one, or more, are not here next season (McGovern may prove to be only a backup caliber, Paradis may not regain 2016 form and is a impending FA, Leary's knees may catch up to him). Price has a Richy Icognito ceiling and I freaking LOVE the way Richy plays the game.

Archived