Around the NFL

Forge

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the Pats use Cooks for a year and then recoup the first they basically used to get him lol. Actually ended up getting a higher pick in 2018 than they gave up last year.

So if OBJ is to be traded and the Rams are out of the race, then that means.......

I said the same thing in the news forum...like, Brandin cooks' salary went up 10x what it was last year, and somehow the Pats still got his trade value to appreciate lol. That's insane. 

I think it's less than 10% that OBJ is traded (I mean, if this sets the market, they absolutely have to get 2 firsts now, right? They have the same contract situation, and while Cooks is a nice player, he's not OBJ), but if I had to pick a favorite....can I say the Browns? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I said the same thing in the news forum...like, Brandin cooks' salary went up 10x what it was last year, and somehow the Pats still got his trade value to appreciate lol. That's insane. 

I think it's less than 10% that OBJ is traded (I mean, if this sets the market, they absolutely have to get 2 firsts now, right? They have the same contract situation, and while Cooks is a nice player, he's not OBJ), but if I had to pick a favorite....can I say the Browns? 

If there's any leverage if they are not getting many calls then they might get about the same value

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the Pats use Cooks for a year and then recoup the first they basically used to get him lol. Actually ended up getting a higher pick in 2018 than they gave up last year.

So if OBJ is to be traded and the Rams are out of the race, then that means.......

That's how good franchises work. I hope our FO learns all the tricks, and even invents a few of their own.

I'm not sure if this drives the price up or down for Odell, or does nothing.  It seems like the 49ers and Rams were the two people in the lead for Odell...if the Rams just took themselves out of the running, the 49ers have less to bid against? Unless of course there is already a deal in place. I don't see the Patriots dealing for him purely based on the money/diva factor. Doesn't come off like a Patriot and I don't think they'll want to commit 18m a year to him. Seems redundant. And frankly the Pats are pretty deficient in certain areas on their team, they could really use those picks for a reload or a trade-up for a young QB. 

Buffalo as a possibility for OBJ? 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I'm not sure if this drives the price up or down for Odell, or does nothing.  It seems like the 49ers and Rams were the two people in the lead for Odell...if the Rams just took themselves out of the running, the 49ers have less to bid against? Unless of course there is already a deal in place. I don't see the Patriots dealing for him purely based on the money/diva factor. Doesn't come off like a Patriot and I don't think they'll want to commit 18m a year to him. Seems redundant. And frankly the Pats are pretty deficient in certain areas on their team, they could really use those picks for a reload or a trade-up for a young QB. 

Buffalo as a possibility for OBJ? 

Honestly, outside of JLC, which is never believable, I haven't heard anything about the 49ers / OBJ to be honest, and I'm still not convinced that the FO thinks that we need an upgrade in that area after re-signing Goodwin. 

I still think that the Browns would be the favorite. They have the firepower. They have their franchise QB locked up (which is where Buffalo falters). They could potentially have even more firepower if they can get Buffalo into the 4 spot. They have Jarvis, OBJ's college teammate and good friend, and they also employ the receiver's coach from LSU from when Landry and OBJ were both there. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wonder if the 49ers and Pats would talk Trent Brown trade? The Pasts suddenly have a nice stockpile of picks in the first two rounds and just lost their starting left tackle...

The other aspect of this too is trading Brown for a third or second saves money via one less guy to extend..money that could go towards OBJ. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, outside of JLC, which is never believable, I haven't heard anything about the 49ers / OBJ to be honest, and I'm still not convinced that the FO thinks that we need an upgrade in that area after re-signing Goodwin. 

I blame social media for that type of hype.  Every single Facebook Niners-related group/page has been bombarding my newsfeed with the Niners/OBJ connection.  Polls, discussions, etc.. Nothing concrete.  Nothing anything our front office or coaches said.  However, if you saturate the market with that kind of talk, it makes it seem like it's dang near a done deal.  It feels nice to come here and get brought back down to Earth.  In fact, I'm not even a fan of him coming here, to be honest. 

Just now, Ataal said:

I blame social media for that type of hype.  Every single Facebook Niners-related group/page has been bombarding my newsfeed with the Niners/OBJ connection.  Polls, discussions, etc.. Nothing concrete.  Nothing anything our front office or coaches said.  However, if you saturate the market with that kind of talk, it makes it seem like it's dang near a done deal.  It feels nice to come here and get brought back down to Earth.  In fact, I'm not even a fan of him coming here, to be honest. 

To play devil's advocate.... did anyone hype up Cooks to the Rams or truthfully see it coming? On a serious note though if we added OBJ that would be a huge boost to our offense and would be big to counter the Rams moves on defense. Second, this Rams move makes no sense compared to their other moves. I don't see Cooks as that much of a big difference to some other receivers he may be more of a true No. 1 but I think Woods and Kupp are great options and Cooks doesn't add that much to their offense that Reynolds can't and Cooper is what they are hoping Tavon could be. I'm just really confused they sent a 1 to NE for him. 

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

That's how good franchises work. I hope our FO learns all the tricks, and even invents a few of their own.

Well, we did kind of pull one of the best trades ever last draft lol. 

OBJ to SF for our 1st+3rd+Armstead. 

Championship!!!!!!! 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, we did kind of pull one of the best trades ever last draft lol. 

OBJ to SF for our 1st+3rd+Armstead. 

Championship!!!!!!! 

+ Zane Beadles for good measure.

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

+ Zane Beadles for good measure.

Haha I like how every trade suggested involves AA. It’s like when you were a little kid trying to trade for a superior toy with your siblings ‘this one so awesome, look what it can do!’

5 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Haha I like how every trade suggested involves AA. It’s like when you were a little kid trying to trade for a superior toy with your siblings ‘this one so awesome, look what it can do!’

The thing with Armstead, it's that outside of these silly trade suggestions, we mostly forget he's even on the team. We really just want to get something for him before he has no value at all (if that isn't already the case).

7 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

We really don't much use for him and the Giants are switching to a 3-4 where Arnstead will have more value. 

Archived