2018 Draft Eligible QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Yes, there's no doubt Rosen is the most NFL ready QB in this class. He's far and away the best passer right now, with intelligence through the roof. However, with his lack of mobility, and history of concussions, there's legitimate concern that his career could be cut short at any moment. 

Pretty much. This is the reason I have Darnold ahead right now. I wouldn't be mad if the Browns took any of the top 4 QB's to be honest, but I think Darnold's upside and low floor combine to make him the safest QB to take. I actually think the top 3 (Sam/Rosen/Baker) are all very safe. I don't think any of those three will flat-out suck. And I'm willing to take a flier on the athleticism and arm strength of Josh Allen, although he has a significantly higher chance to flame out. I think taking any QB other than Darnold at #1 would be a mistake, but not a catastrophic one. It'd be like getting a B+ on a test in which you could have gotten an A. And Josh Allen is like cheating on a test. You could get an A+, but if you try and get too cute, you could wind up with a 0.

All of the focus has been on the first 6 or 7 that are expected to be drafted. I've been looking at the 3rd-7th round guys. Who has the potential to be a future starter in the league?

My top two are Benkert and Silvers. Benkert has been talked about but no one has mentioned Brandon Silvers. I think with a couple years of seasoning he could be good.

64.4% 10,677yds 7.1y/a 71TD 29INT career numbers. And go.

Kurt Benkert is going to be a starting QB in the NFL. I'd take him in the late 1st if I needed a QB. Smooth, good size, solid athlete, great arm, very accurate down the field. Throws with anticipation and scans the entire field. His issues are his confidence. If things are going poorly early on, he struggles to get in a rhythm. He's the kind of QB that rides solely on momentum.

On 4/12/2018 at 6:51 AM, goldfishwars said:

And that is why I really really want lamar in Jacksonville.  The mesh, high/low concepts are staples of what the Jaguars passing game along with some zone read/rpo plays.

That and you put him in the same backfield as Fournette and teams will have to choose wisely which home run threat will kill them

3 hours ago, Speedyg said:

And that is why I really really want lamar in Jacksonville.  The mesh, high/low concepts are staples of what the Jaguars passing game along with some zone read/rpo plays.

That and you put him in the same backfield as Fournette and teams will have to choose wisely which home run threat will kill them

Given how the stock for the top 4 QB have gone I just don’t see any realistic chance anyone in the 20’s sniffs Lamar.   As crazy as it sounded pre-Senior Bowl I think you have to get to 1.14 if you want him.  I just don’t see ARI passing on him.  

On 4/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Mason Rudolph in the 1st round would kill me! He's not that good. I don't honestly think I'd take him in the 3rd round. Nowhere enough physical tools to become a great QB in my opinion.

You expect great QB's in the 3rd round?

On 4/13/2018 at 1:07 AM, kingseanjohn said:

All of the focus has been on the first 6 or 7 that are expected to be drafted. I've been looking at the 3rd-7th round guys. Who has the potential to be a future starter in the league?

My top two are Benkert and Silvers. Benkert has been talked about but no one has mentioned Brandon Silvers. I think with a couple years of seasoning he could be good.

The only problem with drafting a QB past round 2 or even in round 2 or even late round 1 is the % for success. 

Later round one after the 12th pick = around a 6% chance for success

Round 2 falls in the 5% chance at success and round 3 and later = about a 3% chance at success or less depending on which later round you are talking about!!!

It isn't impossible to find a franchise QB after the first 12 picks, but I would not want to put my job on the line drafting one to be my starter. If a Brady pops up great, but I am using a very late pick with that gamble!

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

The only problem with drafting a QB past round 2 or even in round 2 or even late round 1 is the % for success. 

Later round one after the 12th pick = around a 6% chance for success

Round 2 falls in the 5% chance at success and round 3 and later = about a 3% chance at success or less depending on which later round you are talking about!!!

It isn't impossible to find a franchise QB after the first 12 picks, but I would not want to put my job on the line drafting one to be my starter. If a Brady pops up great, but I am using a very late pick with that gamble!

Agreed. With the Chiefs getting Mahomes last year, I'm more looking for the backup who can start a couple games if needed. I don't want to rely on Henne or McGloin.

On 4/13/2018 at 7:47 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Kurt Benkert is going to be a starting QB in the NFL. I'd take him in the late 1st if I needed a QB. Smooth, good size, solid athlete, great arm, very accurate down the field. Throws with anticipation and scans the entire field. His issues are his confidence. If things are going poorly early on, he struggles to get in a rhythm. He's the kind of QB that rides solely on momentum.

Benkert has a great arm, solid mobility, and can really throw the ball when he's in rhythm. My problems with the guy are that I didn't see the anticipation you did and he had a tendency to fall apart when pressure started getting home. I felt he was late on throws because he had to see it before he threw it, he had a tendency to stare down WRs, and he had a nasty tendency to drop his eyes when pressure started getting to him. I actually think there's a lot to work with if you get him in the 3rd to 5th range. The guy has all the arm talent in the world. But I wouldn't take him as early as you suggest.

On 4/12/2018 at 11:07 PM, kingseanjohn said:

My favorite Day 3 QB is Logan Woodside of Toledo. His lack of size and underwhelming arm strength will drop him, but he has the tools to be a quality backup and possibly even a starter in the right offense. My two biggest concerns with him are the bad decisions when he tries to play the hero and the taking of unnecessary sacks. But he demonstrates great touch, starting caliber mental processing speed, good recognition of coverage, accuracy at all levels of the field, the ability to throw with anticipation, good overall mechanics, toughness and movement in the pocket, solid mobility to improvise, the ability to manipulate the defense with his eyes, and impressive coverage recognition. I'd like to see him improve at finding his HB when the defense brings pressure, throwing the ball away rather than taking sacks, not forcing the ball when the play isn't there, and consistently setting his feet before throwing (occasionally rushes a throw when he sees a wide open WR leading to the ball sailing on him).

Woodside's arm strength may scare away some teams, but he has a lot of really good qualities that compensate for him. He makes a number of "wow" throws each game into tight windows, and he will make NFL throws with anticipation. I saw him throw an intermediate out route with anticipation from the pocket while getting hit. It would have been an impressive completion for a NFL QB.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

My favorite Day 3 QB is Logan Woodside of Toledo. His lack of size and underwhelming arm strength will drop him

I thought his arm strength was more than sufficient at Toledo. He's got a ton of ability. I watched every Toledo game this season because one of my former HS kids is their RB and every game I saw, Logan Woodside was ripping it up. Except Appalachian State...he was poopy in that one. If you like Baker Mayfield, you'll like his poor man's version in Logan Woodside.

12 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I thought his arm strength was more than sufficient at Toledo. He's got a ton of ability. I watched every Toledo game this season because one of my former HS kids is their RB and every game I saw, Logan Woodside was ripping it up. Except Appalachian State...he was poopy in that one. If you like Baker Mayfield, you'll like his poor man's version in Logan Woodside.

I'd say it's adequate at best. The nice part of the Toledo offense is that they ask the QB to make NFL throws. Woodside has the arm to get it deep. He can zip it in over the middle. But he struggles making field-side throws to the sideline. He has to put air under it. The nice thing is that he throws with tremendous anticipation and timing. He's got his physical limitations, but I like his skill-set. I think he'd be a good fit for the Rams as a backup behind Goff. I like him in the McVay offense.

He doesn't improvise like Mayfield, but I agree that they have a lot of similarities. They both have that same big flaw: They try to play the hero and hurt their team at times. Personally, I think it's easier to coach a guy to take less risks than it is to coach a guy to take more risks. So I'm willing to work with that.

Archived