2019 Draft Talk

swede700

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

How much can rookie OL help though? They are usually fairly mediocre in first year unless they are going to be awesome.

If you are in win now mode don't you want veteran OL?

Lots of rookies start on the OL. Seriously. There is always an excuse with this team, which is why they aren't in the playoffs. They don't prioritize the OL in the draft. You need five, not one. Five. Every play. 

I’m not really interested in rehashing the past 5 drafts again, as I’ve done that for you a number of times. The idea that the Vikings don’t spend resources on the OL, whether through the draft or FA, is a false narrative. One that you specifically continue to promote. 

Are the Vikings bad at evaluating OL talent? Maybe. Are they doing a bad job developing the players that the use resources on? Yes. Are they neglecting the position financially or with draft capital. No. 

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I’m not really interested in rehashing the past 5 drafts again, as I’ve done that for you a number of times. The idea that the Vikings don’t spend resources on the OL, whether through the draft or FA, is a false narrative. One that you specifically continue to promote. 

Are the Vikings bad at evaluating OL talent? Maybe. Are they doing a bad job developing the players that the use resources on? Yes. Are they neglecting the position financially or with draft capital. No. 

I clearly said draft in this thread, where you quoted me. The line is terrible, they've made one second round pick. That might be prioritizing it to you, to me it isn't. I literally said draft, in the post you quoted. 

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

And we’ve been through this before. Which  top 2 round draft pick over the past 5 years fixes the line this year or last?

Pretty sure you are right. We have been through this before. I looked and saw several. I am not going to do your research for you again. Where exactly do you think the rest of the league is getting their average to above average lineman from?

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

And we’ve been through this before. Which  top 2 round draft pick over the past 5 years fixes the line this year or last?

Maybe a pick in round two or three, every year, rather than one pick which fixes all the holes should be the answer.... 

Why are you asking which one pick fixes all the issues? That's very not even possible. How about one less hole? Because no one pick is fixing it this year either .... So, pass again? Since one pick won't fix all the problems, which seems to be your requirement? 

We don't agree, but one pick in round two over five years isn't prioritizing things at all, in the draft. And it's been an issue since this GM took over.

Elflein was rd 3, the Vikings traded up for him the year that they didn’t have a 1st round pick.

Bryan O’Neill was a 2nd round pick.

consecutive years spending top 70 picks on OL... Sure seems like they have been using high draft capital on OL to me.

Cody Whitehair is the only OL that the Vikings had a realistic chance at that I think they missed on considering the other players that they have taken. Cody Whitehair is not putting this team in the playoffs.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Elflein was rd 3, the Vikings traded up for him the year that they didn’t have a 1st round pick.

Bryan O’Neill was a 2nd round pick.

consecutive years spending top 70 picks on OL... Sure seems like they have been using high draft capital on OL to me.

Cody Whitehair is the only OL that the Vikings had a realistic chance at that I think they missed on considering the other players that they have taken. Cody Whitehair is not putting this team in the playoffs.

I absolutely agree with you. No doubt, but instead of hitting even on our good players  we could of spent capitol on the Line. I think this is what he is arguing more. 

I still think we have made the correct way of drafting. 

Archived