Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

• 3 weeks later...

Nine games, 279 offensive snaps, 13 catches, and 206 yards. That’s the stat line for wide receiver Sammy Watkins as a member of the Green Bay Packers in 2022, a less-than-stellar output for the veteran receiver who was looking to restart his career.

That’s how Watkins’ career with the Packers will end, as well. On Monday morning, NFL.com’s Tom Pelissero reported that the Packers are releasing Watkins, who will be subject to the waiver system.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022/12/19/23517094/packers-will-release-wr-sammy-watkins-per-report?fbclid=IwAR1t__lLNRR4749m2tHJ4ziSo5-7Vay_-c6Ykwa3XNTtyzkGqG3sm9WIo0E

brutal management decisions this year.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Last week, Detroit was ahead of us in the power rankings and now this

Power rankings are irrelevant, but in all fairness to that 4 pt favorite, the spread is currently 14-1 in getting Viking games correct with favoring Buffalo being the one game its gotten wrong.  

• Like 3

I think I made a big deal about the Packers’ addition of Rich Bisaccia as special-teams coordinator before the season. They paid him a reported $2-million-a-year, the highest salary ever paid to a special-teams coach, in the wake of their poor play in the kicking game last year, including the blocked punt returned for a touchdown in the narrow playoff loss to San Francisco. So let’s see Bisaccia’s impact though 15 weeks compared to last year’s group through the full season.

• Kick returns. Much improved, from 30th last year (17.7 per return) to 10th this year, six yards per return better.
  • Punt returns. One yard better this year, from 8.0 to 9.0 yards per return.
  • Opponents’ kick returns. Two yards worse this year, at 23.5 yards per runback.
  • Opponents’ punt returns. Slightly worse: 9.5 yards per return last year, 10.0 this year.
  • Net punt: 0 yards last year, 39.6 this year. Not great, but there is a plus: Pat O’Donnell has just one touchback, versus 23 placed inside the 20-yard line. The Pack, however, did not have a punt blocked in the regular season last year, and O’Donnell had one blocked this year. Deflected actually, against Baltimore. And he has faced consistent pressure to avoid others.

Conclusion: Where’s the great impact of Rich Bisaccia? Overall, the Pack is slightly better in the kicking game this year, but it hasn’t been the overhaul the franchise had hoped for.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/26/steelers-dak-prescott-peter-king-fmia-week-16/

@Outpost31

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I think I made a big deal about the Packers’ addition of Rich Bisaccia as special-teams coordinator before the season. They paid him a reported $2-million-a-year, the highest salary ever paid to a special-teams coach, in the wake of their poor play in the kicking game last year, including the blocked punt returned for a touchdown in the narrow playoff loss to San Francisco. So let’s see Bisaccia’s impact though 15 weeks compared to last year’s group through the full season.

• Kick returns. Much improved, from 30th last year (17.7 per return) to 10th this year, six yards per return better.
  • Punt returns. One yard better this year, from 8.0 to 9.0 yards per return.
  • Opponents’ kick returns. Two yards worse this year, at 23.5 yards per runback.
  • Opponents’ punt returns. Slightly worse: 9.5 yards per return last year, 10.0 this year.
  • Net punt: 0 yards last year, 39.6 this year. Not great, but there is a plus: Pat O’Donnell has just one touchback, versus 23 placed inside the 20-yard line. The Pack, however, did not have a punt blocked in the regular season last year, and O’Donnell had one blocked this year. Deflected actually, against Baltimore. And he has faced consistent pressure to avoid others.

Conclusion: Where’s the great impact of Rich Bisaccia? Overall, the Pack is slightly better in the kicking game this year, but it hasn’t been the overhaul the franchise had hoped for.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/26/steelers-dak-prescott-peter-king-fmia-week-16/

@Outpost31

It’s better. What’s not addressed in there is the lower boneheaded plays.

It’s not significantly better, but it is better. It won’t ever get actually good because of certain Green Bay philosophies, but it’s improved outside of the tangible bulk stat things.

I think one of the reasons why Packers are favored by 3 points is also due to possibility of Eagles clinching No1 seed if they win vs Saints. Vikes play GB in the late afternoon slot...so they will know the result of the Eagles-Saints match before they play. Luke Braun mentioned that Vikings already rotated defense lot more than usual against Giants, giving more snaps to the backup guys. If Eagles win, I expect even more rotation on defense this week

36 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

I think one of the reasons why Packers are favored by 3 points is also due to possibility of Eagles clinching No1 seed if they win vs Saints. Vikes play GB in the late afternoon slot...so they will know the result of the Eagles-Saints match before they play. Luke Braun mentioned that Vikings already rotated defense lot more than usual against Giants, giving more snaps to the backup guys. If Eagles win, I expect even more rotation on defense this week

I don't think we should be resting significant players too much. The Eagles game shouldn't have much of an impact on how much we rotate or play our starters, as we still haven't clinched the 2 seed. We will likely need to win the last two games in order to keep the 2 seed, so therefore we shouldn't be resting anyone. Need to make sure we win these last two games, UNLESS our playoff seed is set going into week 18.