Around the NFL

Forge

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, but the impact Suh/Donald make goes further than just sacks. I don't trust our interior to get anything going in the run game and it's going to be hell blocking those two monsters on the inside. One plus is Shanny doesn't run much inside zone and instead runs a lot of stretch plays as well as HB pitches. 

Getting Beckham would be a solid counter to the two corners they traded for, but doubtful Lynch/Shanny go in that direction.

Trading up for Nelson would be an interesting counter move, though. An interior line of Nelson, Richburg and the best of of Garnett, Cooper and Tomlinson, that could be solid.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

This is the closest you have to a valid comparison

My post was hastily written and poorly expressed.  Probably one of the stupider posts I've made. :/ My apologies for making you waste your time reading it.  Of course if I did a better job of expressing what I meant you still would disagree with it so I'll save the effort. Let's just leave it at this - as old-fashioned and out-of-favor a notion as it might seem I still believe that when a guy gives his word on something (like agreeing to terms and signing a contract) he ought to live up to it.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, but the impact Suh/Donald make goes further than just sacks. I don't trust our interior to get anything going in the run game and it's going to be hell blocking those two monsters on the inside. One plus is Shanny doesn't run much inside zone and instead runs a lot of stretch plays as well as HB pitches. 

Getting Beckham would be a solid counter to the two corners they traded for, but doubtful Lynch/Shanny go in that direction.

Counterpoint, Donald hasn't done much against us since coming into the league. We seem to be that one team to frustrate him. Secondly, the Rams entire offseason has blown up their entire defense. They have no linebackers....cool they added Ramik Wilson, but they got rid of Alec Ogletree and I don't think Barron is a great scheme fit. Their edge rushers might be the only group in the NFL that is worse than ours at the moment. It could end up being great, but it's a very big risk and they don't have much else aside from their stud corners. It's a power play to gun it on Goff's contract. 

Also, how will they react now that teams can study McVay's offense for an entire offseason and scheme for that offense, it's going to be a fun chess match to monitor. Remember what Shanahan was able to scheme up against the JAX defense. Garoppolo's quick trigger release and the boots with the drag routes. Our OL was also in a very worse place at the point compared to now. We didn't have Richburg or possibly at that point a healthy Trent Brown when we play the Rams, our receiving corps. didn't have our current No. 1 weapon in Garçon, we could add someone in draft or trade for Odell, which I have a mixed view on. 

There's a lot of hotheads in that locker room now and who's to say that Suh doesn't get suspended for doing something stupid like stomping on someone the week before and gets suspended? 

You don't win games in March and April. 

Donald has been just fine against us. Maybe not the last meeting, but a few years ago he was dominant and his usual destructive self. 

Rams are building one hell of a squad. It's okay to admit that. Doesn't mean they are unbeatable, but they are doing exactly what a team with a QB on a rookie deal should do. Will be fun to see how it all plays out. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Donald has been just fine against us. Maybe not the last meeting, but a few years ago he was dominant and his usual destructive self. 

Rams are building one hell of a squad. It's okay to admit that. Doesn't mean they are unbeatable, but they are doing exactly what a team with a QB on a rookie deal should do. Will be fun to see how it all plays out. 

Not denying they are building a hell of a squad, but they are a squad with some elite stars, but still have holes. I don't think their OL is that great. I think that neglecting the middle of the linebacking corps and currently their edge rushers could hurt them, but who knows. I'm just saying there is no reason to panic right now. But, this is exactly what they should do with Goff's rookie deal. 

As for Donald in 7 games he has 20 tackles (18 solo) 3 sacks, 1 FF, 6 pressures against us. With the way our line has played, I'd expect him to truly dominate us that's what I meant by that statement. 

I went back and looked at it after the season ended. Kyle has owned Wade phillips in the three meetings they've had in the NFL. He is averaging something like 37 ppg when they have matched up as playcallers (I wish I would have written down the exact number). So I am still not too worried about their defense, because I have confidence in Kyle. There is no doubt they got better on that side of the ball though. 

They obviously run a 3-4. Suh and Donald seem like best suited to play the DE positions. Not sure who will play the nose, I guess that could be Suh with brokers playing the other end spot, but if that's the case it should be easy to simply play action the stretch outside zone run towards Donald with a boot to the other side. You could even have a TE scrape down the line and seal off that entire side of the field. Both of those guys can be overly aggressive to a fault, so you could always throw a screen to said TE after he slips out the back door. 

Suh has always been a guy you could trap on the inside. Delanie walker was able to square him up a couple of times when we played Detroit. He never seemed to adjust to it either. 

They added two top flight corners, no doubt. Jimmy will still eat them alive over the middle in the short passing game. 

This certainly hurts, but let's let things play out with the draft etc before we crown them nfcw champs 2018.. although who knows, maybe by then they will have odell lol the Rams are approaching the off-season like I wanted the niners to... Aggressive

5 hours ago, N4L said:

I went back and looked at it after the season ended. Kyle has owned Wade phillips in the three meetings they've had in the NFL. He is averaging something like 37 ppg when they have matched up as playcallers (I wish I would have written down the exact number). So I am still not too worried about their defense, because I have confidence in Kyle. There is no doubt they got better on that side of the ball though. 

They obviously run a 3-4. Suh and Donald seem like best suited to play the DE positions. Not sure who will play the nose, I guess that could be Suh with brokers playing the other end spot, but if that's the case it should be easy to simply play action the stretch outside zone run towards Donald with a boot to the other side. You could even have a TE scrape down the line and seal off that entire side of the field. Both of those guys can be overly aggressive to a fault, so you could always throw a screen to said TE after he slips out the back door. 

Suh has always been a guy you could trap on the inside. Delanie walker was able to square him up a couple of times when we played Detroit. He never seemed to adjust to it either. 

They added two top flight corners, no doubt. Jimmy will still eat them alive over the middle in the short passing game. 

This certainly hurts, but let's let things play out with the draft etc before we crown them nfcw champs 2018.. although who knows, maybe by then they will have odell lol the Rams are approaching the off-season like I wanted the niners to... Aggressive

Ever since Suh's first visit and the likelihood that he signs there, I've been thinking that the screen game would be our counter. TE screens, yes, but all screens. Maybe McKinnon will be our more potent counter to what the Rams are trying to build. Let them be aggressive, then we'll exploit the middle of their D.

6 hours ago, MasherSF said:

Not denying they are building a hell of a squad, but they are a squad with some elite stars, but still have holes. I don't think their OL is that great. I think that neglecting the middle of the linebacking corps and currently their edge rushers could hurt them, but who knows. I'm just saying there is no reason to panic right now. But, this is exactly what they should do with Goff's rookie deal. 

As for Donald in 7 games he has 20 tackles (18 solo) 3 sacks, 1 FF, 6 pressures against us. With the way our line has played, I'd expect him to truly dominate us that's what I meant by that statement. 

Six pressures? Dude had six pressures alone in a few games against us. And now good luck picking who to double team with Suh….. I'd go with Donald of course, but that allows Suh's bull rush to be more effective against a single blocker. 

Again, they are not unbeatable, I've already stated that. They are due for some bad injury luck after being super healthy last season. But when you have THAT good of a secondary plus interior DL, you could hide some of your defensive flaws. They still need a ILB plus pass rusher, and they may get that in the draft. Wade Phillips plus this talent? Wow……. 

you'd assume almost every team in the league will ring the Giants asking about OBJ, I'd love the 49ers to try and trade next years 1st rounder and some other picks to get him and then end up with a guy like Roquan Smith at 9. Odell's ability to take a slant 80 yards would put this offence on another level

Archived