What blunder in NFL history matches what JR Smith did in the NBA Finals?

TecmoSuperJoe

On 6/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, Neumatic said:

Everything about the Colts botched 4th Down attempt vs the Patriots. That’s one of the dumbest things iv ever watched in sports.

Thats a good call.  If that had been in the Super Bowl I'd say this but teams that do **** like that don't make Super Bowls

Chris Conte blowing deep coverage in week 17, allowing the Pack to win and eliminating the Bears from the playoffs late in the 4th. 

Of course a Finals game had a ton more weight to it, but GSW still winning in 5 instead of 4, meh. Not a big impact overall IMO. 

Morgan Burnett falling down instead of playing football with 5 minutes left thinking a 22-7 lead was a sure victory.

Peppers told him to slide, which was pure lunacy. But Burnett should have ignored him and ran downfield.

There is no Russell Wilson interception at the end of the Super Bowl that year if Burnett ran another 30 yards and they got a FG out of that drive.

John Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds in Super Bowl 38 was a pretty big blunder. Gave Brady a short field en route to another game winning SB drive. 

That said, I don't think I've ever seen an NFLer do anything as stupid as JR Smith. Definitely not in such a critical moment. 

5 hours ago, ShupacTakur said:

John Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds in Super Bowl 38 was a pretty big blunder. Gave Brady a short field en route to another game winning SB drive. 

That said, I don't think I've ever seen an NFLer do anything as stupid as JR Smith. Definitely not in such a critical moment. 

always wonder the butterfly effect possibilities of brady taking the L in some of those superbowls in the early 2000s

Kyle Shanahan when he called up a passing play up 8 points on 2nd down, with less than 4 mins to go on the Pats 22. 

He was quoted after the game thinking we were farther back at around the 30.

One of the dumbest play calls of all time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 1:49 PM, lancerman said:

The Cavs were tied with less than 5 seconds left  at the free throw line. JR Smith got the rebound with the perfect opportunity to drive and get the game winning layup. Instead he retired from the NBA to play professional baseball. 

On 6/11/2018 at 12:00 PM, ShupacTakur said:

John Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds in Super Bowl 38 was a pretty big blunder. 

IMO one of the most overlooked and underrated NFL screw-ups. Sending a kickoff out of bounds is terrible no matter when you do it, but in the Super Bowl with relatively little time remaining and the opposing team needing to score? Not sure how it gets much worse than that. 

Archived