Top 5 QB's in 5 Years?

DoleINGout

On 5/1/2018 at 1:41 PM, DoleINGout said:

You didn't read the first post because Wentz is #3 on my list.

It goes, in order from first to tenth: Allen/Mahomes/Wentz/Garoppolo/Goff/Watson/Darnold/Luck/Ryan/Trubisky

Newton probably will be close to retiring in 5 years because of his playing style and age at that point. Stafford and Newton I see calling it quits that early if they haven't won a Super Bowl. By then, who knows, maybe Matt Ryan will retire and Newton and Stafford will still be chasing trophies. If so, then I'd insert Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott into the tenth spot on my list. Rounding out my top 15 in five years would be Josh Rosen/Stafford/Newton (if they're both still playing). If Newton/Stafford are retired, then in their place would be Baker Mayfield/Derek Carr. Rounding out the top 20 would then be: Mason Rudolph/Jameis Winston/Marcus Mariota/Chad Kelly/Lamar Jackson and either Jacoby Brissett or someone who isn't currently in the NFL for the last spot if Ryan is retired with Newton/Stafford or one of the other QB's unexpectedly is forced to retire due to injuries, (think Andrew Luck).

1. Josh Allen

2. Patrick Mahommes

3. Carson Wentz

4. Jimmy Garoppolo

5. Jared Goff

6. Deshaun Watson

7. Sam Darnold

8. Andrew Luck*

9. Matt Ryan*

10. Mitchell Trubisky

11. Russell Wilson

12. Dak Prescott

13. Matthew Stafford*

14. Cam Newton*

15. Josh Rosen

16. Baker Mayfield

17. Derek Carr

18. Jameis Winston

19. Mason Rudolph

20. Marcus Mariota

21. Kirk Cousins*

22. Chad Kelly

23. Lamar Jackson

24. Jacoby Brissett

25. Andy Dalton*

26. Blake Bortles*

27.-32. Not currently in the NFL, or bridge QB's like Mike White/Kyle Lauletta/Tyrod Taylor*/AJ McCarron*/maybe Ryan Tannehill*, Paxton Lynch* or Luke Falk.

*Likely retired or injured

Chad Kelly over Lamar Jackson? 

Image result for what

• 2 weeks later...

Barring injury (or more injuries, in Wentz's case), 5 years from now:

Wentz

Wilson

Garappolo

Darnold

Winston

If we're talking 2023+, then these 5 will be in the top 5 in different years, and be perennial consensus frachise QB's:   Goff, Watson, Mahomes, Rosen & Cousins. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Barring injury (or more injuries, in Wentz's case), 5 years from now:

Wentz

Wilson

Garappolo

Darnold

Winston

If we're talking 2023+, then these 4 will be in the top 5 in different years, and be perennial consensus frachise QB's:   Goff, Watson, Mahomes & Cousins. 

Famous Jameis? He's got to put it together and get his head on straight, he's been steadily declining from what I've seen...

14 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Famous Jameis? He's got to put it together and get his head on straight, he's been steadily declining from what I've seen...

Have to be contrarian somewhere, it's a pretty vanilla (albeit-youth based) list otherwise.   TBH, those 10 I feel pretty comfortable with, barring injury.   It's figuring out who separates themselves into a top 3-4 tier that we usually see that will be interesting.

I'll go with the physical talent & we know the D-reading skills and mental progression skills are there.   Agree his time is pretty much now (although I think the real bump happens when HC Koetter gets replaced, he's really disappointed me in how vanilla he's become as a HC - as an OC, he was much more aggressive than he is now as a HC - so we might see one more year of pretty flat progression, put him with a guy who's willing to let the training wheels come off, I think we'd see the Big Ben progression <both good and bad> come to pass).

EDIT:   Knew I was forgetting someone...barring injury, have to have Rosen in that list, albeit at the back of that next 5.

Archived