Deshone Kizer Appreciation Thread

FGK

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

No denying it, he looked like a man child out there.  But perspective is needed still.  It was one preseason game, his very first one, playing with guys that likely won't make our roster, against guys that likely won't make the Saints roster, and they were playing vanilla D with no real disguising what they were going to do.

I hope that he looks even better every time he touches the field as a Brown, but I do think a few are ready to anoint him as taking over the role of GOAT from Tom Brady just a bit early.

True but a lot of his strengths or the things he was suppose to be know for, were showcased pretty well. The things that were said to make him a great QB prospect showed out last night. To me I think thats why people are liking it. Its not like he was doing anything that should of been a real surprise. Its just a surprise that it came from a Browns QB. 

Kizer took advantage of playing against weaker opponent but he had a weaker supporting cast. I thought brock would be a lot better because even for #1s, Saints have a bad defense in general.

31 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

All true, but consider this, he held the ball a little too long a couple of times, while facing a vanilla schemed D.  What does that project to when he is facing exotic blitzes and coverages designed to confuse a QB?

Thats the mental aspect of the game, that was considered a weakness. They said if you could build up what is between his ears, that you would have something special. Blitzes I am not worried about because last night he showed he wasnt afraid of pressure. He had no issues moving around the pocket and stepping into passes even tho the pressure was there. Seemed like he got a little better when the saints brought pressure.

Some of this throws he held on to the ball too long but some of those seemed like he did that because he was letting WRs to finish their routes. Kizer attacked the field yestersay. He didnt really settle for the check downs

One game doesn't tell us anything and only time will tell.

But it seems like just yesterday when I was making daily "Davis Webb is utter trash" posts and creating "There's no substantive difference between Deshone Kizer and Carson Wentz as prospects" stand alone threads (http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588467).

I seem to recall it was a lonely time back in December being all in on Kizer. It was even tougher to see people hop off the Kizer train in January and then arrive at the opinion that he was "not on Davis Webb's level in terms of accuracy, arm, and poise," after the underwear Olympics. By march, Deshone was the forgotten man for whom many of us thought "yo...is this muther bucker about to fall to round 2...oh my goodness..." Then came the draft...the pick was made and people were upset we didn't take Obi Melifonwu instead.

By draft day no one still believed except for the chosen few.

Fgk;@freakygeniuskid was going around posting links to articles detailing the behind the scenes barriers that Kizer had to overcome at ND trying to get people to hold off on the negative pile on Deshone. It was a tough road for ppl like me, @buno67, @brownie man, and a few others as the Kizer detractors grew into an angry pro Davis Webb, Mitch Trub, or Mahomes mob.

But those few of us who even on draft day thought it was Kizer first then maybe Trubisky second on the list will soon have a chance to have our predictions come to fruition.

The only difference between @brownie man and me now are that he's allowed himself to believe.  He hasn't hesitated in that belief. I admire that, but I just can't believe it yet. I tried to convince so many people with nonquality/super long posts praising Kizer just to now not want to believe

See...the thing is....I've been hurt before.........and I just don't know if I can love again.....

After the Kizer pick, Deep deep down inside I began to remember a whisper of a dream of all the Kizer positive things I once said about him, but now that he was the Browns QB I buried and surpressed all those positives feelings b/c surely something good at the QB position can't really happen here....can it??

I can't even enjoy what he did in game 1 b/c I'm afraid of being hurt again by another QB....

Someone out there help me believe....and love again..............

At this rate I'm not celebrating or believing anything I see until the very end of the season...maybe then I can allow myself to feel that special feeling again.....

One game is right, I hope that this kid is the GOAT before he retires, but we need to keep a level head.  It was the first preseason game, going against the 3rd and 4th stringers of a Saints team with an already weak defense, playing a vanilla scheme.  Yes, he was also playing with 3rd and 4th stringers on our team.  The reality is though, he likely faced much tougher defenses while playing in college than he faced against the Saints.  This was certainly not the Steelers D we will see in week 1.

There is reason for optimism, but not reason for excitement just yet.  

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I was very pleased with Kizers pocket presence and movement, loved the fact he is actually stepping up in the pocket to make his throws

best part was he was stepping into the pressure to make the pass, wasnt scared to get hit

If you look at the other rookie games, they aren't even playing the same position.  All bootlegs, rollouts, sprints, etc.  Moving the pocket and limiting the reads.

Kizer was the only one playing NFL QB.  None of those other QBs stayed in the pocket, manipulating defenders both on the line of scrimmage and in the secondary, like a seasoned pro.

Early results show that we got the best of the bunch, and by a wide margin.  

51 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

If you look at the other rookie games, they aren't even playing the same position.  All bootlegs, rollouts, sprints, etc.  Moving the pocket and limiting the reads.

Kizer was the only one playing NFL QB.  None of those other QBs stayed in the pocket, manipulating defenders both on the line of scrimmage and in the secondary, like a seasoned pro.

Early results show that we got the best of the bunch, and by a wide margin.  

Someone did say that all of the QBs in this draft were projects... they got grilled for it pretty good.  Who was that guy?  The name is on the tip of my tongue :P

I think we're a couple months or so early on this thread.  He played well in game 1, but let's temper our enthusiasm a bit before we go anointing him. We haven't seen him play in games that actually matter and we haven't seen D coordinators game plan for him yet. If he's still playing this well in week 10 or so of the regular season, then I'll be right there with you. Until then, he played very well for a rookie and let's hope he continues.

Archived