Carlson Is Mr. Wrong After He Misses Right (waived pg. 17)

SemperFeist

This is crazy, has this ever happened this early in a NFL kickers career?  He was drafted in the 6th round and they release him two games into the season?  

Kind of a funny quote Zimmer said about losing that pick.  "We'll get some more sixth-rounders next year, I'm not worried about that. Plus we got three undrafted free agents on the roster, too, so it's probably better than having those sixth-rounders."

They could have got instead in that draft slot JK Scott who looks amazing at punter for Fing Green Bay.  Or Darius Phillips, Valdes-Scantling, John Kelly, Duke Ejiofor, Same Jones, Deon Cain, Ray Ray McCloud, DeShon Elliott, Jack Cichy, Trevon Young, Matt Pryor, Equanimeous St. Brown, Braxton Berrios or Jordan Thomas etc.

So yeah it was a straight up error on the Vikings, especially when you give up on him this quickly but yeah with all those Vets on the sidelines exciting to win a game they should not, would be rough for him.  Daniel Carlson is the all time leading scorer in the SEC and honestly I would not be surprised to see him back in the NFL somewhere.  Honestly it was two games, but good to cut it and be that strict.  But obviously their kicking game has sucked for awhile and their kickers have some metal issues over and over again be in missed short field goals in big games or missed extra points.  Yeah I say fire Mike Priefer, honestly the guy is not doing well at getting the kickers ready and confident.  Sure the head coach can be hard on him, kind of nice to have a special teams coach not as hard as the head coach is on him.  Just that quote he said alone of "a Pro kicker does not miss two in a row" well sad to say that happens all the time!  Sure maybe a Hall of Fame pro kicker does not miss two in a row but many do it constantly and why say that after a kicker is missing and does not have much confidence.

Sure blame Carlson but honestly Priefer is the issue potentially I feel.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kind of a funny quote Zimmer said about losing that pick.  "We'll get some more sixth-rounders next year, I'm not worried about that. Plus we got three undrafted free agents on the roster, too, so it's probably better than having those sixth-rounders."

It really isn't that far off. Point being, late-round picks are largely a dart throw. Here are the 6th and 7th rounders drafted in Zimmer's time here. Not a high success rate.

Bucky Hodges
Stacy Coley
Ifeadi Odenigbo
Elijah Lee
Jack Tocho
Moritz Boehringer
David Morgan
Stephen Weatherly
Jayron Kearse
Tyrus Thompson
B.J. Dubose
Austin Shepherd
Edmond Robinson
Antone Exum
Kendall James
Shamar Stephen
Brandon Watts
Jabari Price

45 minutes ago, Klomp said:

It really isn't that far off. Point being, late-round picks are largely a dart throw. Here are the 6th and 7th rounders drafted in Zimmer's time here. Not a high success rate.

Bucky Hodges
Stacy Coley
Ifeadi Odenigbo
Elijah Lee
Jack Tocho
Moritz Boehringer
David Morgan
Stephen Weatherly
Jayron Kearse
Tyrus Thompson
B.J. Dubose
Austin Shepherd
Edmond Robinson
Antone Exum
Kendall James
Shamar Stephen
Brandon Watts
Jabari Price

I am talking about a kicker in the NFL on a team with no kickers or wanting kicker help.  I cannot recall a time a NFL team that needed a kicker, drafted a kicker they liked then cut him on the 2nd game.  Kickers are not drafted a ton and when they are usually it is for a reason.  Sadly we should have drafted JK Scott who is a fine punter and also is a position of need for the team after we let go of our other punter and have this new guy in...

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I am talking about a kicker in the NFL on a team with no kickers or wanting kicker help.  I cannot recall a time a NFL team that needed a kicker, drafted a kicker they liked then cut him on the 2nd game.  Kickers are not drafted a ton and when they are usually it is for a reason.  Sadly we should have drafted JK Scott who is a fine punter and also is a position of need for the team after we let go of our other punter and have this new guy in...

I know. I was specifically talking about Zimmer's quote.

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

They could have got instead in that draft slot JK Scott who looks amazing at punter for Fing Green Bay.  Or Darius Phillips, Valdes-Scantling, John Kelly, Duke Ejiofor, Same Jones, Deon Cain, Ray Ray McCloud, DeShon Elliott, Jack Cichy, Trevon Young, Matt Pryor, Equanimeous St. Brown, Braxton Berrios or Jordan Thomas etc.

I really have no idea who any of those people are...nor do I think 90% of them will even be in the league in 2 years. 

15 hours ago, Klomp said:

Bucky Hodges
Stacy Coley
Ifeadi Odenigbo
Elijah Lee

Jack Tocho
Moritz Boehringer
David Morgan
Stephen Weatherly
Jayron Kearse

Tyrus Thompson
B.J. Dubose
Austin Shepherd
Edmond Robinson
Antone Exum
Kendall James
Shamar Stephen
Brandon Watts
Jabari Price

I believe all the bolded are on the team or a currentl NFL roster.  Tocho, Robinson, Exum, Price (and maybe Watts?) all made the Vikings roster or practice squad for a least a year or two.

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

I really have no idea who any of those people are...nor do I think 90% of them will even be in the league in 2 years. 

Many of them will be in the league 2 years from now, that would not be a surprise if over half are still in the league 2 years from now.  Like I said JK Scott is a standout punter and should be in the NFL on the freaking Packers for 10-15 years potentially.  Sure you might not know who they are, but someone who follows draft prospects very closely (myself) knows exactly who these guys are. 

Archived