NFC North 2018 Thread

Heinz D.

23 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

A lot of them still think Thompson is some kind of a football god. Don't ask me why. I'd say the Pack are much better off now, though. 

I don't want to seem like I'm singling @TENINCH out, as it takes two to tango, but...

edcd28b4840277287d791cb07281e725.gif

Let's be real. He probably is. 

Emery was a genius. Nearly as good as Ted Thompson. 

He probably isn’t

1 hour ago, malak1 said:

Guys, guy, guys, please, we all have a common enemy this weekend, the packers. Let’s be civil.

I see your point here and I agree in general. (I want the Packers eliminated from playoff contention as soon as possible--so go Vikes---which also makes week 17 THAT much more exciting) 

However, yes, we both hate the Packers and people like Uncle Buck, who has been big supporters of the Bears for a decade now (while not being a supporter--if that makes sense), do make it hard to hate the Vikings on here. 

BUT, this is war.....so screw everyone else in the division, including the Vikings!

I used to LOVE NFC North battles so I'm glad to see that same excitement and energy from fans return again in full form. But maybe I'm just sick like that. I don't know. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

If he didn’t play in Pittsburgh he might be last. He sucks.

Essentially following in Shazier's shoes is no easy task. Much less playing as well as he has. 

Shazier was putting up DPOY numbers last year before his injury (at an ILB position mid you) and the Steelers clearly fell apart his injury. Filling that spot is not an easy task. 

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Essentially following in Shazier's shoes is no easy task. Much less playing as well as he has. 

Shazier was putting up DPOY numbers last year before his injury (at an ILB position mid you) and the Steelers clearly fell apart his injury. Filling that spot is not an easy task. 

I’m not insinuating that filling Shazier’s spot is easy but I’ve seen 3-4 Steelers games and, while better than he was here, he hasn’t been very good by any means. Still, his effort to fill in has been admirable. I imagine PIT goes after an ILB in the first two rounds in the spring.

(Regardless, give me those other 3 guys over Bostic any day xD)

11 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He probably isn’t

You don't think Cousins is a franchise guy? I certainly do, and am not sure Cutler truly ever was--the Bears just treated him that way. If Cutler was, he was at the very low end of the category, and I don't view Cousins that way at all. The Vikings may have guaranteed a lot to get him to move, but he's not being paid well above the going rate, or anything. 

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I see your point here and I agree in general. (I want the Packers eliminated from playoff contention as soon as possible--so go Vikes---which also makes week 17 THAT much more exciting) 

However, yes, we both hate the Packers and people like Uncle Buck, who has been big supporters of the Bears for a decade now (while not being a supporter--if that makes sense), do make it hard to hate the Vikings on here. 

BUT, this is war.....so screw everyone else in the division, including the Vikings!

I used to LOVE NFC North battles so I'm glad to see that same excitement and energy from fans return again in full form. But maybe I'm just sick like that. I don't know. 

Well, you're certainly sick. We can all attest to that. :P

28 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You don't think Cousins is a franchise guy? I certainly do, and am not sure Cutler truly ever was--the Bears just treated him that way. If Cutler was, he was at the very low end of the category, and I don't view Cousins that way at all. The Vikings may have guaranteed a lot to get him to move, but he's not being paid well above the going rate, or anything. 

Well, you're certainly sick. We can all attest to that. :P

For one, I wouldn't say he isn't paid well above the going rate. He's third in the NFL in average salary/year.

In the NFL, I wonder sometimes about how good someone is if a team allows that player to walk away for nothing. Cousins, essentially, was let go for nothing. He struggled in Washington in big games, and in arguably the Vikings two biggest games this year, they lost (Saints, Bears). He is now something like 4-12 in primetime. He's also something like 4-22 against teams over .500. His career record is under .500. I don't think Cutler was great, but I'm not about to say Cousins is better than Jay was. I think they are/were both good QB's but never the guy, although imo Cutler's best > Cousins' best (see the 5 game win steak for Cutler in 2011 before he broke his thumb; my biggest hot take is that if he stays healthy in 2010 and 2011, they win at least one championship- even constant Cutler haters like Steve Young were praising him in both years).

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think Cutler was great, but I'm not about to say Cousins is better than Jay was. I think they are/were both good QB's but never the guy, although imo Cutler's best > Cousins' best (see the 5 game win steak for Cutler in 2011 before he broke his thumb; my biggest hot take is that if he stays healthy in 2010 and 2011, they win at least one championship- even constant Cutler haters like Steve Young were praising him in both years).

I think Cutler at his best was better than Cousins...his main problem, IMO, is that he was wildly inconsistent (especially with the turnovers), while Cousins isn't. I think the Redskins were wrong to bail on Cousins--it seems like that was a case of Gruden wanting to work with a top talent at the position, and turning to Smith as a bridge. 

14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Let's be real. He probably is. 

No he's not.  I was one of Cutler's biggest detractors and I still think he was a way more talented NFL QB than Cousins is.  I hate to say it but if you were to put an in his prime Cutler on that Minny offense now, that team is likely in 1st place in the North and a SB contender.

What are Cousins strengths that make him worth that much money?  He's fairly accurate but it's not as if he has great arm strength or he's very athletic.  He's just a guy IMO and if he wasn't then I'm pretty sure that Washington would have done everything in their power to keep him over trading for a guy like Alex Smith.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He's just a guy IMO and if he wasn't then I'm pretty sure that Washington would have done everything in their power to keep him over trading for a guy like Alex Smith.

Doesn't that argument assume that Bruce Allen/whoever is more likely to be right than Rick Spielman?

Not sure that's a very sound assumption...

On 11/23/2018 at 9:48 PM, malak1 said:

Guys, guy, guys, please, we all have a common enemy this weekend, the packers. Let’s be civil.

You trying to seduce me with that?

Cause it's working. 

Come week 17 I will be lobbing grotesque Shakespearian insults you you Viking fans...if I remember.  Alcohol, you know.

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

You trying to seduce me with that?

Cause it's working. 

Come week 17 I will be lobbing grotesque Shakespearian insults you you Viking fans...if I remember.  Alcohol, you know.

I'm fairly certain his mother is a snowblower

23 hours ago, topwop1 said:

No he's not.  I was one of Cutler's biggest detractors and I still think he was a way more talented NFL QB than Cousins is.  I hate to say it but if you were to put an in his prime Cutler on that Minny offense now, that team is likely in 1st place in the North and a SB contender.

What are Cousins strengths that make him worth that much money?  He's fairly accurate but it's not as if he has great arm strength or he's very athletic.  He's just a guy IMO and if he wasn't then I'm pretty sure that Washington would have done everything in their power to keep him over trading for a guy like Alex Smith.

Wow I can't believe you're saying this. Cutler was a turnover machine and wildly inconsistent. He could win you a game and throw for 4 amazing TDs or he would throw 3-4 Ints no problem. He may be more talented than Kirk but no way is he a better QB.

23 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Doesn't that argument assume that Bruce Allen/whoever is more likely to be right than Rick Spielman?

Not sure that's a very sound assumption...

Rick is also desperate to win now, which will change his decision making. The Vikings were a QB away (or was the theory at the time).

Archived