***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

Saw the movie last night.

Loved it. Want to see it again. It was a perfect balance of return moments, heartbreaking moments, action, comedy, and drama. I don't know how Marvel manages to pull it off consistently, but it was just so well put together. The time flew by as well, which was great for a movie like that. I kept on expecting a twist or something to happen and all of a sudden it ended and it didn't feel like the movie had been that long.

And one other thing about the movie. Thanos, as a super powerful being, had reasons for doing what they were doing. He was a fascinating villain as compared to DC where all of their god-like villains who tend to just be evil, Thanos had a thought out reason for doing what he was doing, and he knew that he was the villain in this piece but fully believed that he had to do what he was doing for the betterment of the universe. He was okay being the villain in order to save people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Awesome link lol.  Well, at least until I clicked it...this isn’t good for me.  

But guys....it was the only way.  

I made it. I'll avenge you.

(Get it? Get it! AVENGE you! Bahhaha!)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Saw the movie last night.

Loved it. Want to see it again. It was a perfect balance of return moments, heartbreaking moments, action, comedy, and drama. I don't know how Marvel manages to pull it off consistently, but it was just so well put together. The time flew by as well, which was great for a movie like that. I kept on expecting a twist or something to happen and all of a sudden it ended and it didn't feel like the movie had been that long.

And one other thing about the movie. Thanos, as a super powerful being, had reasons for doing what they were doing. He was a fascinating villain as compared to DC where all of their god-like villains who tend to just be evil, Thanos had a thought out reason for doing what he was doing, and he knew that he was the villain in this piece but fully believed that he had to do what he was doing for the betterment of the universe. He was okay being the villain in order to save people.

They did a tremendous job establishing Thanos' motivations.  I fully believed he thought he was doing the right thing for those that were left behind.  To make it paradise for half the people instead of life he thought couldn't be sustained for everyone.  That combined with utter ruthlessness and will power make him the best villain in the MCU.  Even over Loki, albeit by the end Loki ended up more of an anti-hero than a true villain.

• Like 3

Yeah, Loki definitely ends up being a bit of an anti-hero. It's hard to keep someone a true villain when they are snarky. It fits into Norse mythology as Loki is an anti-hero there as well. Thanos definitely is the best true villain and that's with MCU turning out some good villains before like Killmonger. Thanos truly blows all of them away in terms of the brutality and humanity combined in such an amazing way.

One thing I loved, beyond what I've mentioned, is how Thanos plays by a certain set of rules. Doctor Strange clearly is exploiting that with their plan on Titan. While everyone else doesn't know it, he knows how Peter will react, that they won't get the gauntlet, but he needed to work it to save Tony from being killed for some reason. Also with that, he knows that if Thanos promises to keep Stark alive, he will when he destroys half the population of the universe. For what end, who knows, but it was a really well placed tidbit that told a lot about Thanos in that moment.

24 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, Loki definitely ends up being a bit of an anti-hero. It's hard to keep someone a true villain when they are snarky. It fits into Norse mythology as Loki is an anti-hero there as well. Thanos definitely is the best true villain and that's with MCU turning out some good villains before like Killmonger. Thanos truly blows all of them away in terms of the brutality and humanity combined in such an amazing way.

One thing I loved, beyond what I've mentioned, is how Thanos plays by a certain set of rules. Doctor Strange clearly is exploiting that with their plan on Titan. While everyone else doesn't know it, he knows how Peter will react, that they won't get the gauntlet, but he needed to work it to save Tony from being killed for some reason. Also with that, he knows that if Thanos promises to keep Stark alive, he will when he destroys half the population of the universe. For what end, who knows, but it was a really well placed tidbit that told a lot about Thanos in that moment.

And don't forget that Thanos spared the Dwarf king - because he gave his word.  And that left the door open to make Stormbreaker.   Thanos is predictable, albeit in a pseudo-insane way.  Strange & the Avengers should be able to leverage this in A4.

28 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And don't forget that Thanos spared the Dwarf king - because he gave his word.  And that left the door open to make Stormbreaker.   Thanos is predictable, albeit in a pseudo-insane way.  Strange & the Avengers should be able to leverage this in A4.

If I remember correctly Eitri thought he was going to spare the dwarves if he made Thanos whatever he wanted, which he did. Thanos then killed them all anyway. Except Eitri.

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

If I remember correctly Eitri thought he was going to spare the dwarves if he made Thanos whatever he wanted, which he did. Thanos then killed them all anyway. Except Eitri.

He said he thought Thanos would spare everyone but he never explicitly stated that Thanos actually promised to do so or anything.

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Thanos didn't say he was going to spare the dwarves - Etiri said he thought Thanos would.   That's likely where Etiri made his mistake.   Likely that once Thanos makes an explicit statement, he feels held to that.  But like most people if it's not said, it's left to Thanos' interpretation.    But Thanos couldn't kill off Etiri, either, given the notion of balance had to be respected.  No doubt Thanos probably spared everyone but those killed in battle the next time to preserve that balance principle, too.    

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Thanos didn't say he was going to spare the dwarves - Etiri thought he would.   That's likely where Etiri made his mistake.   But Thanos couldn't kill off Etiri, either, given the notion of balance had to be respected.  No doubt Thanos probably spared everyone but those killed in battle the next time to preserve that balance principle, too.

He should have spared half the dwarves.