Draft Discussion 4.0

NudeTayne

3 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

I've believed it since January. Thought Dorsey and his guys that eat footballs for breakfast would mess it up and fall for the "toolsy" Josh Allen.
I think Scot McCloughan and Andrew Healy deserve a ton of credit if this happens.

Well, it's never been a secret that Dorsey liked Mayfield. He said so openly quite awhile ago. I just wasn't sure if he liked him enough to take him #1.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh and @chris00cm, I don’t remember ever chatting with you, but with that avi you and I might just become besties.

And  haha appreciate it. I've long been a Sashi Browns fan. Since my team has decided to punt this draft, I thought I would come along for the ride.

I can give you the image link if you want to sport it too.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Well, it's never been a secret that Dorsey liked Mayfield. He said so openly quite awhile ago. I just wasn't sure if he liked him enough to take him #1.

I'm happy to be wrong. I just dont want this dude wasted on the freaking Jets. 
But believe me, I'll be rioting if Saquan Barkley is wasted at #4. That was my other prediction.

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yep. But I don’t like the height thing either admittedly. But it’s like 80% his offensive scheme which usually doesn’t translate to the nfl. 

Eh, his height doesn't bother me so much. It'd obviously be ideal if he were a bit taller, but that's at the bottom of my concerns for him. It's more that he tore up bad Big 12 defenses and played in an offense that doesn't necessarily translate to pro success. I don't think there's been a Big 12 QB who went on to be successful in the pros in years. Bradford has probably been the best, but that's not saying much. And the jury is obviously still out on Mahomes, although I do like his chances of turning out to be pretty good. Then again, I think Baker is a better prospect than any other Big 12 QB in many years, although I did love RG3.

5 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yep. But I don’t like the height thing either admittedly. But it’s like 80% his offensive scheme which usually doesn’t translate to the nfl. 

This ^^^^^ it's mostly scheme, but you absolutely have to factor height. Brees and Wilson are outliers, and those were second and third round picks, not #1 overall

Just now, Keylargobrownie said:

This ^^^^^ it's mostly scheme, but you absolutely have to factor height. Brees and Wilson are outliers, and those were second and third round picks, not #1 overall

Statistically speaking, shorter QB's have been more successful in the NFL (which is skewed by those aforementioned QB's for sure). But if there is anything to worry about, it's hand size and weight. Those have been much more critical factors on QB success. Mayfield passes the weight test, but is a little more questionable on the hands.

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

I just hope we stay at 4 if Chubb is there. Don’t screw it up last year and trade out of it when we could have had hooker. 

i mean we got 4 this year, peppers who is good around the line of scrimmage (ARE YOU LISTNIENG GREGG + randall should help) and hooker tore his acl, dont see how passing on hooker really hurt us all that much

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Eh, his height doesn't bother me so much. It'd obviously be ideal if he were a bit taller, but that's at the bottom of my concerns for him. It's more that he tore up bad Big 12 defenses and played in an offense that doesn't necessarily translate to pro success. I don't think there's been a Big 12 QB who went on to be successful in the pros in years. Bradford has probably been the best, but that's not saying much. And the jury is obviously still out on Mahomes, although I do like his chances of turning out to be pretty good. Then again, I think Baker is a better prospect than any other Big 12 QB in many years, although I did love RG3.

Yeah I agree hence the 80%. But as I’ve said before I do see enough in him that I think he can be at least a decent starter. Colt McCoy with a stronger arm. But I think the most accurate comparison is Jeff Garcia. 

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

i mean we got 4 this year, peppers who is good around the line of scrimmage (ARE YOU LISTNIENG GREGG + randall should help) and hooker tore his acl, dont see how passing on hooker really hurt us all that much

You can’t predict injuries from one team to another. Hooker is much better than peppers. Peppers is an undersized LB. safeties who can’t cover are being obsolete. They screwed that one up. 

3 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

What do you prefer about Darnold? Just curious.

My eyes I guess.  I just like his game and think he checks a lot of the boxes for the position.  

I think the 2 year age difference is significant.  I like his size/frame.  I like his mobility.  I like that he has ZERO character concerns. His game tape is pretty damned good, especially when he has time to throw. 

I acknowledge that Mayfield is probably better right now, but that’s where age and experience play a factor.  You’re comparing a 20 yo rSO to a 22 yo rSR.  Mayfield should be ahead of Darnold in his development right now.  

I just don’t know if he’s going to be as good as Darnold when they’re both late 20’s, and that’s what’s more important to me.

Archived