Bears Pick Joel Iyiegbuniwe in the 5th

Sugashane

We all know DT59 has injuries in the past, and NK44 has been a little banged up. How many times have we seen JT53 or JA58 play significant snaps and be clearly out of their element. Iggy gives us athletic depth in case of injuries and a solid ST player.

2 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

Not sure what to think about this pick.  LB was/is still a need.  For some reason, I'm thinking Hillenmeyer with this guy, as in HH is his ceiling.  Who knows, he could be a quality player.

That's an interesting take. Hillenmeyer wasn't anything special but by playing along side Briggs and Urlacher we maxed out his ceiling and potential, so who knows, maybe Iggy playing beside Smith and Trevathan could have the same effect. 

All in all though, I'm still not too happy about this pick because I felt there were better prospects available at the time. But that said, I don't know anything about him either though

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

That's an interesting take. Hillenmeyer wasn't anything special but by playing along side Briggs and Urlacher we maxed out his ceiling and potential, so who knows, maybe Iggy playing beside Smith and Trevathan could have the same effect. 

All in all though, I'm still not too happy about this pick because I felt there were better prospects available at the time. But that said, I don't know anything about him either though

Im not going to pretend to know anything about him.  But the people that do know things said he had a 2nd to 3rd round grade.  I think its unfair for us to say there are better prospects available when we literally dont know anything about him.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Im not going to pretend to know anything about him.  But the people that do know things said he had a 2nd to 3rd round grade.  I think its unfair for us to say there are better prospects available when we literally dont know anything about him.

The problem isn’t so much the player although that’s where the blame is directed. The anger is directed at Pace likely because everyone is so enamored with PASS RUSH HELP!!!!! that anyone except a rush OLB wasn’t going to be good enough for fans. Pace likely did take BPA, not BNA (biggest need available) and even though fans know nothing about the guy, they’re mad because he’s never going to be consistently hitting the opposing QB.

22 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The problem isn’t so much the player although that’s where the blame is directed. The anger is directed at Pace likely because everyone is so enamored with PASS RUSH HELP!!!!! that anyone except a rush OLB wasn’t going to be good enough for fans. Pace likely did take BPA, not BNA (biggest need available) and even though fans know nothing about the guy, they’re mad because he’s never going to be consistently hitting the opposing QB.

I think its both.  I think the fact that people dont know anything about him means to them that he must not be a good prospect, because draftniks like to believe they know everything about the draft.  I also think that since he isnt a pass rusher that people think that he doesnt satisfy the need and therefore wasnt a good pick by that reason. Pace has actually done a pretty solid job in the 4th round so i will trust my gm and give the player a chance.

Here's my take on it after time to think about it.

Initially I was worried because if Roquan and Iggy were on the field at the same time, we'd have two undersized ILB's.

If we think we can somehow keep both of them clean though, I think this could work out really well.

My biggest concern with this approach is that I don't think we can do this if Goldman can't stay healthy and fresh, and I'm not sure we added anyone to even be a legit backup for him.

22 minutes ago, bkokot said:

Here's my take on it after time to think about it.

Initially I was worried because if Roquan and Iggy were on the field at the same time, we'd have two undersized ILB's.

If we think we can somehow keep both of them clean though, I think this could work out really well.

My biggest concern with this approach is that I don't think we can do this if Goldman can't stay healthy and fresh, and I'm not sure we added anyone to even be a legit backup for him.

By 2018 NFL standards I wouldn't say Smith is as undersized as people say.  Kendricks in Minnesota only weighs 232. Atlanta starts Deon Jones who only weighs 222. This is where the NFL is going at ILB because it is a passing game today. The way the game is played today you really need an ILB who can play pass but still play the run.

The Bears just drafted Iggy as a developmental guy who can maybe be a starter in 2 years. He might be a better backup then Timu and Jonathon Anderson.

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Im not going to pretend to know anything about him.  But the few people that do know things said he had a 2nd to 3rd round grade.  I think its unfair for us to say there are better prospects available when we literally dont know anything about him.

1) Yeah and so did Beckwith, Brace and 1,000 others that never panned out. 

2) FIFY. Let's not overstate it. MOST did not view him as a 2nd and 3rd round. On average, the consensus rated him 33rd at his position and did not have him being drafted at all.  

So if we're supposed to just take other people's word on it only because we don't know enough about him ourselves, then we can't just choose to only look at the few minority opinions and disregard the rest just because it fits what we wanna believe.  

2 hours ago, TB 1 said:

By 2018 NFL standards I wouldn't say Smith is as undersized as people say.  Kendricks in Minnesota only weighs 232. Atlanta starts Deon Jones who only weighs 222. This is where the NFL is going at ILB because it is a passing game today. The way the game is played today you really need an ILB who can play pass but still play the run.

The Bears just drafted Iggy as a developmental guy who can maybe be a starter in 2 years. He might be a better backup then Timu and Jonathon Anderson.

By 2018 NFL standards Smith isn't undersized at all and if Joel I is 5-8lbs heavier nor is he...this is what the NFL is today.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

1) Yeah and so did Beckwith, Brace and 1,000 others that never panned out. 

2) FIFY. Let's not overstate it. MOST did not view him as a 2nd and 3rd round. On average, the consensus rated him 33rd at his position and did not have him being drafted at all.  

So if we're supposed to just take other people's word on it only because we don't know enough about him ourselves, then we can't just choose to only look at the few minority opinions and disregard the rest just because it fits what we wanna believe.  

Oh, so Iggy may not pan out, you say? You know who else probably won’t? Practically every guy taken in the 4th round and on.

This idea that these mid rounders are valuable is so overblown. Yeah, every now and again you’ll find a Jordan Howard, but there aren’t many guys taken after the 3rd round that are any good.

Pace knows that, you should too, and because of that he took a guy with unbelievable athleticism that could pan out but likely won’t, just like everyone else selected after him.

If you think about the Bears only have 1 ILB that can really cover in Trevathan. NK44 is not bad in coverage, but it isn't really where he thrives.

Now the Bears have added 2 ILBs that can fly and can cover, so clearly that was an issue that Fangio voiced concerns about. At a minimum by adding Smith and Iggy they do not need to worry about depth at the position anymore.

I think we have all known that Timu and Anderson were not fast enough or dynamic enough for Fangio.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If you think about the Bears only have 1 ILB that can really cover in Trevathan. NK44 is not bad in coverage, but it isn't really where he thrives.

Now the Bears have added 2 ILBs that can fly and can cover, so clearly that was an issue that Fangio voiced concerns about. At a minimum by adding Smith and Iggy they do not need to worry about depth at the position anymore.

I think we have all known that Timu and Anderson were not fast enough or dynamic enough for Fangio.

We can also assume that fangio doesn’t feel like the OLB postion is as bad as we think.

With Lynch and a couple vets we may be ok especially if smith can get some sacks via blitz.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Yeah, and honestly even if Iggy becomes a good ST player only, that’d be a good use of a 4th round pick. Most fourth round picks stink.

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Oh, so Iggy may not pan out, you say? You know who else probably won’t? Practically every guy taken in the 4th round and on.

This idea that these mid rounders are valuable is so overblown. Yeah, every now and again you’ll find a Jordan Howard, but there aren’t many guys taken after the 3rd round that are any good.

Pace knows that, you should too, and because of that he took a guy with unbelievable athleticism that could pan out but likely won’t, just like everyone else selected after him.

First of all, for whatever reason, you're arguing points that were not even being debated in the first place. 

Second of all, claiming that mid-rounders are overblown is an terrible take and you would be hard pressed to find any GM or coach to agree with you on that. But I digress. 

Archived