2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

Not a lot of Lamar Jackson love on this forum.  I’ve seen him mocked #1 overall in a different reputable website.  He’s the most dynamic runner at qb since Michael Vick.  Is his passing ability so bad that you pass up his athleticism?  Asking for a friend...

If the Browns get the #1 overall pick, I could see him going #1 overall. Nuff said.

All jokes aside, I think his passing is bad enough to drop from the 1st to the late 2nd/early 3rd. He has tremendous athletic ability, but as a QB, he's a shot-in-the-dark prospect. I think he may be able to switch positions, which could be a good thing. But then, do you want to be the coach/gm that takes a gadget guy with a 1st round pick? 

17 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If the Browns get the #1 overall pick, I could see him going #1 overall. Nuff said.

All jokes aside, I think his passing is bad enough to drop from the 1st to the late 2nd/early 3rd. He has tremendous athletic ability, but as a QB, he's a shot-in-the-dark prospect. I think he may be able to switch positions, which could be a good thing. But then, do you want to be the coach/gm that takes a gadget guy with a 1st round pick? 

Jake Locker went 8th overall and he wasn't even a quarter of the passer Lamar is. If Lamar Jackson falls out of the top 10, it will be a shame, barring anything happening off the field between now and draft time.

Lamar has work to do as a quarterback, but he has that flick of the wrist kind of arm strength. Ball just effortlessly flies out of his hand and as we all know, he has special, special athletic ability. 

You need to have your offense fit these guys, but if you cater to their talents, they can have success at the NFL level as we've seen with guys like Cam Newton and Mike Vick. You could even put Alex Smith in that grouping if you look at how Andy Reid has adapted the offense in KC to fit the strengths of Alex Smith and his weapons. 

2 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Jake Locker went 8th overall and he wasn't even a quarter of the passer Lamar is. If Lamar Jackson falls out of the top 10, it will be a shame, barring anything happening off the field between now and draft time.

Lamar has work to do as a quarterback, but he has that flick of the wrist kind of arm strength. Ball just effortlessly flies out of his hand and as we all know, he has special, special athletic ability. 

You need to have your offense fit these guys, but if you cater to their talents, they can have success at the NFL level as we've seen with guys like Cam Newton and Mike Vick. You could even put Alex Smith in that grouping if you look at how Andy Reid has adapted the offense in KC to fit the strengths of Alex Smith and his weapons. 

How did Jake Locker work out? Asking for a friend.

Lamar isn't anywhere near as bad accuracy wise as Locker. But lets not be too revisionist, Locker was a really nice prospect that never developed past his Junior college campaign. He was a really good prospect coming out that simply could never attain the accuracy needed for an elite NCAA season much less a NFL season.

Lamar Jackson is closer to RGIII than Jake Locker, but without the insane deep ball that RGIII had. Then again, Lamar has a better grasp of the pocket and making traditional passes than RGIII had coming out.

I think Rosen, Darnold and Lamar are top 5 picks. After that I see Baker as a top 10 pick. Then its a huge drop-off and becomes 'flyer' territory and the likes of Mason Rudolph, Josh Allen, Ryan Finley all of whom are top 75 picks, but closer to 75 than R1 IMO.

23 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I'd argue that Newton has been average-slightly above average. 2 10 win seasons (also his only 2 winning seasons). Aided by really solid defenses. For every WOW play, he seems to make 3 or 4 headscratchers. The size difference between he and Jackson is huge too. He can take hits that Jackson can't. 

Mike Vick was good not great as well. Didn't have a 3000 yd season until 2010. Aside from that 21-10 TD-INT ratio, his career best was 20-13. Sub 60% completion rating. 1 season with 10+ wins with Atlanta. Only 2 overall as a starter. Arguably aided by playing in a weak division during his time in Atlanta. Best attribute was his running (see Kaepernick/Griffin) and being fun to watch. And I think he was a much better passer than Lamar Jackson. 

Alex Smith's biggest issue was the incompetency of the 49ers during his early career. How many different OC's did he have? And the talent around him was absolute garbage 90% of the time. While he doesn't throw a bunch of TD's, he's shown to be underrated at moving the ball with his arm and legs. When given a competent coaching staff, he's played very well. Well enough I would probably take him over Newton (personal opinion only). He was far more polished a passer than any of Newton, Vick, Locker, or Jackson coming out. 

Jake Locker was a mistake. I'd hedge my bets that GMs are bright enough to cue in on that given the flameouts of the Lockers, Griffins, and Manziels of the world. 

Needing to have offense tailored to guys like Jackson has proven to have poor results. It failed with Griffin and Kaepernick. Vick was fun to watch and play with on Madden, but the on field results were mixed. Newton has had his successes and failures and much of his success has been defensively driven. The Titans had no plan for Locker in the post VY years at all to begin with. I'd argue that in the case of Alex Smith, we've rarely seen offenses tailored to his talents, talents which are very dissimilar to Lamar Jackson's. 

On 11/5/2017 at 12:45 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Agreed. I hate when people overcorrect for overrated prospects.

1. Darnold gets talked about as Andrew Luck type prospect.

2. People see him throw a few INT's this year.

3. He's garbage and should go back to school.

When in reality, it should have been:

1. Darnold looks really good, but he'll need to continue progressing to be an Andrew Luck type prospect.

2. Darnold has thrown some picks, looks like a mortal capable of making errors.

3. Darnold still has a great ceiling and a relatively low floor, which for a QB prospect, is worthy of a #1 overall selection.

This happens year in and year out. People hear "overrated" enough times and start drastically dropping guys on their draft boards. He's still the frontrunner for the #1 pick in my opinion. Yes, he might go back for his senior season. But it isn't because his stock has plummeted. I don't know NFL people, but I'm willing to bet he's 95% of most NFL teams top QB and therefore, a QB-needy team at #1 overall (Browns) would be the logical selection. Will he peace out to avoid Cleveland? Maybe. But people are freaking out about a few bad performances that really weren't all THAT bad.

There's probably too much overcompensation going on with Darnold.  But i think the bigger issue that's really put a dent in his stock is more people just watching him more closely and seeing some ugly stuff in his throwing motion.  That windup stuff is one of those things that's incredibly hard to break a QB of at that stage in their career.

On 11/5/2017 at 1:20 AM, jrry32 said:

I cautioned people before the season that they were overrating Darnold, and now, people have gone too far in the other direction. Darnold should declare. I'd definitely take him top 5. He's a young kid, and he'll have growing pains, but he's a phenomenal talent. The kid is making a mistake if he goes back to SC. 

I fully agree, pro GM's seriously question a players commitment to his chosen profession if he returns to school and that alone, will drop him significantly in the following year's draft.

A QB has to make a monstrous adjustment when moving up to the next level and to waste a year getting coaching from a college coach, who has little commitment to improving your potential as a pro, rather than, go pro and receive strong coaching from a professional QB coach, is just absurd IMO and will cost you an awful lot of money, when you fall on draft day. 

Archived