2nd year players most likely to breakout as STARS in 2018?

VanS

As far as for Texans - I've already used Zach Cunningham as a name worthy of note in another thread, but I'll echo it here.

I'll put a bit more focus on the 2nd name I mentioned, DE Carlos Watkins. He was pressed into action following a torn triceps muscle ended Christian Covington's season, and he eventually found himself lining up at NT and DE in games. He was a slow starter, but towards the end of the season, you saw him beating single blocks, splitting the occasional double team and really crashing the pocket. With JJ Watt and Covington coming back, Wilkins has earned a shot at snaps vs Covington and might even get into a timeshare with Watt early on. Watkins has the tools and skill to be a pretty versatile guy on the Texans front.

It has to be Pat Mahommes for the Chiefs or we’re in for a looooong season.

but I’d also love KPass to step up and become a legit 2nd option to Houston off the edge. He’s got the tools so stranger things have happened 

54 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Dalvin Cook hands down for O.   Corey Davis at WR.   It might be a year early but David Njoku at TE.   I do think Mixon takes a big step forward but I think it pales to Cook’s potential in that O with such little competition.  Walton and Bernard have a good chance to eat into Mixon’s ceiling. 

As a sleeper breakout I think Cooper Krupp has immense appeal in that O.  

I agree with Sydney Jones for CB but I also think Fabian Moreau and Gareon Conley should step up as part of that deep CB class.   

I’d say Reuben Foster but I don’t know that the breakout didn’t already happen as a top 5 ILB already.  

Conley is someone I think will be much much improved this year. I like jones but he seems to be the easy pick here.

i do not rate Mixon

Mike Williams WR 

Corey Davis WR (If he plays 16 games he'll have over 1000 yards)

Derek Barnett DE

Ryan Ramczyk OT (He kinda already broke out as a rook, but by years end I think he'll be the consensus #2 RT in the NFL after Lane)

Zay Jones WR (Assuming he remembered how to catch)

Joe Mixon RB

Sidney Jones CB

Ahkello Witherspoon CB

Raekwon McMillan LB

Alex Anzalone LB 

Chad Williams WR 

Dede Westbrook WR

Marlon Mack RB (I really like what the Colts did at OG in the draft, and so should Mack)

George Kittle TE

Jake Butt TE (Maybe not a star, but good)

Blair Brown LB (Gonna be a beast)

Corn Elder CB (Assuming he wins the starting slot cb role)

Aaron Jones RB

Both Chargers OG's

Obviously a lot of these guys basically took RS rookie seasons.

6 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

As far as for Texans - I've already used Zach Cunningham as a name worthy of note in another thread, but I'll echo it here.

I'll put a bit more focus on the 2nd name I mentioned, DE Carlos Watkins. He was pressed into action following a torn triceps muscle ended Christian Covington's season, and he eventually found himself lining up at NT and DE in games. He was a slow starter, but towards the end of the season, you saw him beating single blocks, splitting the occasional double team and really crashing the pocket. With JJ Watt and Covington coming back, Wilkins has earned a shot at snaps vs Covington and might even get into a timeshare with Watt early on. Watkins has the tools and skill to be a pretty versatile guy on the Texans front.

When it comes to the Texans, I'm excited to see what Dylan Cole does next year.  He was very impressive for an undrafted rookie free agent last year. 

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

When it comes to the Texans, I'm excited to see what Dylan Cole does next year.  He was very impressive for an undrafted rookie free agent last year. 

The hope is he's going to play both OLB and ILB. He really impressed in limited action at ILB, and he's got incredible athleticism to give Clowney and Mercilius some time off in game. He's also a pretty strong ST contributor, so he's gonna get plenty of opportunities to make plays.

For the Raiders all eyes are on Gareon  Conley. If you remember, he was regarded as a top 15ish pick in last year's draft but the bogus allegations against him caused him to drop to the late 20s. Rookie season was marred by a weird shin injury (only played in 2 games) but when he played he looked the part. Big, leggy corner who can run. 

Around the league:

Joe Mixon - Rookie year wasn't great but I just dont see how he doesn't become a good player. Dude is too gifted not to be good.

Curtis Samuel - Explosive chesspiece player who can hurt you in alot of ways if used correctly. 

Forrest Lamp - See him as a guy who will be very good from the jump. 

I'm going to be a homer and say both our first rounders from last year.

Corey Davis- Injury free. Full offseason with a healthy Mariota. Playing in (what should be) a legit offensive system. Saw glimpses of his talent throughout last season(especially the Pats game). All points to a potential breakout year.

Adoree Jackson-Because of the great play of other rookie CBs(Lattimore and White), I think his rookie year got somewhat overlooked by some. Far exceeded many expectations for his rookie year. I think by last season's end, he was our best CB. Now with (what hopefully is) a strengthen defense and playing under a DB coach with a high reputation(former OSU DB coach Kerry Coombs), he could really become a household name to casual fans. I could see him mirroring Byard, in which he had 0 INTs his first season and is near the league leader in INTs in year 2.

Archived