DeShone Kizer

Golfman

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I guess the irony is he didn't praise his gameday work. 

Do we know that? What evidence is actually out there that any veterans ever actually complained to MM or anyone else about Randall. Thought that was just from some news story from an unnamed "source." 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Do we know that? What evidence is actually out there that any veterans ever actually complained to MM or anyone else about Randall. Thought that was just from some news story from an unnamed "source." 

You're acting like the Packers disclose things like that to the public. No evidence exists other than reading into the vague comments of some of our players in the final two weeks of the season. No evidence ever will exist unless you're Mac or the player.

Daniels was the only guy that seemed to get along with Randall. At least in the world of social media.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You're acting like the Packers disclose things like that to the public. No evidence exists other than reading into the vague comments of some of our players in the final two weeks of the season. No evidence ever will exist unless you're Mac or the player.

Daniels was the only guy that seemed to get along with Randall. At least in the world of social media.

That's why I'm just asking because I truly don't know if that report was legit or not. Hell, I've only heard about 20 different narratives why the Patriots sat their best defensive back during the Super Bowl last year and still today we don't know why. A lot of the Randall narrative has been "well there were actual players who complained about him and wanted him gone then and there" and if that was the case then I can see a real problem and need for his exit. But if the "players complaining" bit is nonsense and this was driven solely by Mac, then I think that is problematic. 

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Daniels was the only guy that seemed to get along with Randall.

Daniels is ostensibly the only defensive leader this team has.  Clay is a nothing leadership wise and never has been.  HHCD is trying to move into that role but hasn't yet.  Burnett was a quiet type.

If Daniels is ok with Randall, clearly the team/locker room could have made it work with Randall long term.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That guy was HHCD. Randall whined about it and was called out by his teammates and coach because in order to get the privilege of complaining about something you have to put in the work to show it doesn't work.

I don't know anything about his practice of film habits but when guys in our locker room are complaining about other guys not all in, and HHCD is out there saying guys are just playing for the Pro Bowl and new contracts it's pretty obvious Randall was one of the culprits they're talking about. NFL announced the Pro Bowl rosters around Dec 20, coincidentally the same time Randall shut it down.

If you're not one of the guys busting your *** to make it work, you don't get to complain about it not working. That's why Randall is gone, not cause he mad MM mad, seems like he made everyone mad.

This. 

And so much more.

Those still whining about trading GB's best "cornerback" refuse to acknowledge the following:

(1) Randall is a Safety not a CB. 

The Cleveland Browns plan to move Randall back to free safety, his collegiate position, full-time. "I think that’s his natural position. I think we all recognize that.” McCarthy said. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/27/mike-mccarthy-admits-damarious-randall-was-playing-out-of-position/

(2) Randall being the "best" of a crappy group of CBs means nothing.

MD Jennings and Jerron McMillian were the "best" options to start at S along side Burnett in 2013. AJ Hawk and Brad Jones were the "best" inside linebackers on the roster to begin the 2014 season. Richard Rodgers was the "best" TE on the roster in 2015. So the F what. Randall, who again is not even being played at CB by the team that traded for, may have been the "best" of a bad group but Gute, Pettine, and MM are obviously aiming for much more at CB than what Randall offered.

(3) Randall was a known attitude problem whom MM obviously did not want on the team.

If anything, MM is known for being a players-coach who is at times too loyal to his players (and coaches). It obviously took a lot for MM to send Randall home during the Bears (nationally televised) game last season.

To Randall's credit, he played better thereafter. However, there were the rumblings that Randall made a "business decision" to sit out games at the end of the year. 

Once the season was over, MM (again who rarely chastises a player in public) announced that  “I’ll tell you what I told Damarious. He needs to focus on himself. He’s got to clean his own house."http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/05/mike-mccarthy-damarious-randall-needs-to-clean-his-own-house/

In the end, the writing was on the wall heading into the offseason that MM (and others in the organization) wanted Randall off the team. Given that reality, what team was going to give up more than a 5th round pick & backup QB for a known malcontent Safety who played out of position for 3 years in Green Bay? I say Gute did as well as he could be expected to do.

Time for the Randall fans to let it go even if Kizer turns out to be no better than Hundley.

7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Daniels is ostensibly the only defensive leader this team has.  Clay is a nothing leadership wise and never has been.  HHCD is trying to move into that role but hasn't yet.  Burnett was a quiet type.

If Daniels is ok with Randall, clearly the team/locker room could have made it work with Randall long term.

We don’t know if Daniels was ok with him or not, him sending a goodbye tweet doesn’t mean anything IMO.

I’ve had plenty of friends on competitive teams that I didn’t want on the team.  You can be friendly with someone while admitting they aren’t helping you win.

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

This. 

And so much more.

Those still whining about trading GB's best "cornerback" refuse to acknowledge the following:

(1) Randall is a Safety not a CB. 

The Cleveland Browns plan to move Randall back to free safety, his collegiate position, full-time. "I think that’s his natural position. I think we all recognize that.” McCarthy said. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/27/mike-mccarthy-admits-damarious-randall-was-playing-out-of-position/

Except that he played corner here.  And arguably was the best corner last year.  That's not a little thing.  And?  For all that DR wasn't as a corner...he did catch interceptions.  The ball finds him and he catches it.  It doesn't clank off his helmet, he catches it.  Some guys just have "it", like the ball likes him, to me, he was one of those guys.  Perhaps he was lucky as opposed to good.  But still, he was a corner here when he played.  I still think he was going to be a good player in that STAR role.  Good, but not great.

(2) Randall being the "best" of a crappy group of CBs means nothing.

MD Jennings and Jerron McMillian were the "best" options to start at S along side Burnett in 2013. AJ Hawk and Brad Jones were the "best" inside linebackers on the roster to begin the 2014 season. Richard Rodgers was the "best" TE on the roster in 2015. So the F what. Randall, who again is not even being played at CB by the team that traded for, may have been the "best" of a bad group but Gute, Pettine, and MM are obviously aiming for much more at CB than what Randall offered.

See above, ball still found him.  And he was going into a pseudo contract year.  Guys tend to play better in those years.

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

(3) Randall was a known attitude problem whom MM obviously did not want on the team.

If anything, MM is known for being a players-coach who is at times too loyal to his players (and coaches). It obviously took a lot for MM to send Randall home during the Bears (nationally televised) game last season.

To Randall's credit, he played better thereafter. However, there were the rumblings that Randall made a "business decision" to sit out games at the end of the year. 

Once the season was over, MM (again who rarely chastises a player in public) announced that  “I’ll tell you what I told Damarious. He needs to focus on himself. He’s got to clean his own house."http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/05/mike-mccarthy-damarious-randall-needs-to-clean-his-own-house/

In the end, the writing was on the wall heading into the offseason that MM (and others in the organization) wanted Randall off the team. Given that reality, what team was going to give up more than a 5th round pick & backup QB for a known malcontent Safety who played out of position for 3 years in Green Bay? I say Gute did as well as he could be expected to do.

Time for the Randall fans to let it go even if Kizer turns out to be no better than Hundley.

I'm not a Randall fan.  Hated the pick.  Was ripped on here for saying so when it happened.  Never cared for his attitude either.  Still doesn't mean I was a fan of the trade, as I didn't like the return.  I felt like he had turned the corner as a player and was going to ascend...freely admit that attitude can sink that ship quickly and his attitude could go south in a hurry.

Just because I copied and posted my thoughts doesn't mean that I don't agree with much of what you said...just explaining where I'm coming from when I think/talk about Randall.

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Did you read the previous post? He praised his OFFSEASON work, therefore, by omission he did not praise his game day work. Doesn't mean he trashed it either.

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Did you read the previous post? He praised his OFFSEASON work, therefore, by omission he did not praise his game day work. Doesn't mean he trashed it either.

Yeah but when you point out that he didn't, the implication seems to that he wasn't happy with that. I know you're going to probably swear that's not what you meant, but that's pretty obvious to me.

18 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah but when you point out that he didn't, the implication seems to that he wasn't happy with that. I know you're going to probably swear that's not what you meant, but that's pretty obvious to me.

I think Randall sucks and am glad he was traded. Isn't it somewhat ironic none of his teammates came to his defense other than Daniels who said something about his off season work. I do believe there is an underlying message there. To me it is more of Daniels trying to say something nine and not offending anyone, which doesn't appear to be his MO. I can't read his mind, but it is sort of ironic no one came to his defense about this trade. 

56 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I think Randall sucks and am glad he was traded. Isn't it somewhat ironic none of his teammates came to his defense other than Daniels who said something about his off season work. I do believe there is an underlying message there. To me it is more of Daniels trying to say something nine and not offending anyone, which doesn't appear to be his MO. I can't read his mind, but it is sort of ironic no one came to his defense about this trade. 

I believe they didn't like him. But if you just had a guy traded for upsetting the apple cart, do you want to go on the record as far as being on his side? No. I'm sure he wasn't well liked but I think there's likely bodies in that locker room that weren't thrilled by it.

Don't take what is said in the media as all that is going on in their minds. I'm obviously speculating which is worse but I think pretending nobody defending publicly him means nobody was on his side personally is flawed logic.

I mean Daniels is supposed to be big leader man who speaks his mind and doesn't care. He obviously didn't have to worry about being traded

13 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I believe they didn't like him. But if you just had a guy traded for upsetting the apple cart, do you want to go on the record as far as being on his side? No. I'm sure he wasn't well liked but I think there's likely bodies in that locker room that weren't thrilled by it.

Don't take what is said in the media as all that is going on in their minds. I'm obviously speculating which is worse but I think pretending nobody defending publicly him means nobody was on his side personally is flawed logic.

I mean Daniels is supposed to be big leader man who speaks his mind and doesn't care. He obviously didn't have to worry about being traded

I agree with most of this. My thinking if there were a lot of teammates who wanted him gone, which appears to be the case, he was a cancer. Not sure too many were shedding tears over his departure. Let's state the obvious, he had a decent rookie year and sucked the next two years. No, he did not have a great second half of the year. He had a decent second half of the year COMPARED to the prior 1.5 years. He was below average, a cancer and I'm glad he's gone. 

The kicker will be if Kizer turns out to be anything. I bet Randall is out of the league by end of 2019. 

54 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I agree with most of this. My thinking if there were a lot of teammates who wanted him gone, which appears to be the case, he was a cancer. Not sure too many were shedding tears over his departure. Let's state the obvious, he had a decent rookie year and sucked the next two years. No, he did not have a great second half of the year. He had a decent second half of the year COMPARED to the prior 1.5 years. He was below average, a cancer and I'm glad he's gone. 

The kicker will be if Kizer turns out to be anything. I bet Randall is out of the league by end of 2019. 

Couldn’t find the exact site I read about Randall but this site has the mention of veteran players asking the staff to cut of Randall last year and the late season injury.

Usually where there’s smoke there’s fire and this is not just “upsetting the apple cart”. Therefore, anything we got for his was a good deal. Thinking Gute got all he could for him  Why do people think we could have done better? Look what some guys, who are better players, got traded for this year. 

https://www.12up.com/posts/5999438-report-group-of-packers-veterans-wanted-damarious-randall-gone-last-season

On 5/8/2018 at 12:54 PM, skibrett15 said:

Isnt that an example of Daniels leadership? A fierce defense that holds players accountable cant have players that pout and blame others for their own issues even if hes the best CB amongst one of the worse secondaries.

I do think Randall is better than he played in GB (MM did admit they played him out of position), but he was also not in the future plans and was going to be on his way out in 2019 (wasn’t getting his 5th year picked up).

We got a better backup qb and improved draft capital (which we used for Burks).

I’m in the not complaining/Let’s see how it plays out camp

Archived