NFC North 2018 Thread

Heinz D.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I think you can. The field conditions in Pittsburgh, Chicago and Houston are typically horrible, especially with the former two for 1.5 months every year. Moving a game from 12 to 7 isn't the issue. It's moving the game from 12 to 7 when one of the two teams play 85 hours later. You're also right about the shoulder, but having another 3 days to rest it would be helpful, no?

you have to stop thinking about this so specifically, and start looking at it in the bigger picture of the entire league.

YES - playing 85 hours after we previously played sucks, BUT guess what, every team that plays on thursday also plays the previous sunday. the lions played on sunday against CAR, WAS played HOU, DAL played ATL, ATL played DAL, NO played PHI. every single one of those teams play on thursday and played sunday. SO this does come down to moving the game from 12 to 7. Could it have been handled differently? the only answers i can think of is to not flex the game into sunday night or change the game from the early thxgiving game to the later thxgiving game (never going to happen), but really, does anyone really think that one team has a DISTINCT advantage of playing 92 hours after their previous game (DET) vs. playing 85 hours after their previous game)

To your other point, field conditions in PIT, CHI, and HOU, while maybe not the greatest compared to the rest of the league, are NOT NEARLY as poor of the condition of the field in MEX. have you ever heard of players saying they would refuse to play if they had to play in a specific stadium before? no, because it's never been an issue. League stadiums are held to a high standard, and the MEX game was not in a league stadium, which is why the standard wasn't maintained and met, and the game was moved.

To your last point, yes, having another 3 days to rest would be helpful, i agree, but regardless, the league isn't going to get rid of thursday night games, there's to much money. and the injury thing is never going to change their mind because statistically, injuries aren't more likely to happen on thursday than saturday. the injury sucks, but the league can't change games just because a team has an injured player. the only thing you'll see come from this is Smith is gonna get a fat fine for a clearly late hit on a sliding (star?) QB, on national TV, that very well could knock that QB out of another nationally televised primetime game that would have been big the league. don't expect him to win his appeal on the fine either.

16 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

you have to stop thinking about this so specifically, and start looking at it in the bigger picture of the entire league.

YES - playing 85 hours after we previously played sucks, BUT guess what, every team that plays on thursday also plays the previous sunday. the lions played on sunday against CAR, WAS played HOU, DAL played ATL, ATL played DAL, NO played PHI. every single one of those teams play on thursday and played sunday. SO this does come down to moving the game from 12 to 7. Could it have been handled differently? the only answers i can think of is to not flex the game into sunday night or change the game from the early thxgiving game to the later thxgiving game (never going to happen), but really, does anyone really think that one team has a DISTINCT advantage of playing 92 hours after their previous game (DET) vs. playing 85 hours after their previous game)

To your other point, field conditions in PIT, CHI, and HOU, while maybe not the greatest compared to the rest of the league, are NOT NEARLY as poor of the condition of the field in MEX. have you ever heard of players saying they would refuse to play if they had to play in a specific stadium before? no, because it's never been an issue. League stadiums are held to a high standard, and the MEX game was not in a league stadium, which is why the standard wasn't maintained and met, and the game was moved.

To your last point, yes, having another 3 days to rest would be helpful, i agree, but regardless, the league isn't going to get rid of thursday night games, there's to much money. and the injury thing is never going to change their mind because statistically, injuries aren't more likely to happen on thursday than saturday. the injury sucks, but the league can't change games just because a team has an injured player. the only thing you'll see come from this is Smith is gonna get a fat fine for a clearly late hit on a sliding (star?) QB, on national TV, that very well could knock that QB out of another nationally televised primetime game that would have been big the league. don't expect him to win his appeal on the fine either.

Yes, teams have canceled at soldier,Canton, and most notoriously the vet, which is probably the worst playing surface EVER in the NFL

Sunday night to Thursday morning is pretty unique.

A day game gives you recovery time before sleep. A night game doesn't. A morning game means your day starts the night before. 

It's the cards they're dealt, and can be a great annealing experience, but this is putting a team in a tough spot in terms of preparation and health, and I don't think there's an argument against that. 

At least the team is young, which probably wipes out the negatives compared to an older team, but it's still a big ask.

On November 20, 2018 at 11:40 AM, RunningVaccs said:

I don't think there is any sort of agenda, and the two situations can't be related, however I do think it's super ****ty of the NFL to give such a short turnaround, especially flexing into it.

Aside from Monday night, then Sunday night to Thursday MORNING is literally the shortest possible turnaround you can assign. Late in the season like this when people are banged up, it shows a real lack of concern for player safety. Making it happen for a division game raises the stakes for the team.

If it was a day game, at least these guys have a chance to have a little team time, then ice up before getting a night of sleep.  After Sundays game, you have to pick; do you leave early and get into recovery, and then get to bed late, or do you go to bed without the rubdown and wake up feeling like ****?  

There's no arguing this isn't bad for the Bears, and I think it's an easy case to make that the NFL shouldn't do this sort of thing

Now if they win and come out clean on Thursday, then this team gets some battle flags and comes out stronger. If they end up with hurt players or play sloppy... 

No agenda other than tv ratings.  I posted that before MT news BTW.

Just saying recovery time is important and Sun night to Thurs day is bad for player safety.   

They were right to move Rams game and they should have never flexed Bears to night game.  

15 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think a lot of people would be happy if the nfl just realized the Thursday games are self defeating, as the games are usually not good and getting star players hurt is bad for the whole season of games

Look all over people, players, coaches are saying this but it's making the NFL and owners money. So it's not going away anytime soon.

Who hurt this poor guy? :D

The slobbering over the Bears disgusts me.  They gave up everything to be pretenders overnight instead of being patient to become contenders in two years.

Everyone's acting like they built a dynasty overnight and nailed everything, absolutely everything, when they haven't won a playoff game yet.

Wait two years to see what happens when their draft capital and position plummets, their cap space is dried up and they can't keep up with teams who have cap space and draft picks.

That dude has been on that train since the Mack trade and refuses to backpedal.  He thought at the time that it wouldn't be s big improvement and would cripple us going forward, but he was all about the packers doing it bc they could win the superbowl.  He doesnt seem to understand the finances of the nfl

15 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That dude has been on that train since the Mack trade and refuses to backpedal.  He thought at the time that it wouldn't be s big improvement and would cripple us going forward, but he was all about the packers doing it bc they could win the superbowl.  He doesnt seem to understand the finances of the nfl

He's so dug in with his opinion that he refuses to accept another alternative. It's almost comical. Personally though I think he might be a little too tipsy atm. xD

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Who hurt this poor guy? :D

9 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I saw those.  Running theme that Bears blew their load on this years free agents and Mack and recent draft picks. So they will suck going forward.

As if they are all on contract only for 2018 and our QB isn't essentially a rookie.

Almost every key player is around 26 and signed through 2020. 

Wishful thinking.  Injury bug can hit, but on paper team was built for 2019 and 2020 run. This season has been gravy and is ahead of schedule.  

Rogers age will catch up with him exponentially too.  That window is closing, they have to hit on every free agent and draft pick and they have to contribute immediately.  And they may have to learn new systems if they bring in all new coaches.

Archived