1[1] Cleveland Browns: QB Sam Darnold [USC]
1[2] NY Giants: RB Saquan Barkley [Penn State]
1[3] NY Jets [Ind]: QB Baker Mayfield [OU]
1[4] Cleveland Browns [Hou]: DE Bradley Chubb [NC State]
1[5] Buffalo Bills [Den]: QB Josh Rosen [UCLA]
1[6] Indianapolis Colts: LB Roquan Smith [Georgia]
1[7] Arizona Cardinals [TB]: QB Josh Allen [Wyoming]

1[8] OG Quenton Nelson [Notre Dame] 6'5" 325lbs, 34" arms, 35 reps, 26.5" vert`

I would pick defense, focusing on Roquan Smith who has been picked, but I think the Bears will pick Nelson is the pick if he is going to be there. Ryan Pace has made huge investments on offense at QB and HC and Nelson will add to the chances of success for both of those people. Nelson is the best player in the draft and LG is the biggest weakness of the team right now as in my opinion Aaron Lynch is better than anyone the Bears have at LG. I think with the investment in the offense the Bears are going to try and "finish" off the offense and take a big step this season. The hype for Nelson is justified, he is an incredible player and simply dominates everyone he faces. The trickle down effect of having Nelson, Whitehair, Long on the interior will only make Trubisky better, Howard and Cohen better, and the passing game easier to execute.

quentonnelson.jpg?fit=960%2C540&ssl=1

1[9] San Francisco 49ers: CB Denzel Ward [Ohio St]
1[10] Oakland Raiders: LB Trumaine Edmunds [Virginia Tech]
1[11] Miami Dolphins: S Derwin James [Florida St]
1[12] Denver Broncos [Buf]: CB Minkah Fitzpatrick [Alabama]
1[13] Washington Redskins: DT Vita Vea [Washington] 
1[14] Green Bay Packers: OLB Harold Landry [Boston College]
1[15] Tampa Bay Buccaneers [AZ]: DE Marcus Davenport [UTSA] 
1[16] Baltimore Ravens: WR Calvin Ridley [Alabama]
1[17] San Diego Chargers: LB Leighton Vander Esch [Boise St]
1[18] Seattle Seahawks: OT Mike McGlinchey [Notre Dame]
1[19] Dallas Cowboys: DT Taven Bryan [Florida]
1[20] Detroit Lions: DT Daron Payne [Alabama]
1[21] Cincinnati Bengals [Buf]: C Frank Ragnow [Arkansas]
1[22] Denver Broncos [Buf]: OG Will Hernandez [UTEP]
1[23] New England Patriots [LAR]: TE Dallas Goedert [South Dakota St]
1[24] Carolina Panthers: WR D.J Moore [Maryland]
1[25] Tennessee Titans: LB Rashaan Evans [Alabama]
1[26] Atlanta Falcons: OG Isaiah Wynn [Georgia]
1[27] New Orleans Saints: QB Lamar Jackson [Louisville]
1[28] Pittsburgh Steelers: CB Isaiah Oliver [Colorado]
1[29] Jacksonville Jaguars: WR Courtland Sutton [SMU]
1[30] Minnesota Vikings: OG Billy Price [Ohio St]
1[31] New England Patriots: OT Kolton Miller [UCLA]
1[32] Miami Dolphins [Phi]: QB Mason Rudolph [OK St]

Round 2

2[33] Cleveland Browns: OT Conner Williams [Texas]
2[34] NY Giants: C James Daniels [Iowa]
2[35] Cleveland Browns [Hou]: DT Mo Hurst [Michigan]
2[36] Indianapolis Colts: WR Christian Kirk [Texas A&M]
2[37] Indianapolis Colts [NYJ]: OL Austin Corbett [Nevada]
2[38] Tampa Bay Buccaneers: CB Jaire Alexander [Louisville]

2[39] OLB Lorenzo Carter [Georgia] 6'6" 250lbs, 34" arms, 4.5 [40], 36" vert, 10'10" broad

If you need an OLB in the 2nd round I do not think you can trade down. I do not think the position has the depth that is required to trade down and still be able to land a similar player to pick 39. The Bears need an edge rusher, with pass rush potential, and they have shown that they like athletic upside. Carter is raw, has not consistently produced as a pass rusher, but he has incredible physical tools and can be developed on a similar path to Leonard Floyd. The Bears have a starter in Aaron Lynch and they can use Carter as a situational player while he develops some consistent moves and counter moves.

LorenzoCarter.jpg?fit=700%2C410&ssl=1

2[40] Denver Broncos: RB Sony Michel [Georgia]
2[41] Oakland Raiders: OT Tyrell Crosby [Oregon]
2[42] Philadelphia Eagles: CB Mike Hughes [UCF]
2[43] New England Patriots [SF]: S Justin Reid [Stanford]
2[44] Washington Redskins: CB Donte Jackson [LSU]
2[45] Green Bay Packers: CB Calton Davis [Auburn]
2[46] Cincinnati Bengals: DT Tim Settle [Virginia Tech]
2[47] Tampa Bay Buccanneers [AZ]: RB Derrius Guice [LSU]
2[48] San Diego Chargers: DT Nathan Sheppard [Fort Hays St]
2[49] Indianapolis Colts [NYJ]: DE Sam Hubbard [Ohio St]
2[50] Dallas Cowboys: LB Mailk Jefferson [Texas]
2[51] Detroit Lions: DE Josh Sweat [Florida St]
2[52] Baltimore Ravens: TE Hayden Hurst [South Carolina]
2[53] Buffalo Bills: OG Braden Smith [Auburn]
2[54] Kansas City Chiefs: CB Quenton Meeks [Stanford]
2[55] Carolina Panthers: S Ronnie Harrison [Alabama]
2[56] Buffalo Bills [LAR]: WR D.J Chark [LSU]
2[57] Tennessee Titans: RB Ronald Jones [USC]
2[58] Atlanta Falcons: TE Mike Gileski [Penn St]
2[59] San Francisco 49ers [NO]: WR Anthony Miller [Memphis]
2[60] Minnesota Vikings: RB Nick Chubb [Georgia]
2[61] Jacksonville Jaguars: TE Mark Andrews [OU]
2[62] Pittsburgh Steelers: OLB Uchenna Nwosu [USC]
2[63] New England Patriots: QB Kyle Lauletta [Richmond]
2[64] Cleveland Browns [Phi]: WR Michael Gallup [Colorado St]

4[105] WR DeSean Hamilton [Penn St] 6'1" 205lbs, 34.5 " vert, 9'10" broad, 6.84 3 cone

The Bears need a WR that can reasonably be looked at to contribute on offense this season and they need someone who can meet the route running demands of the slot position in this offense. Hamilton does not have elite physical traits. He does not have elite hands, he does not have elite athletic ability, but he is one of the better route runners in the class and should be able to contribute as a rookie. I view Hamilton as filling the Albert Wilson role and running a number of diverse routes from the slot and using his RB build to create after the catch and in the screen game. Hamilton gives the Bears someone who can step in if their is an injury to Robinson or Gabriel with upside.

daesean-hamilton-2018-ee28f1789fc397f3.j

4[115] ILB Micah Kizer [Virginia] 6'2" 240lbs, 4.66 [40], 35.5" vert, 10'1" broad, 7.05 3 cone

The Bears are razor thin in terms of depth at ILB and they could use someone who can come in and play the run, which would allow them to use different personnel in nickel. Kizer is a big, athletic LB that can come in and immediately play the run at the NFL level. As an added bonus Kizer is a pretty accomplished pass rusher and blitzer, Kizer has 19 career sacks. The knock on Kizer is that he struggles in coverage, but the Bears can use him in a similar role to Christian Jones and let Kwiarowski play in coverage.

64861534.jpg

5[145] OLB Leon Jacobs [Wisconsin] 6'3" 246lbs, 33.5" arms, 4.48 [40], 26 reps, 34" vert, 10'2" broad, 7.14 3 cone

This is a freak athlete who looks the part and has incredible physical tools, but has never really put it together. Pace has shown that he likes to double dip at positions of need and this gives the Bears 2 young pass rushers that they can develop and hopefully lean on. At a minimum this should be a core special teamer and a tank running down covering kicks. If Fangio can teach him a consistent move he could be a situational speed rusher earlier than people think.

0804_sports_LeonJacobs.jpg

6[181]DE Bilal Nichols [Delaware] 6'4" 306lbs, 33 1/4" arms, 4.95 [40], 29 reps

The Bears do not have a lot of depth on the DL and they need some young, athletic guys to come in and develop and provide some depth and maybe a few reps a game this season. Nichols comes from a smaller school, but he has the height, length, and build that the Bears seems to favor. He also is an intriguing athlete with a 4.95 [40] at over 300lbs and flashed serious power with 29 reps. Nichols needs a lot of coaching and he will get that in Chicago as he works into the rotation. The Bears cannot continue to play Hicks and Goldman so many reps in a game.

Bilal-Nichols-NFL.jpg?resize=678%2C381

7[224] WR Jordan Trinnamen [BYU] 6' 190lbs, 4.3 [40], 40" vert, 12' broad

The Bears need some offensive depth with scheme specific skill sets. Trinnamen has the speed and explosive athletic ability to play the zebra position and can backup Gabriel without the Bears losing the speed dynamic to the offense. The Bears need to continue to sprinkle speed into the WR core as it was a staple in KC and the Bears only really have 1 player that can threaten defenses deep. The Bears were represented at Trinnamen's proday and hosted him for a private visit.

11784.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Daniel, Bray
RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, FA
WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Hamilton, Fowler, White, Trinnamen
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Sims
LT: Leno, Sowell
LG: Nelson, Morgan
C: Whitehair, Kush
RG: Long
RT: Massie, Watford

RE: Bullard, RRH
NT: Goldman, Jones
LE: Hicks, Nichols
OLB: Floyd, Acho
ILB: Trevathan, Timu
ILB: Kwitowski, Kizer
OLB: Lynch, Carter, Jacobs
CB: Fuller, Prince, Cooper, Callahan, Leblanc, McManis
FS: Jackson, Hall
SS: Amos, Bush/FA

10 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I dont think Hamilton lasts that late. For whatever reason like EVERYBODY thinks he will be a steal but EVERYBODY knows about him and he had a good combine. No way he goes in the 4th

Aside from Ridley, he might be the best route runner in the draft. I agree; I highly doubt he's there in the 4th.

I still say that if they go Nelson in the first, they do a WR in the second. The drop-off in pass rushing talent is just too drastic. Even the guy in the mock here--Carter--isn't that much better than a 4th round project. 

I'd be more comfortable with a defender in the first and then the OG in the second given you are adding two WR to the offensive side. We have depth problems at LB and Dline. I'm worried that one will almost certainly not be improved by delaying the picks. By going pass rusher in the first and then swapping out one of the later round LB picks with either a higher DT or even another Dlineman I'd feel we'd have a very good chance to improve the depth of both positions as well as have the 2 new WR and OG. Trubisky brings mobility to the position and this can help have a decent to good Oline play like a very good one---provided he lives long enough to develop his NFL legs so to speak. Therefore, it's not a bad thing to trade seriously upgrading his protection this draft at the expense of making it a long shot to improve the depth to say nothing of the starting lineup of our LB and Dline positions.

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think the defense matters that much. This season is not about anything other than Trubisky taking a step.

If he struggles, but the defense dominates, does anyone feel better about where we are at?

The premise of the question confuses me, a bit. Are you advocating the Nelson/WR one-two punch I hypothesized? Because, otherwise I'm not sure there's a huge difference in Trubisky's development if they go Nelson in the first as opposed to, say, Price in the second... 

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think the defense matters that much. This season is not about anything other than Trubisky taking a step.

If he struggles, but the defense dominates, does anyone feel better about where we are at?

Winning teams upgrade both sides of the ball. Philly took Wentz and found the time to draft a pass rusher and a CB in the first two rounds of the last draft.

Trubisky is very important but the Bears upgraded the offense all ready in Free agency and drafted all offense last year.

The defense wont dominate this year because they lack impact players at LB and DB and now lost all their depth.

53 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Are you kidding? It's the strength of this team!

If we can build a young, talented nucleus to keep us in games while MT10 and friends learn the nuances of this offense (again, year 3 is when QBs take off in this scheme) then we are ahead of the game. If we leave talented ILBs/OLBs/CBs on the board to draft OGs high, we're doing it wrong.

51 minutes ago, G08 said:

Are you kidding? It's the strength of this team!

If we can build a young, talented nucleus to keep us in games while MT10 and friends learn the nuances of this offense (again, year 3 is when QBs take off in this scheme) then we are ahead of the game. If we leave talented ILBs/OLBs/CBs on the board to draft OGs high, we're doing it wrong.

Well...he hasn't had the time to respond, but--playing Devil's Advocate (so to speak), someone could make a compelling argument that Pace should go heavily offensive this draft, for Trubisky's benefit, and considering the defense is already in pretty good shape. I certainly wouldn't do that (and would probably NEVER be for taking a guard at #8), but I can understand the reasoning. 

The idea that you’re seemingly comfortable considering Aaron Lynch as acceptable to be a starting Edge right now after the **** show he’s been the past 2 seasons is a bit disconcerting. I’d personally rather go into the season hoping Earl Watford or Eric Kush can hold down LG while Hiestand works to mold Jordan Morgan into Jahri Evans, and I’m not really comfortable with the idea of that at all. 

That aside, if we INSIST on picking Nelson at 8 I suppose I’d be ok with how the rest of this unfolds though I agree with those thinking Hamilton is probably gone by the 4th. I like him as a fit for Nagy quite a bit if he’s there. Trinnamen to me is a UDFA but in the 7th you’re drafting on traits unless you’re selecting a K/P, and Trinnamen certainly has a ton of athletic upside. 

Want to also chime in here Windy (and to everyone else) that as we’ve been going at it over Nelson for months it would be a failure on my part if I didn’t recognize the extent to which I thoroughly enjoy the back & forth and lively yet non-hostile debates. Also, I can’t wait until Monday when we get your first 2019 mock so that you and I can find a new horse to kill and continue to beat. ?‍♂️?

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The idea that you’re seemingly comfortable considering Aaron Lynch as acceptable to be a starting Edge right now after the **** show he’s been the past 2 seasons is a bit disconcerting. I’d personally rather go into the season hoping Earl Watford or Eric Kush can hold down LG while Hiestand works to mold Jordan Morgan into Jahri Evans, and I’m not really comfortable with the idea of that at all. 

That aside, if we INSIST on picking Nelson at 8 I suppose I’d be ok with how the rest of this unfolds though I agree with those thinking Hamilton is probably gone by the 4th. I like him as a fit for Nagy quite a bit if he’s there. Trinnamen to me is a UDFA but in the 7th you’re drafting on traits unless you’re selecting a K/P, and Trinnamen certainly has a ton of athletic upside.

I also disagree about Lynch being better than anyone we have at LG. 2014 and 2015 Lynch would be someone I could definitely see that being said about, but by that scope McPhee would be a top defender on our team. A lot has changed over the last 2 years. I'm far more comfortable with Kush or Watford starting than Lynch, who is someone that to me is a prayer-filled attempt to get a passrusher.That being said, even with him being raw I think Carter would beat him out rather handily.

I'm already envisioning giant "Trinnamen Toast Crunch" boxes in the crowd opposite of the cheeseheads.

Archived