Around the NFL

Forge

49 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think Alex is the biggest domino in 2018 free agency. I think KC would be foolish to move on from him at this point. Mahomes is simply not ready. He's on a pretty cheap rookie deal. They should be in no hurry to move on from Alex. Especially with the season he had. The game yesterday showed they still lack offensive firepower. Kelce went out and Hill was really their only true playmaker and was easily nullified because he's more so a gadget/slot type of WR. Not a true outside WR with the full route tree at his disposal. The should really concentrate on giving Alex more weapons next year and adding some depth to their front seven. 

If Alex goes, he will have his pick of suitors. Jax, Denver, Arizona and NYJ off the top of my head. And I'd argue teams like Cincy and Minny would heavily reconsider their current situation if he became available. Really cant see KC not tagging him and giving Mahomes AT LEAST one more year...

It's pretty amazing the lack of respect the guy gets all the way around. Yes, this was a bit a career season for him at age 33, however 4000 yards, 5:1 td to int ratio. He's had one year with an int % of 2 or higher since 2011 (and it was a year he was pretty amazing in to start off - 2012). There's no way the Chiefs cut him, so I'm assuming that he is going to go to the highest bidder. Cleveland may be in the running, but Jax needs to be in there for sure. I don't think that he's a great fit for Denver, the jets....meh...I don't love it, but it could work. Arizona could be a very good fit depending on coach. But he's really the perfect quarterback for Marrone. If they do go that route, however, they need to spend what they can to bring in Jimmy Graham...you should always have a very good tight end whenever Smith is your quarterback. I think his play suffers dramatically if you don't. 

Thomas looks like the stud I thought he would. Maybe not the deep speed I envisioned but he was my #1 WR in that class. Playing with Brees helps but man, he looks fluid and effortless out there. And his hands haven't been the issue some ppl thought they would be.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Thomas looks like the stud I thought he would. Maybe not the deep speed I envisioned but he was my #1 WR in that class. Playing with Brees helps but man, he looks fluid and effortless out there. And his hands haven't been the issue some ppl thought they would be.

Funny - I thought he'd be good, but had no idea how good. Sure he has Brees throwing to him, but still his route running, his agility, and especially his hands are just really all right up there.

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And then he goes for it on 4th down wtf? And stupid for Adans for picking it off. Lost about 15 yards of field position. 

I loved the run call because I was happy to have them kick it, likley down to around the 10 or so. Instead he goes for it on 4th from midfield! What the heck.  And then he mireaculously gets a defender to go brain-dead and intercept it instead of knocking it down.

... and they pull of the win anyway.

11 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Anyone think our former coaching staff had no idea of how to use a guy llike that?

Our former coaching staffs didn't know how to run a passing game, period. No one was used to their full potential, it's not just Ginn. He's not the only one. They didn't know how to use Crabtree. They didn't know how to use that no name guy, Randy Moss-something. They didn't even know how to use Jonathan Baldwin AND AJ Jenkins... like, come on!

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bengals "are in negotiations" with Teryl Austin to be their new defensive coordinator.

Austin is currently the Lions defensive coordinator, but with Patriots DC Matt Patricia likely to fill Detroit's head coaching vacancy, the Lions should be willing to let Austin jump ship. Austin is a respected coordinator who has earned head coaching interviews in the past, but the Lions slumped on defense in 2017. He should be able to get back on track coaching a Bengals unit which has plenty of talent.

Archived