1st Round Pick (18th Overall): Jaire Alexander [CB; Louisville]

CWood21

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Also, who was the first one here to spot the talent that a team traded away 2 first round picks for??? Eh eh?

I thought it was the invisible_man ? 

Victory has a hundred fathers, while failure is an orphan

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

First time since the AFL-NFL merger that a team gave away two first round picks to get a pick outside of the top 12. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/04/saints-paid-an-unusually-big-price-to-draft-marcus-davenport/

To the people still in denial on just how great a value we got in that trade. 

Wait, are there people saying we didn't get good value? I'm seriously asking. I guess I don't remember seeing that still

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Wait, are there people saying we didn't get good value? I'm seriously asking. I guess I don't remember seeing that still

Right away there were a lot of people who thought it was a bad move.  Not so much lately though.  Could be some really upset Davenport fans though. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Right away there were a lot of people who thought it was a bad move.  Not so much lately though.  Could be some really upset Davenport fans though. 

Yeah I kind of understood it right away since I was bummed too. When I got on my phone and saw what we got I about fell out of my chair.

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

12 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah I kind of understood it right away since I was bummed too. When I got on my phone and saw what we got I about fell out of my chair.

When I first saw what we got...it didn't include the 2018 first round pick...and boy was I steamed.  Then that popped up and it changed my whole outlook...and day!

Still, I hadn't thought much about Alexander...was thinking more about Landry at the end of the first...but I was sure happy when they traded up and got the corner.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

When I first saw what we got...it didn't include the 2018 first round pick...and boy was I steamed.  Then that popped up and it changed my whole outlook...and day!

Still, I hadn't thought much about Alexander...was thinking more about Landry at the end of the first...but I was sure happy when they traded up and got the corner.

Yep same here. I was literally yelling, I never yell, when we traded back that far. Then I saw it online what we got and I'm like oh hell yeah. Truthfully. I don't like seeing Alexander come up. I wasn't quite the Harrell freak out kids, but it wasn't for off lol. I calmed quickly

36 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think that initial reaction was when people didn’t know we got the Saints 1st next year. There was some confusion on the exact compensation at first. 

2 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I think that initial reaction was when people didn’t know we got the Saints 1st next year. There was some confusion on the exact compensation at first. 

I was pissed solely because I wanted Edmunds (and to a lesser degree Ward) so bad. It was just so deflating to drop so far when we started out with such a high pick. As soon as we traded back up and got a pretty good-looking player in Alexander, I started to feel better. And by the end of the night I was totally at peace with it.

12 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I was absolutely in that boat.  I saw James and Edmunds (and Davenport) on the board and we traded to 27.  I didn't even think of future picks, I thought we probably got like Saints 1, 2 & 3 or something, in a draft where we were picking the highest we had in a long time and also had 12 picks.

I was fine with it when I learned that we also got a 2019 1st (found out pretty quickly, but that first minute or two was not a good feeling), but still a little disappointed that we wouldn't pick until 27.  Then after the trade up, I was happy how things turned out.

19 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

There were still people upset even after that moment.  I was furious until I saw we got their first.  I still had to talk some people down from the ledge after that had been revealed though.  Just look back in this thread and I'm sure you'll see that. 

On 5/4/2018 at 11:18 AM, incognito_man said:

Also, who was the first one here to spot the talent that a team traded away 2 first round picks for??? Eh eh?

I remember @CWood21 scolding me for suggesting Davenport was a first rounder. Tee hee

So you're telling me if he tested miserably at the Combine you wouldn't have changed your opinion on him in the slightest?

On 04/05/2018 at 6:04 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Although they always do, fans shouldn't really have favourites. If a GM thinks a lot of a particular player, he just moves him up his board until he is equally happy with all the picks in that area. in other words, it's less about liking, more about a perceived level of value.

Trouble is, even though we shouldn't have favourites, we always do. I know I do, though it is usually because my 'perceived value' is higher than I am seeing them rated on the various media sites. My absolute favourite guy for months leading up to the 2017 draft was CB Fabian Moreau (went at #81) - a (somewhat absurd) 11 CBs went before him.....go figure. This year I didn't fall in love with any player all that much. I went off guys through the process though (like Arden Key and Orlando Brown).

I liked Paxton Lynch (2016) as well, though he hasn't shone since he was drafted. I was 'on him' after the Ole Miss game - he was rated about a 6th rounder before that - and as I followed what he did, he shot up big boards to the very top (briefly), before sliding back to be taken in round one, at pick 26.

Archived