2018 Draft RB Thread

CalhounLambeau

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Fuente has no rhyme or reason for his running back rotation, so Travon McMillian doesn't get much love, but is there any draft potential for him?

I liked him last year and was wondering what was going on as it doesn't seem he gets used as much anymore.

On another note, are the clips of Martez Carter from Grambling real time speed? Someone has to be fast forwarding only him in these videos right? Holy hell

4 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

I liked him last year and was wondering what was going on as it doesn't seem he gets used as much anymore.

On another note, are the clips of Martez Carter from Grambling real time speed? Someone has to be fast forwarding only him in these videos right? Holy hell

Martez Carter is fast. I know people will knock the level of competition, but he's really good. He has that weird "stop-start without ever really stopping" thing. And his balance and awareness of the sidelines is phenomenal. I've gone up that way from New Orleans a few times to watch him in person. 

19 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Martez Carter is fast. I know people will knock the level of competition, but he's really good. He has that weird "stop-start without ever really stopping" thing. And his balance and awareness of the sidelines is phenomenal. I've gone up that way from New Orleans a few times to watch him in person. 

Dude has juice, looks like a combo of Tyreek Hill and Eric Bieniemy.

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Opinions on SD State RB Rashaad Penny?

I like this dude, saw him last year when watching Pumphrey. Has a second gear with quicks that are pretty impressive, good vision, can catch out of the backfield and he's well built. He's listed at 220 or so but I'm not sure he weighs quite that much and he doesn't run like a 220 lb RB, he'll break some arm tackles but he'll never square up with a defender and run through him or push the pile. His lack of physicality is very apparent in pass pro, needs work there. He just seems like one of those RBs that could be had in the middle rounds and possibly exceed expectations in a RBBC or a change of pace guy. He's bendy and flexible as hell haha, I thought for sure he tore something in his leg on a play against Stanford when he got rolled up on but popped right up afterwards, so there's that.

On 10/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, Jeezla said:

Opinions on SD State RB Rashaad Penny?

My review of him based off a recent game.

Rashaad Penny  | 4SR |  DOB: 02/02/96  | 5’10” 220e | San Diego State
Position: Runningback  |  Projection: NA  |  Comp: NA

Games Evaluated: 
Background: California native. Three-star recruit according to ESPN. Communications major. Played in 13 games as a freshman. Played in 14 games as a sophomore. Played in 14 games as a junior. Voted a 2017 team captain. Older brother Elijhaa Penny played at Idaho and also the NFL.

Positives: Ideal middle-sized running back size with a strong, filled out frame from top to bottom. Thick thighs, big bubble and strong ankles with good upper body musculature. Ideal body proportion and height to weight ratio. Above average speed and is especially light on his feet. Gashes defenses for big gains and has the juice to take it to the house. Can slightly lean down his hips in traffic and turn them easily in space. Runs with exception vision. Works between the tackles and almost always picks the best route. Glides from gap to gap with little wasted motion. Reacts to what he sees quickly. Understands his limitations and generally makes positive yards. A north to south runner who doesn’t wear dance shoes. Patient and forces the issue when necessary. Occasionally makes a subtle move to avoid contact and shows some niftiness/nuance. Runs hard from start to finish and handles a lot of contact from front seven defenders. Shows good hands and looks natural catching the ball. Regularly moved around and utilized as a receiver in different alignments. Shows want-to and physicality in pass protection. Comes from a good family and there are no off-field concerns of note. A team leader who has the respect of teammates.

Negatives: Lower body flexibility leaves a lot to be desired. Cannot drop his hips. Lacks a different dimension as a runner because he cannot sink his weight and change direction. Physical limitations generally keep him walled between his tackles. Lacks contact balance and runs upright which causes him to go down much too easy. Doesn’t bounce off contact and get a second life. Too often gets tripped up and falls down. Due to athletic limitations and pad level he doesn’t generate enough power. Would like to see more violence and assertiveness in some of his runs. Lacks of lower body flexibility hurts his effectiveness in the pass game and will limit his ability to utilize his long speed at the next level. Despite his vision and body proportion his running style and athletic  limitations will lend itself to a lot of hits. May struggle to stay healthy.

He's not eligible this year but Zach Moss was so impressive vs USC. I choked when he ran over Cameron Smith.

I'm getting a crush on Kerryon Johnson. He's using Le'Veon patience and showing burst, power and lateral quickness. Looks and plays a lot bigger than 6'0 195.

It's been a lot of fun over the last few years as a UGA fan, we have had some really good RBs to watch.

However, this year with Mr Chubb and Sony Michel has been something else to watch. These kids are so good.. and than we have one hell of a backup crew with Herrien, Swift, and Hollyfield (I don't think I forgot anyone..).

We are legitimately 5-6 deep at RB.

He's obviously not draft eligible but I didn't want to create a separate thread for a guy I didn't know much about but have any of you guys watched Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin? Is he that good or is it a lack of competition/great line? He's been remarkably productive for a freshman.

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

He's obviously not draft eligible but I didn't want to create a separate thread for a guy I didn't know much about but have any of you guys watched Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin? Is he that good or is it a lack of competition/great line? He's been remarkably productive for a freshman.

Compared him to Saquon Barkley before the season. I stand by that comparison.

Archived