Drafting big-armed QBs that flop

JaguarCrazy2832

59 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Add Jay Cutler to this list. 

Jay Cutler was the guy in 2006. He is also by far the most successful QB to come out of that draft, like him or not.

I agree, I had him in my original post on the first page of this thread.  Best arm talents at QB since 1998, here is that list.  He had a great arm but do not feel he was as raw as some of the others mentioned, he was more refined and proven over a few years and had a great senior season I thought despite not winning a ton, he came close many times and made his team pretty damn legit in the SEC.  

Matthew Stafford

Jay Cutler

JaMarcus Russell

Michael Vick

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Tbf there are plenty of counter examples where the big body, big arm guy was the right pick... 

Big Ben was the tall guy with the cannon from the small school in the 2003 draft, went third behind Eli and Rivers, but probably was the best QB in that draft, first ballot HOF

Jay Cutler, same deal, never fully panned out but was a starter for 10 years and much better than Young or Leinart

Joe Flacco, same deal, isn't great, but again 10 year starter, won a Super Bowl, Ravens have to be happy with that pick 

Matthew Stafford, big arm, plenty of accuracy issues, is now one of the best QBs in the league, much better than Sanchez who was more of the complete package but didn't have the arm talent

Cam Newton, ditto, he's a superstar 

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples but being very tall and having a great arm are valuable traits.  There are a lot of different profiles to success in the NFL.  There's a reason teams keep picking these guys.

But those guys were more than just measurables. They were more than the Osweiler's and Allen's pre-draft. Stafford was a pretty great prospect iirc. Yea he had the measurables but he played well at GA and was strong in alot of areas. 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

But those guys were more than just measurables. They were more than the Osweiler's and Allen's pre-draft. Stafford was a pretty great prospect iirc. Yea he had the measurables but he played well at GA and was strong in alot of areas. 

Allen is a pretty damn great prospect.  Stafford was a top recruit at a top school throwing to future nfl talent, with a future nfl running back, behind future nfl ol.  Allen's best wr of his college career is on the Bears' practice squad, let that sink in for a min.  He was a 0 star recruit who worked his *** off to become an nfl prospect.  He has all the intangibles you could ever ask for.  Hes smart, showed he can process quickly on the wonderlic, he has all the arm talent you could ever ask for. People acting like Allen isnt a great prospect are deluding themselves. If i was an nfl gm, Allen is the only one of the 4 that i would be willing to put my reputation on the line for.  Yeah he could flame out spectacularly, like the vast majority of 1st round qbs, he could also turn out to be spectacularly great, and i feel pretty confident that he is the only one of the group that has that potential.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Revisionist history.  Stafford couldnt hit a car in rush hour.  He was a great prospect because he had a great arm and was big and athletic.  The only difference between him and Allen is Stafford played at Georgia, so he was a sure fire #1 pick.  If Josh Allen was doing Josh Allen things at Georgia he'd have a decent chance of going above Darnold, which honeslty he already does. 

LIS I think Allen may be dumb but he's not that different here.

12 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Very reliable mutual friend says he isn’t smart and they would know (believe me they would), but who knows 

There are plenty of different kinds of smart. Maybe Josh sucked at algebra. Who cares? Football smart and school smart are two different things. I would say it helps to be smart in all facets of life, but as long as he knows how to attack coverages who cares?

14 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Very reliable mutual friend says he isn’t smart and they would know (believe me they would), but who knows 

His wonderlic and everything that everybody is saying about his work on the boards says different. Maybe hes not a molecular chemical engineer, but football intelligence seems pretty well locked up.

8 hours ago, vikestyle said:

There are plenty of different kinds of smart. Maybe Josh sucked at algebra. Who cares? Football smart and school smart are two different things. I would say it helps to be smart in all facets of life, but as long as he knows how to attack coverages who cares?

Oh I agree he could be fine.  It’s just a factor tbh.  All else equal I’d rather my QB not have a cave man brain.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:09 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Cam Newton was playing with other studs. Josh Allen is playing with a bunch of mongoloids. I don't think he's as good as Cam, but if you put Cam on this Wyoming team, they have the same record they had with Allen. Don't kid yourself.

What other studs?

And no Cam on Wyoming would dominate that level of football.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Agree about Stafford. He was a consensus # 1 pick and people even said he would have went # 1 the year before.

Yes, he had accuracy issues coming out but that was about it. Allen has many issues including anticipation, lack of competition, and question marks on his ability to read defenses.

As far as other big armed guys like Newton and Flacco, we'll I would say that outside of the one big season for Newton, he hasn't been worth the # 1 pick. Carolina had a really dominant team and it can be argued that having Newton has actually squandered that talent. Flacco, well, 1 SB seems to give you a career pass but at this point, I wouldn't trade for the guy to be my QB.

The problem with these big arm QBs is that very few ever develop the passing skills that allow for a more balanced team approach. You either win by their hand or lose. Gunslingers.

Archived