All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

^^ Couple of things on that that I've heard as well: 

New Japan strongly does not want to lose Jericho/Kenny/Bucks so the thought is that they'll come around to working with them, but Jericho on Busted Open said there's a couple of strong TV deals on the table and he wouldn't have made this move if there wasn''t. I think his exact words were along the lines of "when it's announced, you'll say, yup, that's the kind of deal you need" so I'm optimistic it's something big if it could make Jericho talk like this but we do know Jericho is a salesman so we'll see. 

A couple of early Mania match predictions, possibly some spoilers of what I'm expecting to come out of the Royal Rumble event:

- I've got a strong feeling in my gut we're getting Cena breaking Flair's record at this Mania.  There's a lot of low-key things that have been markers: It's a milestone Wrestlemania (35) in New York (Vince's epicenter of all things wrestling) in the stadium that's become his new "Garden;" Bryan is a heel and has been working the kind of heel program that makes fans who suddenly jump to his side "because he's working Cena" look like hypocrites (somehow, I do feel like this factors into Vince's line of thinking).  John's getting up there and around less and less; the bald spot is showing and if you're going to have Cena break the record, you have to have him carry the belt until SummerSlam at least - but this also gives them a marquee mainstream guy carrying the belt and eventually putting over whoever they determine to be the face of the Smackdown brand going into 2020 and the switch to FOX (I know how I'd book it, I'm pretty confident Vince won't do it that way though).

- Where Becky/Asuka is on the card for Rumble will determine who/what matchup we get at Mania.  By that I mean, if it's early on the card, Becky's definitely in the Women's Rumble and it's possible she pulls a Shawn/Flair and goes bell-to-bell, but (with an understanding of "Vince booking") this only works if she loses to Asuka.  If she regains the Smackdown title, we're probably getting Charlotte/Ronda at Mania or a Triple Threat with the two of them and Becky.  Smart booking says you have Becky go over Asuka at Rumble, enter at #29 (with us knowing who the 30's are in these Rumbles, one of the #29's is going to be a surprise), and have Charlotte screw her over to win, and then have Becky pull double-duty at Mania (Smackdown Championship defense and finagling her way into a Triple Threat with Charlotte and Ronda; they likely won't do just 1 women's title match for both the belts even with doing a Women's Tag Tournament final at Mania, even though they should... because you'll have a mini-The-Decision opportunity for RAW (not the RAW after Mania but the one after that one - you let the Commissioners pitch and woo the women's winner to choose to stick it out on 'their' brand; then you have the dropped title up for grabs in a women's Elimination Chamber).

Was having a discussion with a friend about Shawn Michael's and how after coming back in 2002 and winning the heavyweight belt till his retirement in 11. Besides two runs as tag champ, and that 1 heavyweight win how come he didnt win any more belts? Not even a run with the US or Intercontinental belt.

13 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Was having a discussion with a friend about Shawn Michael's and how after coming back in 2002 and winning the heavyweight belt till his retirement in 11. Besides two runs as tag champ, and that 1 heavyweight win how come he didnt win any more belts? Not even a run with the US or Intercontinental belt.

He would only fly in for Raw on Monday, and fly home after. If he wanted it, Im sure they would have given it to him. But being part time, dont think he wanted it when others were working 300 days a year.

10 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Hopefully Balor comes out as the demon

I hope he doesn't because even if Vince right now  might have him beating Brock (doubt it), Vince will definitely have changed his mind by Sunday and keep the Demon going longer until someone actually worth beats the demon.

Id rather Finn in the Rumble to help provide action. Brocks opponents outside of Braun and Roman. AJ, DB and now Finn.  RR is a major PPV. Id have paired him with some size like Lashley or Drew. Let Finn enter the picture after Brocks lost the title.

20 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

He would only fly in for Raw on Monday, and fly home after. If he wanted it, Im sure they would have given it to him. But being part time, dont think he wanted it when others were working 300 days a year.

Also likely had to do with the fact that once he because the guy in the post-Bret/pre-Austin era (despite how incredibly hard Vince tried to push for Diesel to be the one who was ultimately the guy), Vince (and Shawn to a lesser degree) saw those second-tier titles as beneath Shawn.  It's why, for instance, we never saw Taker as a US or IC champion - it was World Title or Tag Titles.

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

Having said that, it's good to see Balor get a title match, even though I can't imagine him winning the match.

The only way I can see him winning is if he comes out in full Demon makeup... and even then I could see Vince sacrificing the protection that the Demon character has been given to the alter of Brock.

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Id rather Finn in the Rumble to help provide action. Brocks opponents outside of Braun and Roman. AJ, DB and now Finn.  RR is a major PPV. Id have paired him with some size like Lashley or Drew. Let Finn enter the picture after Brocks lost the title.

Brock vs Lashley would get booed out of the building.  It'd be over/under 2 minutes before a "This is boring" chant started and multiple beachballs were going around the crowd.

Drew vs Brock would have legs, but Vince isn't going to book heel vs heel (I question whether he really knows how to book it); and they've spent the past two years telling (which is kind of an art imitating life because those criticisms of Brock had been there since he came back) people that they should hate Brock because he doesn't show up every week or even every-other week.

Archived