What is your biggest surprise of round #1?

jleisher

The Giants didn't take a QB. Afraid of ruffling Eli's feathers? And even though Barkley is being touted as the greatest thing since- well,  forever, he's a running back. The QB is the engine of the offense. The RB is complementary, at best. Well, they'll probably be picking in the top ten next year again, so perhaps they'll be more likely to pick Eli's successor. 

On 4/27/2018 at 11:15 AM, pollino14 said:

New England for me. I was so shocked they took a RB in round one. With the way they played their RBs over the years, I woulda never imagined them valuing a RB in round one.

Shocked they didn’t go defense as well, which is an awful group. Losing Butler and still no pass rush , I thought for sure they’d go D.

This isn’t the first time BB has taken a RB in round 1. 

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, Scoremore said:

The way Dorsey handled the draft.  Picks 1 and 4 ends up with Mayfield and Ward?  Really piss poor.  Elliot and Highsmith what the hell you guys?  Darnold #1 OK take the best QB.  Trade down or take Chubb at 4.  They reached on both guys.  Well time will tell and understand they have a boatload of picks this year but it was a horrendous waste. Mayfield at 1 was the biggest shocker I have seen in a long time.  Long long long time.  Especially after the Manziel fiasco.  Odds are stacked against short QB's.  Yes there are exceptions but rare.  Big risk stupid.  Would have taken Darnold, Rosen, or Allen ahead of Mayfield.  Actually wouldn't consider Mayfield as a starter at all.  A good back up maybe.  Sorry the guy just doesn't project to the NFL.  Don't understand how Cleveland can be so piss poor.  Really thought Dorsey would get it right.  

I'm a John Dorsey guy, but man those two picks shocked me. I can let the Mayfield thing go, but to pass on Chubb, who has the most star potential in this draft for a good, not great corner is beyond me. So you kind of stold my thunder already.

I think Penny was the biggest surprise player taken although I couldn't believe the Steelers took Edmunds. The biggest suprise of all was the packers parlaying the 14th pick into a second first round pick next year. That is a big surprise for me especially since the trade wasnt for a QB.

11 hours ago, cooters22 said:

I'm a John Dorsey guy, but man those two picks shocked me. I can let the Mayfield thing go, but to pass on Chubb, who has the most star potential in this draft for a good, not great corner is beyond me. So you kind of stold my thunder already.

I think they messed up too; You have Tyrod Taylor who is a capable starter in the league. I think I would have drafted Barkley 1 and Chubb 4, I would have taken either Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph simply because they have time to develop. IM not real high on Mayfields Ceiling I think he could be one of those players who sort of reached his highest potential in college.

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

A pick now will always be worth more than a pick a year from now.  I think there's very few situation where you'd prefer a pick a year from now, and most GMs probably don't that kind of job security. 

Greater patience equals greater value.  It's tough to wait a year for help, but if you can change a 3rd into a 1st by waiting a year you improve your team more in the long run.  

Especially if the next year turns out to be a deeper pool of talent.

A big shock that hasn't been pointed out was the Raiders, Kolton Miller. That was quite the reach.

It was a huge shock for me that Edmund's was available at 14. The biggest shock was that we didnt take him and traded back!  He was my best case scenario and the Packer brain trust did not see it that way. In the end, they did probably a better job than I would have.

12 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Eh I wouldn't say that. I think Chubb has a fairly high floor but I wouldn't say he has the most star potential. He could definitely prove me wrong but I honestly think Chubb wasn't worth a top 5 pick. Ward on the other hand could turn into a shut down corner which is much more valuable in today's NFL. 

Just a couple of things....Dorsey wasn't the only GM that thought Baker was the best QB of the group so in retrospect, maybe they picked the best guy. I didn't like the Ward pick at all especially with Chubb sitting there. Ward isn't like Alexander, the Packer's pick, he's very fast but also very slight. My thought was BPA at 4 and he wasn't it. They could have gotten a ton of good looking CBs in the second round.

Secondly, I think the Saints really overestimated the capabilities of Davenport. They should have tried to make a bigger splash and traded to get Chubb. What I have read since the draft was that Davenport has a desposition that lacks a killer instinct. Too soft spoken and kind......I think Melin Olsen was somewhat like that, but he was a killer on Sunday afternoons. They better hope Davenport is the same.  

Not really shocked by the Penny pick, he was my RB2 and I like him a lot. I think it was a bad choice by Seattle considering their roster turnover. I didn't think Josh Jackson would get by them at 18 let alone 27. 

Denzel Ward was my #3 player in the draft behind Barkley and Nelson, so I support his pick at 4. I like him better than Chubb, and if you want to make the argument of need, Cleveland has a weak secondary and a strong front 7. 

15 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Derwin James dropping to 17... thought he was going top 10 for sure. And we passed on him! Oh well. 

This was my biggest shock. #4 player on my BB (not that that means anything) but I expected him to go top 14. I was pounding the table for him at 14 and was distraught when we traded down. Chargers had a great pick there

Saints trading a 2019 1st to not take a QB... essentially meaning they are locking into Brees 2 year deal and then if he retires after the 2019 season, they're starting a rookie in 2020 or signing a stop gap. I don't like that. 

On 4/27/2018 at 11:55 AM, jleisher said:

#1.  Packers picking up a extra 1st rd pick in 2019.

#2.  Steelers picking Terrell Edmunds S  Virginia Tech, makes you wonder in Burnett will be a one and done with the Steelers.

#3.  Lions taking Frank Ragnow C Arkansas.

This thread did a very good job of listing all the surprises that I remember. Though I thought Ragnow was one of the most underrated players in this draft, so that move was not a surprise to me. But I think my order of surprises would be.

1) S Terrell Edmunds being selected in the first round... in his interview, I think Terrell was even surprised.

2) Packers finding a trade partner willing to give them a future 1st for a trade down.

3) The Browns draft selection choices

4) A number of the RBs that were taken over RB Derrius Guice (though some things came out after the draft that explained that).

5) Both RB Rashaad Penny being selected in the first, and that another team reported attempted to get the Seahawks to trade him after they selected him (which some reports said the Browns were REALLY in love with him, and they selected a RB high on day 2, so it might of been him).

6)  Both Patriots 1st round picks were offensive players from Georgia

23 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Derwin James dropping to 17... thought he was going top 10 for sure. And we passed on him! Oh well. 

Gotta be the agility drills that scared teams off. Here we are talking about him all process as a FS/SS/slot hybrid and then he goes out at his pro day with favorable timing and puts up agility drills you'd see from a stiff ILB prospect.

Jake Ryan who everyone moans about being a stiff athlete blew him away in agility testing.

That's the only way I see it, because the guy if flat out explosive and the tape is good too.

Archived