2018 NFL Draft - Now Underway!

y2lamanaki

18 minutes ago, N4L said:

Not particularly. I think all of us feel confident that we have the best QB of the bunch. 

Praise be to Jimmy Gesus 

Not at all. I feel confident that Jimmy G should be pretty good, but I feel that way about Goff and I know that about Wilson. He's got a long way to go before I would consider him the best of that bunch. 

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh yeah, the division is stacked with QBs. The Cardinals already have a really good defense, have arguably the best RB in the game and decent OL. Not an easy out at all. 

And then elsewhere, the Bears just continue getting better and better. I keep saying it, but this team is going to be a problem. Vikings or Packers may win the division with 10 wins. 

I mean Rosen though is no sure fire to be successful though right?

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I doubt Garnett has anywhere near that kind of value. You're probably looking at a 5th rounder at best. Unfortunately, there are two immediate precedents for Garnett - Laken Tomlinson and Cam Erving. Both were late first round pick interior linemen, both had 2 years left on their rookie deals, both had struggled. Erving got the Browns a fifth rounder this year, Tomlinson also got a 5th rounder but for next year. 

I can tell from many of your posts on Garnett that you have completely written him off. I'm not nearly there yet. I hated that pick and I know he didn't have a good rookie seasoin. But guys do develop.  He's obviously worked his butt of to reshape his body to fit a more mobile style. I'd rather take the chance that he has developed into something decent then give him away for nothing.  Also, I think your comps don't work for me. Both of those guys were healthy and played for 3 seasons. I think both have played in over 40 games. That's plenty of time to confirm they aren't likely to develop too much more. Garnett only played one season and didn't even start every one of those games. I think the jury is still out on him.

10 hours ago, John232 said:

It depends for me. If it's just 2+3 for top of 2, i'm a little bit weary of it. But given that Landry, Carter, Nwosu and Sweat may all be gone by our pick in the second, I would appreciate the urgency to address that position of need. BUT like you, I really want to see Brown used in any move up, or Armstead for that matter too. Hell, throw in Ward in there as well. 

The gap in talent between near top of first and near bottom of first is huge. It's much smaller in the second. So I think there will be plenty of good options available at 59.  Our thirds are really high thirds not far from the bottom of the second.  I'd really like us to bring in 3 guys rather than 2 even if one of those two is near the top of the 2nd.

In the second round today at our pick, I'm looking at Carlton Davis, Dante Jackson, Austin Corbett, Anthony Miller, and Lorenzo Carter. Other guys I like that could but probably won't fall to us: Harold Landry, Isiah Oliver, Mike Geiski, Cortland Sutton, and James Daniels. 

My day two picks, if we stayed at our original picks would be:

2: Carlton Davis CB

3a: Austin Corbett OG

3b: Michael Gallup WR 

5 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

I mean Rosen though is no sure fire to be successful though right?

Definitely not, but one of the reasons I didn't want him there is one, of course, he's good. But two, I don't think that there's a better fit for him team wise. 

Rosen's arm is good, but not great, His short and intermediate accuracy is fantastic. That's going to mesh really well with what Arizona does underneath to DJ and Fitz in the slot. He's the perfect WCO quarterback, and I think that team is going to run a similar scheme with some heavy play action. Also,  the location is perfect for him. Arizona? No foul weather to speak of. I like that a lot more for his talents than I would have Cleveland, New York or Buffalo. 

14 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Who would be targeting there that would not last another 10 picks or so that's worth giving up an extra pick for.

Also just looked up what our low 4th is worth in a trade up. The answer is just a few spots. So any trade up o fmore than a few spots would take one of our thirds or a future pick.

5 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I can tell from many of your posts on Garnett that you have completely written him off. I'm not nearly there yet. I hated that pick and I know he didn't have a good rookie seasoin. But guys do develop.  He's obviously worked his butt of to reshape his body to fit a more mobile style. I'd rather take the chance that he has developed into something decent then give him away for nothing.  Also, I think your comps don't work for me. Both of those guys were healthy and played for 3 seasons. I think both have played in over 40 games. That's plenty of time to confirm they aren't likely to develop too much more. Garnett only played one season and didn't even start every one of those games. I think the jury is still out on him.

It's draft bias and particularly, confirmation bias.  I admitted that in another thread - I'm harder on guys I wasn't a fan of as a prospect. I wanted Travis Kelce the year we drafted Vance,  didn't like Vance all that much, and if most people remember, I pretty much wrote Vance off in his second year and advocated for Celek at that point. Same with Garnett - I really disliked the pick (though specifically the trade up was brutal), so when he comes in and sucks like he did his rookie season, I'm pretty much latching on to that as, yep, that's what I thought. But for guys I liked as a prospect, they have a much longer leash - Tank Carradine was a perfect example of that. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely not, but one of the reasons I didn't want him there is one, of course, he's good. But two, I don't think that there's a better fit for him team wise. 

Rosen's arm is good, but not great, His short and intermediate accuracy is fantastic. That's going to mesh really well with what Arizona does underneath to DJ and Fitz in the slot. He's the perfect WCO quarterback, and I think that team is going to run a similar scheme with some heavy play action. Also,  the location is perfect for him. Arizona? No foul weather to speak of. I like that a lot more for his talents than I would have Cleveland, New York or Buffalo. 

Good points. I guess you can never have it easy. If San Fran is going to be as good as we hope they are then they will prevail. 

Archived